The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 03-26-2009, 07:09 PM   #1
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default The value of "Appearance"

Good Evening,

We (and every other forum) have beat to death the details of appearance or presentation scores.
This is not an attempt to revisit that discussion.

To point out how appearance or presentation are important, take a look at a currently running "Food Detectives" episode on Food TV.
Next showing--
Mar 29, 2009
4:00 PM ET/PT

To make a long story short--they presented identical meals presented with "plastic silverware" and a cheap environment and then in a "high end" environment with real silverware and fancy names on the menu.

On a scale of 1-10, the low end scored 3.4 and the high end 8.0 averages.
"Price" estimated for the low end was about $10 while the high end was worth $34.
I hope I got the numbers right

Anywho, the results were dramatically different based on the diners "expectation" of quality.

There is real motivation there to make every entry as "enticing" as possible.
However you do that.

As they say, you eat with your eyes first.

Just a thought.

TIM
Now cooking with a Yoder YS640
Proud Pellet guy cooking on real wood.
The_Kapn is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-26-2009, 07:23 PM   #2
Ron_L

Downloads: 1

That may be worth suffering through Ted Allen

Unwrap me!
Smoke me!
Eat me!

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser

Remembering a friend
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-26-2009, 07:32 PM   #3
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
That may be worth suffering through Ted Allen
And that is a fact!!!!!!!!!

I "skim" his shows because I find him irritating as hell.
But, this peice is worth putting up with him.

TIM
Now cooking with a Yoder YS640
Proud Pellet guy cooking on real wood.
The_Kapn is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-26-2009, 08:30 PM   #4
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

That was a great comparison thank you. How something looks can make it more appetizing
Big George's BBQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-26-2009, 08:32 PM   #5
Sledneck
Time Out

Watching the show with subtitles and the sound off makes it a little bit easier to bear
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-26-2009, 08:42 PM   #6
Balls Casten
is one Smokin' Farker

Was it different people? I would agree that someone that pays $20 for a pulled pork sandwitch thinks their sandwitch is better than someone who paid $5.

But IMO a judge should be able to tell the difference ... if there is one.

(No complaints of judging here, just a comment.)

Unread 03-26-2009, 10:06 PM   #7
Diva Q
is one Smokin' Farker

I think you have to do everything you can for appearance period. In competitive BBQing it may garner you that one extra point. That can make the difference between an rgc or GC. Worth it enough to spend a significant enough time practicing how it looks in addition to more importantly how it tastes.

Pratice practice practice..........

Check out my new show BBQ Crawl !
Travel Channel (US) Cottage Life & Travel & Escape (Canada)

Life is too short for bad BBQ®
Diva Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-26-2009, 10:06 PM   #8
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Kapn View Post
As they say, you eat with your eyes first.

Just a thought.

TIM
My good sir how correct you are in nearly EVERY food field EXCEPT for the world of BBQ, Popcorn, and Bread.

Yes this little adage "eat with your eyes first" is cute and acceptable to everyone without a NOSE.

You eat BBQ with your eyes second... some could say THIRD... when someone says the word "BBQ" my imagination goes wild before even my senses do.

I was sold on a bbq restaurant yesterday enough by its smell alone to stop, turn around park and go inside... where the restaurant was quaint, packed full of people clean and had its tough Brisket sliced razor thin with a electric knife.

Guess what I did then?

Unread 03-26-2009, 10:11 PM   #9
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Kapn View Post

To make a long story short--they presented identical meals presented with "plastic silverware" and a cheap environment and then in a "high end" environment with real silverware and fancy names on the menu.

TIM
One more point of contention to think about. How would Kreuz, Muellers where Q is served on Paper and your utensils are at the end of your hands fair against... say.... oh... pick anyone... hell... Mills' Blue Smoke.

Now a word of wisdom that pales in intelligence far beyond us...

y'all remember Rocky IV when Drago's Spokeperson comments on Rocky.

"Drago is a perfect physical specimen, he shouldn't even be fighting Balboa...he is too small... it shows how weak and pathetic your society (AMERICA) has become@!!!"

We all know what happened to Drago

Unread 03-26-2009, 10:12 PM   #10
Meat Burner
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Tim, good post!

NB Bandera with mods
Weber 22 .5" x 2, 26.75" x 1
UDS x 3
KCBS CBJ
Created "The Great Spam Revelation of 2011."
www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111155
Meat Burner is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-26-2009, 11:24 PM   #11
Brewmaster
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbefunkoramaque View Post
My good sir how correct you are in nearly EVERY food field EXCEPT for the world of BBQ, Popcorn, and Bread.

Yes this little adage "eat with your eyes first" is cute and acceptable to everyone without a NOSE.

You eat BBQ with your eyes second... some could say THIRD... when someone says the word "BBQ" my imagination goes wild before even my senses do.

I was sold on a bbq restaurant yesterday enough by its smell alone to stop, turn around park and go inside... where the restaurant was quaint, packed full of people clean and had its tough Brisket sliced razor thin with a electric knife.

Guess what I did then?
I would have to disagree with this thought process.

Since I see at the speed of light, and I don't know of anything faster than the speed of light. I would say I eat with my eyes before my nose.

Unless you have some pretty fast BBQ, then I would have to agree with Tim.

To be honest, everything is relative and there is no correct answer.

Cheers,
Nate
Weber Ranch Kettle
BBQ070 (Lil Tex)
BBQ075 (Texas)
UDS
Brewmaster is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-27-2009, 07:21 AM   #12
cmcadams
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Some foods would potentially score lower in the 'upper class' setting, as those foods would not be expected there. BBQ may score higher in the right bbq restaurant setting, but then compare it to a fast food setting and see how it does.

And the Rocky IV analogy... it turned out as it turned out due to a script.

Livefire Whisky

CBJ, some comps, a few awards, Certified Artisan Steak Taster.

XL Big Green Egg, Bubba Keg Convection Grill, Weber Kettle, Charbroil Infrared and mad livefire cooking skillz! :)
cmcadams is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-27-2009, 08:53 AM   #13
Podge
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbefunkoramaque View Post

Guess what I did then?
I respectfully 100% totally disagree with that statement. (well, i might agree with the popcorn and bread). All BBQ to me, the initial smell is of smoke, and they all smell the same.
Podge is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-27-2009, 09:28 AM   #14
Yakfishingfool
Babbling Farker

At a competition I haven't seen judges sniffing a closed box before looking at it. I also haven't found a restaurant that sells BBQ stuffed in between 50 BBQ smokers spewing forth all forms of flavored smoke. So not sure if the smell before look counts. In addition, restaurants that serve on paper and and give a paper towel to wipe with have typically earned a reputation that precedes their menu and therefore are above the mention of needing fine cutlery to be good.

Picture yourself about to buy a BQ pit. Essentially identical pits, both stick burning spicwines like Poobahs. And one is painted a flashy black with flames and maybe some gold flake in the pin striping. And the other is painted baby shart green. Which are you going to pick, just pick, don't think, just pick. That's presentation. Doesn't say a damn thing about the flavor to be had. Doesn't say a damn thing about the texture to be had, only the aesthetics of the meal they are about to enjoy. Prepare the boxes as you feel, but are you serving a baby shart green meal or the the sleek black and fire trimmed smoker? Scott

PS< to carry this one step further....that baby shart smoker could have put out the gosh darn best BBQ they ever ate. But that's a different topic.
1 WSM 18,1 WSM 22
1 Weber performer, 1 Smokey Joe Platinum
1 XL Big Green Egg
1 FEC 100
KCBS Certified Judge #9079
Yakfishingfool is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-27-2009, 09:34 AM   #15
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewmaster View Post
I would have to disagree with this thought process.

Since I see at the speed of light, and I don't know of anything faster than the speed of light. I would say I eat with my eyes before my nose.

Unless you have some pretty fast BBQ, then I would have to agree with Tim.

To be honest, everything is relative and there is no correct answer.

Cheers,
Nate
I was speaking of the power of smell which often pursuades you to buy BBQ or Popcorn or those Prezels in the Mall. before you see anything.

That rush you feel when you are outside and you smell grilling or smoked meat.

Yeah, now I DO BELIEVE the eyes have it (Funny huh) at like a competition because, well, everyone is putting out that smell... so you are sort of desensitized.

The next sense really is your eyes to fall back on as a judge and they don't let you go back and change your appearance scores if the BBQ is nasty tastin, LOL.

I don't know about you but I have smelled many joints seconds before I could see where they were.

Like the reverse of the competition world, most joints are not out in a pasture somewhere so at least round here, provided the wind is right, we could smell the smoke (which flavors) long before we even saw the facility. We smell the joint before we walk in, People SMELL BigMista's Q at the Farmer's market sometimes a 100 yards before they even know what it is.... then they see the sign or hear Neil confirm it and make a final judge to purchase maybe when they see the product.

In fact one could speculate that taste is merely to confirm that what they see and smell live up to their standards.... also like women.

Last edited by barbefunkoramaque; 03-27-2009 at 09:59 AM..
barbefunkoramaque is offline   Reply With Quote