oink
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Cattle Call !!!

Notices

Cattle Call !!! Introducing... The Brethren.. Put your Bios here, a mug shot, a picture of your toys..Tell us who u are. Threads will lock down after 7-10 days to avoid post pumps on old introductions. Please avoid responding after thread is over a week old. DO NOT PITCH ANY PRODUCTS IN THIS FORUM, OR TRY TO VEIL A PITCH AS AN INTRODUCTION. IF YOUR SELLING IT, DON'T MENTION IT.

Closed Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 09:39 AM   #1
Notacop
Found some matches.

Default Got a new grill, found a new forum!

Hello everyone, my name is Garrett and I have a problem.

I am addicted to cooking with fire :)

I think it is hereditary. Growing up my Dad always grilled 2-4 times a week, regardless of the season. He put himself through college working at the Weber Grill factory in Arlington Heights, Il, started with boxing up grills, later got to do some work with R&D helping test the first round of prototype electric grills.

Anyway, with his background he always swore up and down on Weber products. When I moved out on my own I followed suit. Also IMO cooking with gas is a mortal sin, but I am sure there is a long and heated debate on that one... Anyway Weber grill led to a Weber Smokey Mountain a few years ago, lots of fun with brisket, butts and ribs. However I have a fairly small back patio and started to think about consolidating. Also I don't have tons of free time, so I do most of my smokes overnight with the help of a wireless thermometer. Something that keeps me in bed longer with less need for adjusting the fire would be a welcome addition.

All my research pointed me at the ceramic grills, trying to get to the bottom of BGE vs Primo VS Kamado VS Grill Dome led me to lots of internet forums. This one seemed to have a good formula of high traffic, good people, good attitudes and a fun environment. I registered here while still dreaming of buying a ceramic grill sometime in the next year or two.

Yesterday I wanted to swing by a local dealer that carries the Egg to see what it is all about. While my wife and I were there she pulled me aside and told me she wanted to buy me one for my birthday and to pick out which accessories I wanted. I came home with a Large Egg, Metal Nest, Wooden Grill Mates, Plate Setter, Ash tool and Grill Gripper. I love my wife!

(ultimately I decided most ceramic cookers are pretty even if you load them up comparably, I went with the one that has a local dealer. On top of that a family friend works at that store so I should have no problem with after the sale support).

Anywho, as I am sure you can tell, I tend to get long winded. I will cut it short for now.

Here are a few pics of my new toy in it's new home:

Old 03-20-2009, 09:45 AM   #2
Ashmont
Babbling Farker

Welcome U will like it here and dang I married the wrong woman...... Congrats you have a great bride... Now let see some pron.... What are you waiting for... hehehehe

Proud member of Brethren Weber's for life

(Rescued 7 kettles in 2007, 1 in 2008, 2 in 2009 and 1 in 2010 Three of which I have and 8 that have gone to Brethren. PM me to get on the waiting list)

Weber Kettle Dabomb
Weber Kettle Justintime
Weber Kettle (Yet to be named by Daughter) Evil Twin Suggested!
Weber Kettle Grace
WSM "Winni"
WSM "Dumas"
One Smokey Joe
UDS "Peggy Sue"
http://ashsmoderndayclubhouse.blogspot.com/
Old 03-20-2009, 09:54 AM   #3
Notacop
Found some matches.

I got home with the grill at about 5:30 pm, by 7:30 pm we were eating dinner.

I do have a single pic of the food, but apparently I forgot to upload it. Nothing special, just boneless chicken breasts and pork chops. Turned out pretty good, I was not expecting greatness due to the learning curve, but overall I give them a B minus.

I will update the thread with a pic tonight. I also expect a busy weekend, I already have a large pork loin roast and will throw a fattie on as well. Thinking of picking up a turkey breast or a brisket, as well as a roaster chicken or two (want to try my hand at spatchcock chicken).
Old 03-20-2009, 10:39 AM   #4
bbqbull

Welcome to the forum Garrett.

"I wish my mind could forget what my eyes have seen. "

"Heavily medicated for your protection. "

Klose Mobile Pit
Klose Owners Reccomended Pit
Cookshack Smokette
Gasser
Little Chief Smoker
Large BGE
Gifted to me my Pit Barrel Smoker
Old 03-20-2009, 10:44 AM   #5
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

Welcome aboard! Nice egg
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:58 AM   #6
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

Nice entrance!

Welcome to the Brethren. Glad you have you here.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
Old 03-20-2009, 11:03 AM   #7
musicmanryann
is One Chatty Farker

Good intro! Welcome to the Brethren. I hope you'll find you are not alone in your addiction to cooking with fire. I cope with my addiction by eating delicious Q. :)
CBJ #50801
6 WSM's
2 Weber Kettles
FEC100
2 Backwoods Fatboy
2 Not-so-Ugly Drum Smokers from Gateway BBQ Store
Jambo -- The Orange Monster
www.bigtzbbq.com
Join our facebook group
Old 03-20-2009, 11:09 AM   #8
Bogus Chezz Hawg
is One Chatty Farker

Welcome Garrett. I once lived in Mount Prospect, right around the corner from the Weber factory. I hope your father doesn't disown you!
Old 03-20-2009, 11:14 AM   #9
Notacop
Found some matches.

I don't think my Dad will disown me, hell he might get on the Egg bandwagon after he comes over for some Q a few times.

Also I plan on keeping my weber products in the family. A couple of my brothers are about to strike out on their own and they will need a decent grill.

Although my Dad did try to say that his 22" Weber Performer is probably about as fuel efficient as the Egg. I had to disagree on that one!

Anybody notice the temp gauge on the Egg in my pics.... that was mid cook! Also I did make a slight mistake with my assembly, anybody with eagle eyes see the mistake?
Old 03-20-2009, 11:16 AM   #10
bowhnter
is Blowin Smoke!

Welcome, Garrett! Nice birthday gift!

I grew up not too far from you, just No of Peoria. Looks like you have some woods there, and I can't tell if that is a pond, crick or road behind you...nice deer country?

Primo Oval XL
Weber 18" One Touch
The Fastest Thermapen
Old 03-20-2009, 11:25 AM   #11
Westexbbq

Welcome to the camp,
Garrett.
Nice going.
Enjoy.
Texas International Pop Festival, Labor Day 1969.
IMBAS Certified.
Just roll me up and smoke me when I die.
Always remember, no matter where ya go,
there you are.
I wanna tell you 'bout Texas radio and the big beat.
Someday, I hope to visit Penelope.
Hondo Crouch, Famous Late Mayor of Lunkenbach, Texas who advocated a 'dillo diet: "You can eat nothing but armadillos for a month, but you will have to run down and catch all the armadillos you eat and it can really take the weight off!"

Old 03-20-2009, 11:31 AM   #12
Notacop
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhnter View Post
Welcome, Garrett! Nice birthday gift!

I grew up not too far from you, just No of Peoria. Looks like you have some woods there, and I can't tell if that is a pond, crick or road behind you...nice deer country?

That is a road behind me, and there are railroad tracks right in front of the woods on the far side of it. Unfortunately I only have about a 1/3 of an acre myself,but apparently the 2 empty lots next to me are up for sale from the bank and I can snap them up dirt cheap if I want to expand out to around an acre.

We are actually on the lookout now for a decent 5-10 acre piece of land in the area, something we can build a new house on in the future. It is tough trying to find the perfect piece of land.

Lots of deer around, a few times a month we will have them coming through our yard. In the summer months I see them on my commute to or from work about 9 times out of 10.

Of course along with that comes:

That was about $7k IIRC.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:37 AM   #13
Mike - CSBBBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Welcome and nice gift. That is a good woman and BTW fire is a good thing

CHIX, SWINE & BOVINE Bbq.
Because Bad BBQ is Downright Criminal

[COLOR=#000080]csbbbq.com[/COLOR]
KCBS & MABA member - CBJ #21870
Jambo (Geer) Pit
Lang 84 Deluxe w/roof system
Lang 60 w/warmer
Old 03-20-2009, 11:52 AM   #14
EatonHoggBBQ
Babbling Farker

Hi Garrett and welcome to the BBQ Brethren.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:01 PM   #15
Midnight Smoke

Hello and Welcome!

*** Terry ~ aka Pork Smoker ***

** XL-BGE Hatched 06/20/2008 09:42 pm **
* Couple Weber Kettles, CharGriller, UDS *
* Ultra Fast Red Thermapen *
Projects
Kamado Restoration
Bandera Restoration

Closed Thread