The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 03-24-2009, 08:23 PM   #1
striped pig
Got Wood.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Pretrimming??

Are there any sancationing bodies that do not allow pre trimming?? I know FBA does and I thought KCBS did but I was told otherwise by a newly certified judge. He also said MIM did not allow pretrimmed meat. ......thanks for helping settle a bet......stan

Med Spicewine
Klose offset
WSM
striped pig is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-24-2009, 08:36 PM   #2
Big Tom
On the road to being a farker

I don't recall any of the rules for MBN or KCBS saying that the meat can't be trimmed before hand. Haven't done FBA not familiar with their rules, yet. But I do recall reading others talking about pre-trimming before heading to a contest.

Most all specify that the meat cant be seasoned, cured or marinated before being inspected. Some inspectors like to get nit-picky and want to see packaging and labels, but if the contest or sanctioning rules don't specify that, it is hard to enforce.
[FONT=Tahoma]Owensboro, KY / Corinth, MS[/FONT]
Big Tom is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-24-2009, 08:40 PM   #3
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

KCBS allows you to trim/cut your meat. You can not inject, brine, marinade, or put rub on before the meat is inspected
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-24-2009, 10:04 PM   #4
Finney
is one Smokin' Farker

What Big George said. ^^^
Finney is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-24-2009, 10:08 PM   #5
Rookie'48
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by striped pig View Post
Are there any sancationing bodies that do not allow pre trimming?? I know FBA does and I thought KCBS did but I was told otherwise by a newly certified judge. He also said MIM did not allow pretrimmed meat. ......thanks for helping settle a bet......stan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George's BBQ View Post
KCBS allows you to trim/cut your meat. You can not inject, brine, marinade, or put rub on before the meat is inspected
I think we have the proper ruling from Big George.

Possibly the only judge ever to get an award from a bunch of cooks

UDS 075 UCB WSM and a bunch of other stuff.
Rookie'48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-25-2009, 05:38 AM   #6
TexEx
On the road to being a farker

FBA: All meats must be USDA or state DA inspected and passed. No pre-seasoning, injecting, marinating or cooking of any entry is permitted until after inspection.......

Yes, we look for the USDA or DA inspection stickers.

TexEx Hook'em Horns!
FBA Member. FBA MCBJ.
KCBS 62294
Char-Griller Super Pro. Char-Broil Gasser.
[LEFT][FONT=Arial][I]Orange[/I][/FONT] Thermapen.[/LEFT]
TexEx is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-25-2009, 09:01 AM   #7
Alexa RnQ
is One Chatty Farker

Location: the Ninth Ring of Hell, cleverly disguised as Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by striped pig View Post
I thought KCBS did but I was told otherwise by a newly certified judge.
*snort*
The actual section that pertains is:
Quote:
8. All competition meats shall be inspected by the Official Meat Inspector during the times established by the contest organizer but not prior to the day before judging. Once the competition meat has been inspected, it shall not leave the contest site. Cooking shall not begin until the competition meat has been inspected by the Official Meat Inspector. All competition meat shall start out raw. No pre-seasoned meat is allowed other than manufacturer enhanced or injected products, as shown on label (EXCLUDING (but not limited to): teriyaki, lemon pepper or butter injected). When the contest organizer supplies the meat, the contestant is not required to enter only that meat. (Competition meat not meeting these qualifications shall be disqualified; given a one (1) in all criteria by all six judges).
We've run up against this a time or two, to the point where I now keep a copy of the KCBS rules in our toolkit. PRESEASONED meat is prohibited. Pretrimming is absolutely legal for KCBS. I'm stunned that newly-minted judges are being turned out with this misconception.

Don't practice until you get it right; practice until you can't get it wrong.
Don't overthink or undercook.

Rhythm 'n QUE
Alexa RnQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-25-2009, 09:14 AM   #8
Transformer BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivaHerself View Post
*snort*

We've run up against this a time or two, to the point where I now keep a copy of the KCBS rules in our toolkit. PRESEASONED meat is prohibited. Pretrimming is absolutely legal for KCBS. I'm stunned that newly-minted judges are being turned out with this misconception.

I was told at my judges class that Burnt Ends were "treats for the judges" and were not to be taken into account when brisket was being judged...

I'd rather have teams get that bad info on meat... and have to spend some time on site trimming than be thinking I'm including some "treats" in my turn in box.
Transformer BBQ
FEC 100, Lang 60M, Jamie Geer Backyard
Viking Professional Gasser
Transformer BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-25-2009, 09:15 AM   #9
musicmanryann
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivaHerself View Post
*snort*

Indeed. Additionally, this rule has absolutely nothing to do with the judging process--the determination being made by the designated meat inspector almost 24 hours prior to judges arriving on the site. During my CBJ class the instructor only informed us the rules that pertained to judging the meat, and told us if we were curious about the rest of the rules that we would be provided with a copy of them.
CBJ #50801
6 WSM's
2 Weber Kettles
FEC100
2 Backwoods Fatboy
2 Not-so-Ugly Drum Smokers from Gateway BBQ Store
Jambo -- The Orange Monster
www.bigtzbbq.com
Join our facebook group
musicmanryann is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-25-2009, 10:09 AM   #10
Diva
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transformer BBQ View Post
I was told at my judges class that Burnt Ends were "treats for the judges" and were not to be taken into account when brisket was being judged...

I'd rather have teams get that bad info on meat... and have to spend some time on site trimming than be thinking I'm including some "treats" in my turn in box.
Hmmmmm....who taught that class and when???? Treats? Good grief
Diva is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-25-2009, 10:16 AM   #11
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transformer BBQ View Post

I was told in my judging class the opposite. Judge everything in the box and average the scores. Dang, they need to get the teachers singing from the same sheet of music.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-25-2009, 10:19 AM   #12
U2CANQUE
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diva View Post
Hmmmmm....who taught that class and when???? Treats? Good grief
I was told the same thing when I went through the judging class....un-named place, but, I took it with a grain of salt.....until after, then went to talk to the "teacher" and they stuck with that....but, not to tell stories out of class, they also stated in the class that they have never DQ someone for sculpting at a contest because "can you tell me what team that belongs to?".....
Cleveland, Ohio

Jambo (J-3) Black on Black-with Hot Rod Flames
FEC w/ IQ4
U2CANQUE is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-25-2009, 10:21 AM   #13
Transformer BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeSmellsLikeSmoke View Post
I was told in my judging class the opposite. Judge everything in the box and average the scores. Dang, they need to get the teachers singing from the same sheet of music.
Class was taught by Linda and Jerry Mullane, so that was coming from a KCBS Board member.
Transformer BBQ
FEC 100, Lang 60M, Jamie Geer Backyard
Viking Professional Gasser
Transformer BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-25-2009, 10:37 AM   #14
musicmanryann
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeSmellsLikeSmoke View Post
I very much appreciate the music analogy! I would say that they should all read from the sheet music arranged by the teacher at my CBJ class. You could tell that he had done it several times--he was very organized, informed, and "did it by the book". Unfortunately I am forgetting his name, but some might call him the Mozart of BBQ judging teachers.
CBJ #50801
6 WSM's
2 Weber Kettles
FEC100
2 Backwoods Fatboy
2 Not-so-Ugly Drum Smokers from Gateway BBQ Store
Jambo -- The Orange Monster
www.bigtzbbq.com
Join our facebook group
musicmanryann is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-25-2009, 10:45 AM   #15
Diva
is one Smokin' Farker

I sent this thread to Ed Roith, chairperson of the Certified BBQ Judging Instructors. It's bull****.

I don't know if I'm anal or what, HOWEVER, with all the money that's spent to travel, food, lodging, gas, etc. I would like the people who come out and judge OUR food be on the same damn page. But, hey, maybe that's just me.

I'm pretty pissed about the "treats" deal! Sometimes the weather is horribly hot or horribly cold, rain, snow, sleet, WHATEVER! How much of a "treat" do they think it is to cook in less than stellar conditions???? I'm bent.

Last edited by Diva; 03-25-2009 at 11:18 AM..
Diva is offline   Reply With Quote