MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 03-27-2009, 12:12 PM   #1
cfbeagle
Found some matches.

Default How to cook lots of Baked Beans

I would be interested in how you bake large quantities of beans. Such as 2 to 5 gallons.

I am researching opening a roadside BBQ stand. Seems that the HD requirements are not to difficult here in MS. I begin with something simple like Pork Sammies and potato chips.

I would like to also serve baked beans so that brings me to the question how do you cook them efficiently?

Thanks
Blake
cfbeagle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2009, 12:15 PM   #2
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

Buy #10 cans premade.

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 01:09 PM   #3
The Anchorman
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC PIG ASSASSINS View Post
Buy #10 cans premade.
R U Serious

Beans are the easiest thing to make. Where do you think the expression "You don't know beans" came from?

The Anchorman's Bacon Boston Baked Beans

3 # dry beans power soaked (boil 1 1/2 gal of H20, put in dry beans soak for 1 hour)
1 pound bacon cut into small pieces
1 Large Spanish Onion medium diced
2 ounces mustard prepared and your choice
1 12 ounce jar of mollasses
1 1/2 cup brown sugar light or dark your choice
Salt and pepper to taste

cook bacon until almost crisp
add diced onion, cook until desired doneness

add all ingredients into a 2 gallon bean pot

cover with enough water to cover by an inch

place in 350 degree oven for aprox 5 hours

should be just right Yield about 2 gallons

I just made enough for 100 people, they freeze well just defrost them under refridgeration for a couple of days. Do Not heat them from a frozen state they will turn into mush.

BWS Party, Chubby, WSM, 4 Kettles, 3 Performers, 1 Smokey Joe Platininum, Weber Genisis B, 2 Grey Thermopens
KCBS CBJ
The Anchorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 03-27-2009, 02:16 PM   #4
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

I am very serious. Making a simple thing like baked beans is a waste of time imo. You can get store purchased and add to them if you want. They are way to cheap to buy, why make them? Concentrate on the important things.

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Old 03-27-2009, 02:24 PM   #5
The Anchorman
is One Chatty Farker

well cfbeagle you can do what you want. if you want to cook like they do in New Jersey thats well and good. It probably is ok to have your product taste like all the rest of the canned beans. Heck lots of succesful restaurants and cafeterias do that all the time. If you are concerned about what goes into your product and you want be able to say that you made them and mean it, then hand made is always the way to go.

You will hear both sides of the story on this one.

Heck nobody has to know how to cook anymore, you just have to know how to order...

BWS Party, Chubby, WSM, 4 Kettles, 3 Performers, 1 Smokey Joe Platininum, Weber Genisis B, 2 Grey Thermopens
KCBS CBJ
Old 03-27-2009, 03:02 PM   #6
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

One thing I can do is cook, there is no question about that. Actually, probably better than you!!!!! Work smarter not harder. I know you make all of your sauces and rubs for competition too.

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Old 03-27-2009, 03:12 PM   #7
The Anchorman
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
One thing I can do is cook, there is no question about that. Actually, probably better than you!!!!! Work smarter not harder. I know you make all of your sauces and rubs for competition too.
wow that is one trash talking som' bitch.
who are you?
do I know you? Really?

KCBS CBJ
Old 03-27-2009, 03:15 PM   #8
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

Not trash talking, just speaking the truth. Not sure if you know me, I know me, and I am a hell of a guy.

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Old 03-27-2009, 03:20 PM   #9
The Anchorman
is One Chatty Farker

have we ever competed against each other?
I'm sorry if this is a run away thread, maybe we should take this into a private message.

KCBS CBJ
Old 03-27-2009, 03:22 PM   #10
cfbeagle
Found some matches.

What a deal, my second post and I stir up a fight.

What I am really asking is what sort of pot or cooking apparatus is used to get 5 gallons of beans baked and ready to serve. Do you bake them a gallon at a time, ahead of time and freeze? Or do you have a way of baking them all at once just in time for dinner?

PS I make mine. Not the canned ones.
cfbeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 03:29 PM   #11
ASUBBQ
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Baked Beans

Thanks for taking the time to post your recipe Ray, I for one would rather cook my own vs doctoring up canned beans!

Thanks again!
ASUBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 03:42 PM   #12
The Anchorman
is One Chatty Farker

[QUOTE=cfbeagle;887780]What a deal, my second post and I stir up a fight.

LOL

Smack Talk over Beans

I make them at home with one batch at a time, or at work two batches at a time. I just use covered stainless steel brasiers.

KCBS CBJ
Old 03-27-2009, 03:47 PM   #13
Divemaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Anchorman View Post
well cfbeagle you can do what you want. if you want to cook like they do in New Jersey thats well and good. It probably is ok to have your product taste like all the rest of the canned beans. Heck lots of succesful restaurants and cafeterias do that all the time. If you are concerned about what goes into your product and you want be able to say that you made them and mean it, then hand made is always the way to go.

You will hear both sides of the story on this one.

Heck nobody has to know how to cook anymore, you just have to know how to order...
Quote:
I am very serious. Making a simple thing like baked beans is a waste of time imo. You can get store purchased and add to them if you want. They are way to cheap to buy, why make them? Concentrate on the important things.
Guys, let's relax... I've done it both ways, in fact they are both on my menu...
Quote:
No one is saying you can't cook... I agree, I much prefer to work smarter than harder, but if my customer wants the 'Real' baked beans, he also knows that I'm going to charge for them.
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 03:51 PM   #14
Divemaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbeagle View Post
What a deal, my second post and I stir up a fight.

What I am really asking is what sort of pot or cooking apparatus is used to get 5 gallons of beans baked and ready to serve. Do you bake them a gallon at a time, ahead of time and freeze? Or do you have a way of baking them all at once just in time for dinner?

PS I make mine. Not the canned ones.
A big one....
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 03:59 PM   #15
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

Quote:

ADMIN NOTE.

WTF??

lighten up, or Logout.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote