The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 03-23-2009, 08:56 PM   #1
watg?
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default The turn-in window

In a KCBS contest, you have a 10 minute window to turn in your entry. In the past, I am just happy to get the box to the judges table within the allotted time period. The question is am I missing something here? Is there any advantage to getting the submission in early, late, in the middle, IF you have an option? Does it matter at all? Has anyone ever tracked their turn in time and its relationship to their results? Which section of the window do you think gives you the best advantage or the most disadvantage? Judges, what do you think?
Am I nuts, and or am I over-thinking this issue???(again)

Startin the Fire-(a book) Everything you need to know about starting a competition BBQ team. (except the recipes) www.startinthefire.com

"Let me have a diablo sandwich and a Dr. Pepper, make it fast, I'm in a ---damn hurry". Sheriff Buford T.Justice
watg? is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-23-2009, 08:59 PM   #2
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

I have heard towards the end so hopefully your food will be warmer
Big George's BBQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-23-2009, 09:02 PM   #3
musicmanryann
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George's BBQ View Post
I have heard towards the end so hopefully your food will be warmer
I agree that it is important to provide the warmest food possible to the judges.
CBJ #50801
6 WSM's
2 Weber Kettles
FEC100
2 Backwoods Fatboy
2 Not-so-Ugly Drum Smokers from Gateway BBQ Store
Jambo -- The Orange Monster
www.bigtzbbq.com
Join our facebook group
musicmanryann is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-23-2009, 09:05 PM   #4
RangerJ
is one Smokin' Farker

I competed in my first event recently and while it was IBCA and not KCBS, I did look around and notice that all the top teams, hit the turn in just prior to closing.

Being the new guy, I did not ask why, I just observed and my guess would be temp and to prevent drying out.

Makes sense and I'll not be the first one to turn in at the next event.
RangerJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-23-2009, 09:12 PM   #5
Kristin Meredith
Found some matches.

In every event I have judged, the only meat that is even patially warm is the chicken. If you have ever judged, you will understand why. First, your boxes are delivered and sorted and then taken to the table for viewing. Next, the box is opened and all the judges get a chance to take a good look to judge on appearance. Stuff is already getting cold. Then each judge takes a piece and puts on their judging mat. They repeat this process six times before they take the first bit. Anything sitting on that judging mat for that long, except for a thigh, is cold. I think the winning teams know their entries will be tasted virtually cold and select a flavor profile accordingly.

Unread 03-23-2009, 09:13 PM   #6
Finney
is one Smokin' Farker

Hitting the end of the window doesn't ensure that your entry will get to the table in any more a timely fashion than an early one. It all depends on the check-in staff, box runners and table captains.
Finney is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-23-2009, 09:32 PM   #7
Just Pulin' Pork
is one Smokin' Farker

If your a good cook then you have nothing to worry about. Take that 10 minute window and figure it into your cooking schedule!
Just Pulin' Pork is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-23-2009, 09:55 PM   #8
Meat Burner
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finney View Post
Hitting the end of the window doesn't ensure that your entry will get to the table in any more a timely fashion than an early one. It all depends on the check-in staff, box runners and table captains.
There you have it!

NB Bandera with mods
Weber 22 .5" x 2, 26.75" x 1
UDS x 3
KCBS CBJ
Created "The Great Spam Revelation of 2011."
www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111155
Meat Burner is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-23-2009, 10:07 PM   #9
cmcadams
Quintessential Chatty Farker

when judging, I've noticed that they get the entries to tables as quickly as they can, so the ones that come in first are generally to tables in a decent time, though I don't think I want to be the absolute first entry there.

Livefire Whisky

CBJ, some comps, a few awards, Certified Artisan Steak Taster.

XL Big Green Egg, Bubba Keg Convection Grill, Weber Kettle, Charbroil Infrared and mad livefire cooking skillz! :)
cmcadams is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-23-2009, 10:25 PM   #10
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

I like to hit the early side of the window. Why? because that means I had time to get the box to look the way I wanted it without rushing.

I've only judged a handful of times, but I can't think of a time I ever noticed the temp of a turn in.
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-23-2009, 11:41 PM   #11
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Bobby View Post
I like to hit the early side of the window. Why? because that means I had time to get the box to look the way I wanted it without rushing.

I've only judged a handful of times, but I can't think of a time I ever noticed the temp of a turn in.
If you hit the early part of the window for chicken in a KCBS contest you've added 10 minutes to the time you have for ribs etc., in comparison to getting them in at the end of the window.

BOOGITY, BOOGITY, BOOGITY!!!

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-24-2009, 12:25 AM   #12
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

Jorge brings up another good reason I like being on the early side. Oh, it could also be the 40 seconds late on brisket too.
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-24-2009, 05:35 AM   #13
VA BBQ PIRATES
On the road to being a farker

I like to hit the windows early for the "extra" time like Jorge mentioned. Then I know I have it if I need it. Plus if things are going as planned I may actually have a couple min to sit back and relax between boxes.

For me it's more important who is turning boxes in at the same time. I know judges aren't supposed to compare but I would feel better not being the 3rd sample at a table behind Tuffy and Johnny Trigg.

Tom
VA BBQ PIRATES is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-24-2009, 06:34 AM   #14
Diva Q
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA BBQ PIRATES View Post
I like to hit the windows early for the "extra" time like Jorge mentioned. Then I know I have it if I need it. Plus if things are going as planned I may actually have a couple min to sit back and relax between boxes.

For me it's more important who is turning boxes in at the same time. I know judges aren't supposed to compare but I would feel better not being the 3rd sample at a table behind Tuffy and Johnny Trigg.

Tom
I want my food to go up against the toughest people on the circuit. I used to feel the same way (trying to figure out who was dropping off and what team they belonged to) but now I want to know how good or how bad it is against those true BBQ professionals.

I have a better sense of accomplishment and satisfaction if I think my stuff went up against some of those people.

Check out my new show BBQ Crawl !
Travel Channel (US) Cottage Life & Travel & Escape (Canada)

Life is too short for bad BBQ®
Diva Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-24-2009, 06:49 AM   #15
BBQ_Mayor
is One Chatty Farker

If I can, I like to turn in early as possiable. Mainly cause when I'm one of the first boxes my box won't sit on the plate very long before it goes back to the judges.
I've dropped a box off once towards the end of turn in. I had a 2 minute walk back to my site, still with a view of the turn in table, and my box was still there.
WSM
Whole Hog Smoker
CBJ #4643
BBQ_Mayor is offline   Reply With Quote