The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 03-06-2009, 09:25 PM   #1
aks801
On the road to being a farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Question on burger methodology

Mentioned to a buddy today that I plan on cooking burgers on Sunday, but want to try something different. Either in the cooking method or possibly just doing some fancy schmancy gourmet burger.

He said he cooks his as follows: using his homebuilt "cowboy style" charcoal grill, has the hot briquets in the middle, then sets the patties all around the outside edges of the heat, making "ring". Has to flip and turn them a lot to keep things even. Since this is essentially indirect heat, it takes a total of about 45 minutes to cook them (half-pounders). At the end, he places them over direct heat to get some sear. Says they come out really juicy, and I like the sound of that part.

My tried and true method: using a 22.5 Weber kettle, cook over direct heat, 5 minutes each side, keep lid on, vents full open. They come out great, but I gotta say I'd like them to be juicier. I make 6 oz. hand-formed patties, medium thickness, seasoned in the bowl with bbq sauce, black pepper, minced garlic and some rub.

Any comments on his method? My method?

I just want to make some dang good burgers this weekend, and think I need to change things up for some variety.

Unread 03-06-2009, 09:41 PM   #2
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 1

I cook them like your method, only difference is that I put some mesquite chunks on top of the chimney while it's lighting so they are down to coals when I start cooking. I think it adds a little flavor that is nice.

For a change, you could try doing ground brisket flat and bacon burgers. These are good using indirect cooking like your friend did and can be pretty juicy with the bacon.
Yes, I own a whole bunch of BBQ crap also.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Get your MOINK Certification today!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club member
bigabyte is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-06-2009, 09:41 PM   #3
Weiser
is one Smokin' Farker

Five minutes a side for 6oz. Burgers is too long.
Try 5 on one side over direct heat, flip to the indirect side for 3.5 minutes.
Personally, I do mine (80/20 mix) for 4minutes a side.
4 direct and 4 in direct. They are never dry.

Weiser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks801 View Post
Mentioned to a buddy today that I plan on cooking burgers on Sunday, but want to try something different. Either in the cooking method or possibly just doing some fancy schmancy gourmet burger.

He said he cooks his as follows: using his homebuilt "cowboy style" charcoal grill, has the hot briquets in the middle, then sets the patties all around the outside edges of the heat, making "ring". Has to flip and turn them a lot to keep things even. Since this is essentially indirect heat, it takes a total of about 45 minutes to cook them (half-pounders). At the end, he places them over direct heat to get some sear. Says they come out really juicy, and I like the sound of that part.

My tried and true method: using a 22.5 Weber kettle, cook over direct heat, 5 minutes each side, keep lid on, vents full open. They come out great, but I gotta say I'd like them to be juicier. I make 6 oz. hand-formed patties, medium thickness, seasoned in the bowl with bbq sauce, black pepper, minced garlic and some rub.

I just want to make some dang good burgers this weekend, and think I need to change things up for some variety.
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR]
Weiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-06-2009, 09:48 PM   #4
BobBrisket

I like his method for chicken. I use your method for burgers. We buy 90% lean and then I adjust the fat from there depending on what we are using it for. For burgers, I use 1lb 90% and half a chub of hot breakfast sausage for fat and flavor as a ratio. Makes for a nice burger. I probably go about 4 minutes per as well.
UDS, Pit Barrel Cooker-Courtesy of Poobah, WSM, 22.5 Weber Kettles-K and DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver B, Lil' Chief Smoker, Lodge Sportman Grill, Backyard Fire Pit, Dutch Ovens, Discada Set Up!
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver

My BEST Compliment......"You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son.
Git Smokin, Dan!
BobBrisket is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-06-2009, 10:09 PM   #5
Midnight Smoke

Good advice! I use my Thermapen! When about 5º from my target I pull them and let them rest a couple minutes.

*** Terry ~ aka Pork Smoker ***

** XL-BGE Hatched 06/20/2008 09:42 pm **
* Couple Weber Kettles, CharGriller, UDS *
* Ultra Fast Red Thermapen *
Projects
Kamado Restoration
Bandera Restoration

Midnight Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-06-2009, 10:41 PM   #6
ZBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBrisket View Post
I like his method for chicken. I use your method for burgers. We buy 90% lean and then I adjust the fat from there depending on what we are using it for. For burgers, I use 1lb 90% and half a chub of hot breakfast sausage for fat and flavor as a ratio. Makes for a nice burger. I probably go about 4 minutes per as well.

Now that sounds tasty Bob!!
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=blue][B][COLOR=red]Big Z's Sweet Gold[/COLOR] -[/B] [COLOR=black]R[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Georgia]ich honey mustard flavor with a BBQ kick. [/FONT][/FONT]
Great on chicken, burgers, brats, great on ribs too!
Get ya some @ [URL="http://www.greatlakesbbqsupply.com/product.sc?categoryId=3&productId=10"]Great Lakes BBQ Supply Co.[/URL]
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Palatino Linotype]WSM, Weber Gasser, Weber OTG[/FONT]
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Garamond][COLOR=black]"Tilly"[/COLOR][/FONT] - Spicewine Single Axle[/FONT]
[URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/Big-Zs-Sweet-Gold/115561446787?ref=nf"][COLOR=#810081]http://www.facebook.com/pages/Big-Zs-Sweet-Gold/115561446787?ref=nf[/COLOR][/URL]

[/FONT]
ZBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-07-2009, 09:30 AM   #7
Phesant
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBrisket View Post
Yep that sounds might tastey Bob

WSM
Char-Griller Super Pro w/SFB
Grill Sargent
Turkey / Fish Fryer
Weber Ranch Kettle "Lucky Girl" (A Stamp, 1979), [COLOR=darkorange][B]ORANGE THERMAPEN[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]Proud member of the Zero's :thumb:[/COLOR]
Phesant is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-07-2009, 09:35 AM   #8
igolf2
is one Smokin' Farker

Simple recipe that always gets praise - put a fairly thick slice of red onion on one thin patty - cover with another thin patty and seal making a nice thick burger and grill as normal - always turns out great and the family and friends always ask for "onion burgers"
Turkey Fryer / Clam Steamer
UDS
Moink Certified!
igolf2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-07-2009, 09:41 AM   #9
aks801
On the road to being a farker

Hmmm, I'm getting some good ideas from this. Thankie!

Unread 03-07-2009, 11:26 AM   #10
Desert Dweller
Babbling Farker

Location: Mesa, AZ Not exactly hell, but the zip code is very close...

You want something a little different, and juicy?

Try this:
2 one third pound patties 80% lean, squared
chopped onions, jalepenos
grated cheese of your choice

Place contiments on one patty, cover with second patty. Smash outer 1/2 inch all four sides, lightly press down on entire burger with cutting board or other flat object.

One hour in a smoker at 250. Pick up with tongs and squeeze lightly to emit water shed from veggies and cheese. After smoking you have a slightly larger than 1/2 pound burger with condiments and cheese already inside, dress bun according to taste and have at it. If you have chiabatta buns available give them a try...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 005.jpg (79.7 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg 006.jpg (79.2 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg 007.jpg (73.9 KB, 67 views)
LFSA RED Thermapen,
And 1 2010 Victor brand Hot Dog Cart
Desert Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-07-2009, 11:29 AM   #11
Lakeside Smoker
is one Smokin' Farker

Use a rocket hot cast iron pan. You'll never light a fire again...

In polite society, we have an unspoken agreement to call our obsessions hobbies. - Stephen King
Lakeside Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-07-2009, 11:31 AM   #12
Weiser
is one Smokin' Farker

That looks quite tasty Bo
I'm going to give it a try.

Weiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Dweller View Post

Try this:

Place contiments on one patty, cover with second patty. Smash outer 1/2 inch all four sides, lightly press down on entire burger with cutting board or other flat object.

One hour in a smoker at 250. Pick up with tongs and squeeze lightly to emit water shed from veggies and cheese. After smoking you have a slightly larger than 1/2 pound burger with condiments and cheese already inside, dress bun according to taste and have at it. If you have chiabatta buns available give them a try...
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR]
Weiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-07-2009, 11:54 AM   #13
cardiac_cadet002
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Dweller View Post

Try this:

I hope your cooking this right now, I'm drooling for some "After the Cook" photos....preferably one cut open!
Chargriller SnP

U.F.U.C. Blue Thermapen!
cardiac_cadet002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-07-2009, 11:55 AM   #14
Jorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks801 View Post

Using your patties I'd bank the coals for indirect cooking, but let them tail off gradually to cover about 1/2 the grill. I'd get a decent seer on them, and then start working towards the cool side of the grill as I turned them, and then return them to the heat for a quick turn or two before they were done. During the last step I'd add any cheese or additional seasoning. I've used that method for patties I get that already have some cheese or seasoning inside, as well as an unknown amount of fat. Have a cool zone saves me from fighting the grease flaring up, but I can still get the amount of char I want.

BOOGITY, BOOGITY, BOOGITY!!!

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-07-2009, 11:57 AM   #15
BBQ Grail

Burgers should only be flipped one time!

The best way to reach me is with email: larry@thebbqgrail.com
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote