עָטִין
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 03-17-2009, 10:43 AM   #1
Brew-B-Q
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Cooking on trailer ramp

I'm trying to finalize my trailer needs and want to get feedback from people who cook on the tailgate of their trailer. Looking for pros and cons - here's what I have so far. I'm looking at a 7x14 tandem trailer.

Pros
- Don't need to haul smoker up / down ramp. It weighs around 600 pounds.
- Easy access to inside of trailer where meat will be prepped, boxed, etc.
- Consistent surface to cook on, versus wet/muddy grass, etc.

Cons
- Can't cover smoker in rain like I could with an EZ-UP
- Risk of fire
- Cost to get heavy duty door strong enough to support smoker and cooks

What do others who have/do cook on a ramp door think?

Thanks - Pat
Brew-B-Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-17-2009, 10:57 AM   #2
DawgPhan
is one Smokin' Farker

I think that you could still cover the smoker with an EZ-up. You just need to extend the legs a little.
DawgPhan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-17-2009, 11:22 AM   #3
Spydermike72
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawgPhan View Post
I think that you could still cover the smoker with an EZ-up. You just need to extend the legs a little.
Exactly!! I know of at least 2 teams that do this. I think they are both members here so I will let them share the details.
Backwoods Competitor
Backwoods Party
Ranch Kettle,Weber Performerl
Certified Moink Baller
President of the Great Lakes BBQ Association

For those who fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know
Spydermike72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-17-2009, 11:56 AM   #4
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 4

i bought the my trailer with the reinfoced ramp(Car hauler), with full intention of cooking on the ramp.

That lasted one cook, maybe 2 cooks.

I found myself stepping up onto and off the ramp over and over all weekend long. For whatever reasons, in most cases, I found myself using the back door to go in and out and not the side door. Steping up all weekend wore my knees out early into the weekend.

I also discovered I was unable to CLOSE THE DAMN door at night. Chilly, noise, rain, skeeters, etc... If you have AC, you're screwed too. For whatever reason, its nice to be able to close the door to get some sleep, or stay dry while you work.

Although the EZup covered the ramp and cooker, when it rained, it dumped the runoff onto the ramp and splashed into the trailer and if its windy, your wet AND cold.

So ever since, I roll the 800lb spicewine down the ramp, hang a left and set it up on a piece of plywood a few feet behind and to the left of the ramp.

Pros:
I have a clear shot in and out of the trailer.
I can shut the door when I need to or have to.
I am not stepping up a couple of hundred times all weekend and killing my old knees.

Cons:
Bigger spot.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-17-2009, 12:42 PM   #5
n-2-que
is one Smokin' Farker

I have to agree with alot of BBQchef reasoning

We use to have the large spicewine on the back using 2 5ton car jack thingies worked great but never had any rain or anything at the times we tried this. but came to just realize was easier to take on and off, we would just snag next team to us to help out.

Now with the FEC we just rolled in and out no problems, time to try our BGE in the table but still just putting everything under or half under our 10x20 canopy all in all is easier.
Cooker
CookShack- Fec100
BGE - Extra Large with Table
Weber- 22 inch Kettle

Unread 03-17-2009, 01:07 PM   #6
getyourrubonbbq
Take a breath!

The ramp doors are nice, but if your going to build/have a trailer built. Use it for comps. and need a place to prep and sleep. I'd go with one with a porch. QueTPies BBQ can give you a heads up on how they set theirs up. It looked awesome in LR.
[URL="http://www.extremebbqtrailers.com"]www.extremebbqtrailers.com[/URL]
getyourrubonbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-17-2009, 01:27 PM   #7
Brew-B-Q
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33 View Post
I also discovered I was unable to CLOSE THE DAMN door at night.
Thanks for the feedback - some good info here as always.

Not being able to close the door is a big thing for me to consider. Part of the reason for an enclosed trailer is to have a place to work out of the wind and rain, but that would be compromised with the door open. I know I could put up a curtain or something, but I don't know how well that would work in a storm.

Quote:
So ever since, I roll the 800lb spicewine down the ramp, hang a left and set it up on a piece of plywood a few feet behind and to the left of the ramp.
Is the plywood only when you're on grass, to prevent it from sinking or shifting?

Unread 03-17-2009, 01:32 PM   #8
ulikabbq
Knows what a fatty is.

I am looking at a ramp door setup as well and these strip doors are relatively inexpensive. My cooker weighs in at about 1100 lbs so I am willing to try the ramp door setup.

http://www.strip-curtains.com/proCat/stripDoors.php
SS Gasser

www.ulikabbq.com
www.ulikafoodblog.com
ulikabbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-17-2009, 01:38 PM   #9
ulikabbq
Knows what a fatty is.

They also make those strip doors in black so people can't shigg ya
SS Gasser

www.ulikabbq.com
www.ulikafoodblog.com
ulikabbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-17-2009, 01:42 PM   #10
BBQchef33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew-B-Q View Post
Thanks for the feedback - some good info here as always.

Not being able to close the door is a big thing for me to consider. Part of the reason for an enclosed trailer is to have a place to work out of the wind and rain, but that would be compromised with the door open. I know I could put up a curtain or something, but I don't know how well that would work in a storm.

Is the plywood only when you're on grass, to prevent it from sinking or shifting?
I put up a curtain when the back is in heavy sunlight and it keeps the fridge cooler. I also made a mosquito screen and put it on a shade roller that hooks onto the inside of the door when I need it. The screen is made from 2 sheets of nylon screening(for doors), left individual so I can roll up one side, or both.

i use the plywood to transport the spicewine. Its a 4x4 foot square that has 3 2x4's permanently mounted in a 'U" shape that fits tightly around the wheels. The spice box slides directly into the 'U". The fourth piece i screw into place after I roll the spicewine onto it. It locks the wheels in place on all 4 sides for transport. It then gets screwed to the floor. The hole in the center mates up with a pipe sleeve in the bottom of the spicewine, and a hole in my floorboards where a pair of 1.5 inch nuts are welded to the chassis. A 14 inch long bolt is then put thru the sleeve in the spicewide, thru the plywood and bolted to the chassis. The spice wine is thn actually bolted down. It sounds like alot, but its less than 2 minutes worth of work, and I dont have to deal with ratchet straps and worrying about it shifting. Just roll it on, and bolt it down. The bolt is actually a piece of 1-1/8 threaded rod with a 4 inch long steel rod welded to the top so its a T bar. Needs no tools to screw in.

That same piece of plywood seconds as a platform on grass. If I'm on blacktop, its not needed unless its uneven.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM

Last edited by BBQchef33; 03-19-2009 at 09:41 AM..

Unread 03-17-2009, 01:57 PM   #11
BBQchef33

i used to roll MOAB up and down the ramp.. 1000lbs plus. My son and I were able to do it alone. I can do the spicewine alone also.

being mine is a car hauler, and I have 7 foot ceilings, the ramp is not at a very aggressinve angle.

Also, if its a tandem, you can crank it up all the way in front to lower the attack angle in the rear to make it easier to roll up. (if its a single axle, watch out for that wheelie. Don't ask me how I know that ).

News Flash:

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM

Unread 03-17-2009, 02:01 PM   #12
Brew-B-Q
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33 View Post
i use the plywood to transport the spicewine. Its a 4x4 foot square that has 3 2x4's permanently mounted in a 'U" shape that fits tightly around the wheels. The spice box slides directly into the 'U". The fourth piece i screw into place after I roll the spicewine onto it. It locks the wheels in place on all 4 sides for transport. It then gets screwed to the floor. The hole in the center mates up with a pipe sleeve in the bottom of the spicewine, and a hole in my floorboards where a pair of 1.5 inch nuts are welded to the chassis. A 14 inch long bolt is then put thru the sleeve in the spicewide, thru the plywood and bolted to the chassis. The spice wine is thn actually bolted down. It sounds like alot, but its less than 2 minutes worth of work, and I dont have to deal with ratchet straps and worrying about it shifting. Just roll it on, and bolt it down. The bolt is actually a piece of 1-1/8 threaded rod with a 4 inch long steel rod welded to the top so its a T bar. Needs no tools to screw in.

That same piece of plywood seconds as a platform on grass. If I'm on blacktop, its not needed unless its uneven.
OK, thanks for the information. My smoker has two large wheels on it, but you need to tip it back to engage them with the ground. A nice feature as it will be more stable in the trailer. I like your set-up, but not sure if something like that would work for me.

Unread 03-17-2009, 02:10 PM   #13
Brew-B-Q
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulikabbq View Post
They also make those strip doors in black so people can't shigg ya
Unfortunately, I'm not too worried about people shigging me. Those doors are an interesting option.

Unread 03-17-2009, 02:24 PM   #14
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

Phil, any photos of it bolted down in the trailer? Definately something to consider for my BWS.
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-17-2009, 03:50 PM   #15
Smokin Mike
is One Chatty Farker

I wished I looked around before getting my travel trailer, there are some great deals on porch trailers out there at the "other" forum.

Yoder 640
Yoder 1320
UDS (Snail barrel)
FEC-100 X2
Traeger 124 (older american made model)

KCBS, FBA Judge
Smokin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote