The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.


Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.


Reply
Thread Tools
Unread 03-10-2009, 05:17 PM   #1
Scrooge Fan
Full Fledged Farker
 
Join Date: 09-23-06
Location: Northern Illinois
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Need good pinto bean recipe

I just got some cracklings from my favorite butcher and I'm going to make some fried crackling bread. I have a large package of dried pinto beans. Does anyone have a good recipe for pinto beans?

Just for something different, I was kind of thinking of cooking them so that they were somewhat al dente rather than cooked down until the broth was thick.

Any ideas are welcome.
Scrooge Fan is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 03-10-2009, 05:21 PM   #2
snoqualmiesmoker
is one Smokin' Farker
 
Join Date: 06-01-04
Location: Snoqualmie, wa
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Thirdeye has a great one:

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogs...nto-beans.html
__________________
Large Big Green Egg
Weber Kettle Blue 22
Weber Smokey Joe
Weber Gold Genesis (Sadly, this did not come with a long keyboard solo)
1 ~ 3-year old Princess
1 ~ 1-year old Caveman
1 Chihuahua
Wife
[url]http://jimmysbigegg.blogspot.com/[/url]
snoqualmiesmoker is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 03-10-2009, 05:40 PM   #3
jcfontario
Knows what a fatty is.
 
Join Date: 11-16-08
Location: Kingston, Ontario
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

I will be interested in how the cracklings work in the bean recipe. I have some pieces of smoked skin that I have saved for deep frying into cracklings and I am looking for some good recipes for them before my wife decides that they are taking up valuable space in the freezer.
jcfontario is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 03-10-2009, 05:55 PM   #4
JimT
Full Fledged Farker
 
JimT's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-15-06
Location: Battle Creek, MI
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Roots

A great friend of mine (now deceased) was born in the mountains of Virginia before migrating to this area of Michigan. His method of cooking pintos was very simple, but always good. Just put them in a pot, cover with water (about double the hight of the beans) and let it boil for a few hours! If you had a ham hock or some bacon to add to the pot, that was better, but not necessary. A little while before you are ready to eat, make a few strokes in the pot with a potato masher. Just enough to slightly thicken. You'll know you're eating beans, not mush. Season as desired after serving.

Beans, cornbread, fresh 'damaters & green onions out of the garden. A meal born out of the depression in the hills of Virginia, but one I remember fondly.

JimT
__________________
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.
JimT is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 03-10-2009, 07:01 PM   #5
jray
Found some matches.
 
Join Date: 04-01-08
Location: Lubbock TX
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Pinto Purist

I've been eating and cooking pintos for forty years, in West Texas they are a staple. I've made them a hundred ways. My best advice is... go simple if the beans are a side dish; fancy if they are an entree'. Most people are so quick to jazz them up they don't even know that Pintos have their own flavor. It is a mild but complex taste.

Simple is:

Soak over night covered.
Discard water.
Put in heavy pot or Dutch Oven.
Cover with water plus an inch.
Add a 1/4 pound of Salt Pork per lb. of dry beans.
Add two or three tbs. of good grade chili powder The best is http://www.amazon.com/Mortons-Chili-Blend-6ct/dp/B001682Q48 Luckily for me every grocery store in the Panhandle of Texas has this. Do not add table salt if using powders that contain salt.
Add Black Pepper (couple tbs per pound of dry beans).
Bring to a boil for several minutes, then simmer till you get the texture you want. Stir often if using thin gauge cookware, you don't want them to scorch.
Check flavor carefully before adding anything, It is easy to over salt and cover the flavor of the Pintos.

Allow guests to season to taste with Cholula, Texas Champagne or whatever.

Fancy is:

Do the above.
Now add anything you like: sausage, brisket, left over pulled pork, jalapenos, seranos. I like some Chipolte.

Once again, simple is best for a side dish.

This is very similar to trying fancy rubs on Brisket for three years, then doing a salt and pepper rub,smoking with pecan and a "little" mesquite. It's a thing of beauty and the flavor is so good you wish you had stuck with simple all along.

Good luck, Jeff
jray is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 03-10-2009, 09:13 PM   #6
Weiser
is one Smokin' Farker
 
Join Date: 10-25-08
Location: Drippin' Springs, TX
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Thumbs up Jeff.

Ya pretty much nailed it Dude!!!
I do them both ways but the same way, as you describe.

Weiser


Quote:
Originally Posted by jray View Post
I've been eating and cooking pintos for forty years, in West Texas they are a staple. I've made them a hundred ways. My best advice is... go simple if the beans are a side dish; fancy if they are an entree'. Most people are so quick to jazz them up they don't even know that Pintos have their own flavor. It is a mild but complex taste.

Simple is:

Soak over night covered.
Discard water.
Put in heavy pot or Dutch Oven.
Cover with water plus an inch.
Add a 1/4 pound of Salt Pork per lb. of dry beans.
Add two or three tbs. of good grade chili powder The best is http://www.amazon.com/Mortons-Chili-Blend-6ct/dp/B001682Q48 Luckily for me every grocery store in the Panhandle of Texas has this. Do not add table salt if using powders that contain salt.
Add Black Pepper (couple tbs per pound of dry beans).
Bring to a boil for several minutes, then simmer till you get the texture you want. Stir often if using thin gauge cookware, you don't want them to scorch.
Check flavor carefully before adding anything, It is easy to over salt and cover the flavor of the Pintos.

Allow guests to season to taste with Cholula, Texas Champagne or whatever.

Fancy is:

Do the above.
Now add anything you like: sausage, brisket, left over pulled pork, jalapenos, seranos. I like some Chipolte.

Once again, simple is best for a side dish.

This is very similar to trying fancy rubs on Brisket for three years, then doing a salt and pepper rub,smoking with pecan and a "little" mesquite. It's a thing of beauty and the flavor is so good you wish you had stuck with simple all along.

Good luck, Jeff
__________________
[COLOR=Red][I]"There is a Fine Line between a Hobby and a Mental Disorder."
[/I][SIZE=1][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][COLOR=Red][SIZE=1][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR]
Weiser is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 03-10-2009, 09:38 PM   #7
CritterCrusher
Knows what a fatty is.
 
CritterCrusher's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-21-08
Location: Jourdanton, TX
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

These are the beans I make all the time.

Add these three items and simmer for two hours:

3 – Cups Beans
Cover with about 2-3 inches of water
1 – Small package salt pork cubed

Then add the following:

2 – Cans dice tomatoes with garlic & onions
1 or 2 – Serrano Peppers whole
2 or 3 – Cloves Garlic chopped
Hand full Cilantro chopped
Salt to taste

Simmer for another two hours or until tender.

Have fun with it!
CritterCrusher is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 03-10-2009, 09:39 PM   #8
Meat Burner
Quintessential Chatty Farker
 
Meat Burner's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-22-07
Location: Springfield, MO
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Pinto beans are great. Many ways to cook them good depending are how you were brought up and where you are in the country. I know how I prefer them either, both as the main meal or as a side, but alway a lot of good ideas here.
__________________
my avatar swiped fatties from the plate....look how sorry he is.
________
Meat.

NB Bandera with mods
Weber 22 .5" x 2, 26.75" x 1
UDS x 3
KCBS CBJ
Created "The Great Spam Revelation of 2011."
www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111155
Meat Burner is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 03-11-2009, 11:54 AM   #9
CampyQ
Got Wood.
 
CampyQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-03-08
Location: Westmont,IL
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

I've been eating these for years I also have a simple receipe.
Boil the dry beans until tender, drain off water and mash with potatoe masher. While mashing fry up some chorizo(usually 1 stick per pound of dry beans), pour entire fried chorizo into mashed beans(this means the gease also), stir together with some montery jack cheese.
Ready to serve. Hope you enjoy.
__________________
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Lg BGE [/FONT]
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]WSM[/FONT]
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]UDS #1[/FONT]
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][COLOR=red][B]"Do or do not, there is no try"[/B][/COLOR][/FONT]
CampyQ is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 03-11-2009, 01:03 PM   #10
Scrooge Fan
Full Fledged Farker
 
Join Date: 09-23-06
Location: Northern Illinois
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcfontario View Post
I will be interested in how the cracklings work in the bean recipe. I have some pieces of smoked skin that I have saved for deep frying into cracklings and I am looking for some good recipes for them before my wife decides that they are taking up valuable space in the freezer.
I don't plan to put the cracklings in the beans. At least not this time. The cracklings are going to be used to make fried crackling corn bread. I never had it before, but it sounds like something I need to try.

Thanks for all the suggestions. They have been very helpful. I'll post some pictures if my end result isn't embarrassing.
Scrooge Fan is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 03-11-2009, 01:35 PM   #11
SpammyQ
Take a breath!
 
SpammyQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-02-08
Location: Mukwonago, WI
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoqualmiesmoker View Post
I vigorously second that. I have made those and they ROCK.
__________________
WSM, Weber Genesis Silver-B
Weber Q Portable
1956 Weber 22 1/2" Bar-B-Que Kettle
UDS
and a Super Fast R E D Thermopen!!!
SpammyQ is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 03-11-2009, 01:38 PM   #12
BobBrisket
Moderator
 
BobBrisket's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-11-07
Location: El Paso, TX
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrooge Fan View Post
I don't plan to put the cracklings in the beans. At least not this time. The cracklings are going to be used to make fried crackling corn bread. I never had it before, but it sounds like something I need to try.

Thanks for all the suggestions. They have been very helpful. I'll post some pictures if my end result isn't embarrassing.
We put rinds and cracklins in the beans all the time. Just like putting in smoked hocks. Good stuff. Some cooked down chorizo is nice as is one onion cut in half, some garlic cloves for flavor. You will like the flavor the cracklins give the beans.
__________________
UDS, Pit Barrel Cooker-Courtesy of Poobah, WSM, 22.5 Weber Kettles-K and DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver B, Lil' Chief Smoker, Lodge Sportman Grill, Backyard Fire Pit, Dutch Ovens, Discada Set Up!
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver

My BEST Compliment......"You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son.
Git Smokin, Dan!
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 03-12-2009, 08:29 AM   #13
Desert Dweller
Babbling Farker

 
Desert Dweller's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-03-08
Location: Mesa, AZ Not exactly hell, but the zip code is very close...
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

1 pound Pinto Beans, washed and checked for rocks...
1 white onion
1 Tbsp minced garlic
1 15 ounce can tomato sauce
1/2 pound bacon
2 Tbsp Favorite Pork Rub
1 Tbsp Chili Powder


1. Soak beans at least 8 hours (overnight?)
2. Place in kettle covered with by equal amount of water, boil 30 mins
3. Place in crockpot on low heat covered with 1 inch water

4. Chop and fry bacon (do not discard grease)
5. Chop onion and fry in bacon grease w/garlic till onion is nearly clear

6. Add ingredients from steps 4 & 5
7. Add Chili Powder, Rub & Tomato Sauce

8. Go to work, come home, eat...

I frequently add other leftover meats, especoially pork; pulled, cubed chops or whatever...
__________________
Bo Compton in Mesa, AZ, KCBS CBJ
Weber Ranch Kettle, BDS Mega, OTS x 2, Weber Platinum
18.5 WSM w/Stacker from ProQ, 22.5 WSM, Reverse Flow Lang Clone 80 butt capacity mounted on 25 foot trailer with attached awnings
LFSA RED Thermapen,
And 1 2010 Victor brand Hot Dog Cart

Last edited by Desert Dweller; 03-12-2009 at 10:42 AM..
Desert Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 03-12-2009, 09:58 AM   #14
BobBrisket
Moderator
 
BobBrisket's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-11-07
Location: El Paso, TX
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Oh yeah...............now there's a must try bean recipe. Nice. Bacon, chile powder, seems to have all the good stuff in it.
__________________
UDS, Pit Barrel Cooker-Courtesy of Poobah, WSM, 22.5 Weber Kettles-K and DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver B, Lil' Chief Smoker, Lodge Sportman Grill, Backyard Fire Pit, Dutch Ovens, Discada Set Up!
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver

My BEST Compliment......"You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son.
Git Smokin, Dan!
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote


Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need a good baked bean recipe (smoked of course) GreenDrake Q-talk 22 06-06-2011 08:13 PM
Need a good "smoked" baked bean recipe Wampus Q-talk 11 02-27-2011 05:24 AM
Could use a little pinto bean help Harbormaster Q-talk 32 02-03-2009 06:36 AM
Looking for a Texas Style Pinto Bean recipe stan Q-talk 12 06-21-2008 09:20 PM
Anyone with Killer Pinto Bean Recipe LDOJYD Q-talk 17 04-14-2007 10:58 AM

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Loading



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003 -2012 © BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.
no new posts