MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-02-2009, 06:48 PM   #91
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33 View Post
We just inhaled the brisket flat I made last night. I hate to admit it, but thanks to barbefunkoramaq's Brisket thread, I think the brisket I just made was better than any I made all last year.

then again, it can also be because i haven't had brisket since before the royal last Oct.

brisket was Hickory/cherry mix. Started at 160-165 for 2-3 hours, then pushed to 250 to finish. No smoke ring to speak of, but excellent flavor. the wife is walkig around..'amazing.. thats from the pellet popper?" <--yes.. she said POPPER.

its not a 'smokey' flavor, but alot of 'wood' flavor. I think the salmon may wait till tomorrow since we just finished the entire flat and a load of texas toast.
Hmmm...nice brisky poob. Same with me on mine as far as smoke ring...though I started mine at 220...finished at 250...foiled after 4 hours when it hit 160 internal. Did you inject or marinade?
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-02-2009, 07:01 PM   #92
Solidkick

I will not judge him.....I will not judge him.....

Any leftovers to send this way?

------------------------------------------------
Belly Brothers BBQ Team

"Sister Flame" Spicewine Trailer Smoker,Modified Bandera, Uni-Flame Chicken Cooker with a Spicewine Thermometer mod,Kingsford Barrel cooker and a super fast RED thermapen

KC always said "fat cap up!!
Solidkick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-02-2009, 07:15 PM   #93
Plowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD McGee View Post
Did you inject or marinade?
Tweaker! Tweaker! Tweaker!

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-02-2009, 08:36 PM   #94
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

Nope. No injection or marinade. Just a 4 salt rub. I put a little bit of turbinado on it about 4 hours into the cook.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-02-2009, 09:21 PM   #95
JD McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowboy View Post
Tweaker! Tweaker! Tweaker!
Dude...I was using YOUR stuff... Good stuff BTW!
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2009, 08:03 PM   #96
BBQchef33

So.. cooking was slow this week with a foot of snow all around the yard, but the upside is that my new cover came the day after the snotstorm.

In the cooker since 7PM, is a 17 lb brisket. Salt & Pepper with bovine gold in between.

Pellets are mostly hickory. I'm running low. Have 400lbs on order.

At restaurant depot, I found these small(real small, about 5x2 and 4 inches deep) stainless steel steam table pans. I drilled 3 holes in each side and 3 on the bottom and filled the pan with some wood chips. Places the pan on the edge of the firepot and in about 15 minutes, the chips were smoldering a little. I am hoping to supplement the smoke at the beginning of the cook.

Temps are set at 160. Will run this way until midnight, then put it up to 245 and leave it alone for the night. Timing is everything on this one.. test is to see how long the briskets take at the longer low temp period. Challenge is to start figuring timing to decide if I will use this pit at a contest. (grrrrrrrrrrr.....)

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM

Old 03-06-2009, 08:27 PM   #97
bbqbull
Watching over us.

Wink

Quote:
So.. cooking was slow this week with a foot of snow all around the yard, but the upside is that my new cover came the day after the snotstorm.

In the cooker since 7PM, is a 17 lb brisket. Salt & Pepper with bovine gold in between.

Pellets are mostly hickory. I'm running low. Have 400lbs on order.

At restaurant depot, I found these small(real small, about 5x2 and 4 inches deep) stainless steel steam table pans. I drilled 3 holes in each side and 3 on the bottom and filled the pan with some wood chips. Places the pan on the edge of the firepot and in about 15 minutes, the chips were smoldering a little. I am hoping to supplement the smoke at the beginning of the cook.

Temps are set at 160. Will run this way until midnight, then put it up to 245 and leave it alone for the night. Timing is everything on this one.. test is to see how long the briskets take at the longer low temp period. Challenge is to start figuring timing to decide if I will use this pit at a contest. (grrrrrrrrrrr.....)
Not to hijack this thread but your new pits manufacture have lots of information on their.....forum.

"I wish my mind could forget what my eyes have seen. :shocked:"

"Heavily medicated for your protection. :doh:"

Klose Mobile Pit
Klose Owners Reccomended Pit
Cookshack Smokette
Gasser
Little Chief Smoker
Large BGE
Gifted to me my Pit Barrel Smoker :mrgreen::clap:[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/"][/URL]
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2009, 10:09 PM   #98
BBQchef33

what fun would that be?

News Flash:

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM

Old 03-06-2009, 10:15 PM   #99
SmokeInDaEye
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Sounds fun. When you starting mods on my 22.5 inch WSM? I need a smoker to cook on.
Gen II Komodo Kamado, Pit Barrel Cooker, 3x 18.5" WSMs, 22.5" WSM, modified 18.5" Weber Kettle, 22.5" Weber Kettle circa 1960ish, Weber One Touch Platinum, copper Weber Smokey Joe, La Caja China, Bubba Keg, Bodom Picnic Grill, Weber Genesis
SmokeInDaEye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2009, 10:17 PM   #100
BBQchef33

oh.. didnt I tell u??.. it works really great. :)

News Flash:

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM

Old 03-06-2009, 10:23 PM   #101
SmokeInDaEye
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
oh.. didnt I tell u??.. it works really great. :)
WSMs don't have plugs so I know you're lying!

I need to make a trek out to see the new beast though. When you having a cookout for us all?
Gen II Komodo Kamado, Pit Barrel Cooker, 3x 18.5" WSMs, 22.5" WSM, modified 18.5" Weber Kettle, 22.5" Weber Kettle circa 1960ish, Weber One Touch Platinum, copper Weber Smokey Joe, La Caja China, Bubba Keg, Bodom Picnic Grill, Weber Genesis
SmokeInDaEye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2009, 10:26 PM   #102
Trucky1008
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Temps are set at 160. Will run this way until midnight, then put it up to 245 and leave it alone for the night.
Not sure if you're aware of this, but if you set the hold temp to 245 you won't have to mess with it at midnight, it will change automatically. No reason to be up at midnight if you don't have to!

Jambo Backyard
Gateway Drum
Fast Eddy FEC100 X2
BGE- Large x2
Certified MOINK Ball Maker, 2008
KCBS Member and CBJ
8.5 X 28' ATC Trailer
Trucky1008 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2009, 10:48 PM   #103
BBQchef33

i set the cook temp to 160 for 5 hours, then the hold temp to 245 with a 14 hour cook cycle. That should get me to 9AM when I'll go peek.

wow.. this is alot of work.

NOT!! :)

News Flash:

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM

Old 03-06-2009, 11:21 PM   #104
Norcoredneck

Quote:
Challenge is to start figuring timing to decide if I will use this pit at a contest. (grrrrrrrrrrr.....)
Cheater , Cheater , Pellet eater!

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2009, 11:54 PM   #105
BBQchef33

ummm yeah?? and your point is?

Brisket has been in for 5 hours at 160. Temp in the flat is 125. The photos shows the little smoke box supplementing the pellets.

something kinda funny I noticed...... when u push "cook mode" button..it says.. 'set oven temperature', so I set the oven temp to 240.

I have the nu-temp with me to make sure the oven keeps running all night. So I guess I can watch TV, twiddle my thumbs, paint the den, count the peaks in the stucco, all while my brisket cooks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1314[1].jpg (77.8 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1315[1].jpg (86.7 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1316[2].jpg (77.9 KB, 80 views)

News Flash:

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM