First time ageing briskets for comp

HBMTN

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
In my area you can't get whole packer briskets unless you order a case which I did and picked up today. I have never aged briskets before, I got these for Pork in the Park Salisbury, Md on April 17th. The case box had a date of March 9th, I put them in a refrigerator that never gets opened. I figure that is roughly 38-40 days. Anybody see anything wrong with my plan? Thanks

Ruben

I guess my only question would be how fast you gonna use up the rest of it after the comp? Or, are you gonna freeze it?

I am going to freeze 4 of the six and use for a Saturday BBQ, but I figured I would age them before I froze them. What do you think?

Age then freeze. 35 to 55 days , usually towards the high end with me. Check that cryovac has not leaked or toss. Also, there is a odor that comes from the plastic that should rinse away. If it does not, I toss. I have aged longer and had no bad smell, but did not cook. It is important that air is stable, meaning door stays shut.Notes are very important, as it is crucial to know the pack date. What you are looking for is a more rich, beef smell. Good luck, Steve.

Back