The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 03-29-2009, 07:36 PM   #1
eagle697
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default acceptable meat

I am gearing up for the first comp of the season this weekend in Thomaston. ONe of the guys on the team has started a bbq restaurant and we were going to get meat from his store and use for the comp. My questions is this: The buts, ribs, and brisket he gets comes in cases that are sealed as a whole, not individually. As we will not be cooking a whole case if any of these, would it be acceptable to bring the meat in gallon or two gallon zip bags, as long as we brought the tag from the cases of meat to show that they are usda approved? To me, this is no difference than pre-trimming chicken and bringing the label. By the way, this is a FLorida BBQ comp, if it matters. THanks for the help

2 NB Banderas, Imperial Kamado #5, Imperial Kamado #0, Large Grill Dome, Large Primo Kamado, 22.5 Weber Silver, 18.5 Weber Silver
eagle697 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-29-2009, 07:56 PM   #2
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

I know for KCBS that would be fine.

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-29-2009, 07:59 PM   #3
MilitantSquatter

Usually it will be fine but check with the contest organizer.

In some instances, the local health department may be present in addition to the regular inspection by the sanctioning body and it could be a PITA.

Unread 03-29-2009, 07:59 PM   #4
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.

You don't even have to bring labels. That's really ridiculous that some meat inspectors require it.
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-29-2009, 09:15 PM   #5
Coz
is One Chatty Farker

PM Rub I think does a lot of those comps.He should be able to steer you to the correct answer.
Stumps Clone " CHRISTINE " ONE Evil Biotch and another in process

BRINGIN' THE HEAT BBQ Team
just Cloning around
Coz is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-29-2009, 09:47 PM   #6
blues brother
Full Fledged Farker

Hey Eagle...
I have competed in FBA comps in the past with "case bought meat" and only brought the meat and the "label" off of the case and had no problem.
Just to be safe PM rub to make sure.

Good luck and come by for a cocktail with the Barnesville Blues Brothers...
1 GF223 Stump Smoker
1 250 gal propane tank cooker(trailer mounted)
1 UDS to be...soon
1 Traeger

NEVER TRUST A SKINNY COOK!
blues brother is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-30-2009, 12:47 PM   #7
Divemaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

I've never had a problem... Of course, all the case meat I get from RD is cryo-sucked execpt for the chicken... That I cryo-suck after trimming....

I've only been asked once for a label and that was on pork.... He wanted to confirm the weight... I handed him a double butt cryo that I knew was close to 16 pounds and he told me 'Never Mind'....
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-30-2009, 03:43 PM   #8
TexEx
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_in_KC View Post
You don't even have to bring labels. That's really ridiculous that some meat inspectors require it.
From the FBA Rules MEAT INSPECTION - All meats must be USDA or state DA inspected and passed. ......

We use the labels as evidence that the meat passed USDA or DA inspection. If you open the original wrapper and repackage save the labels and bring them with you. If you use meat from a case and the individual pieces are not labeled then tear off the label from the box and bring it with you. Not hard to do and it will suffice to pass the rules of the Sanctioning body (FBA).
Does anyone know of another way to show evidence of USDA or DA inspection without the labels?

Ray

TexEx Hook'em Horns!
FBA Member. FBA MCBJ.
KCBS 62294
Char-Griller Super Pro. Char-Broil Gasser.
[LEFT][FONT=Arial][I]Orange[/I][/FONT] Thermapen.[/LEFT]
TexEx is offline   Reply With Quote