Ok, I have a turkey in the freezer and whole chickens are on sale this week, so I have some questions. I have only grilled chicken pieces, never smoked a whole bird. I don't have a rotisserie and I will be using a horizontal offset.
Brining or injection?
- What kind of container big enough for a few birds?
- Where do you get the container at a reasonable price?
- Recommended ingredients for a simple brine?
- Does anyone inject instead of brining?
Rubs and seasoning. Eventually I will try Plowboy's yard bird, but for now I need something off the shelf or out of the cabinet.
- Off the shelf recommendations?
- Simple home made rub?
Yard bird method. Pros and cons?
- Spatchcock? I've never heard of this before I got on this forum. I am assuming that means cut down the back and laid flat. Pointers?
- Whole, breast up or down? Flip it?
- Approximate cook times and temp for each method?
Turkey method. It's about 12 lbs.
- Breast up or down? Flip it?
- Approximate cook time and temp?