The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 02-26-2009, 05:58 PM   #1
Bossmanbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default contest logs/ check-off sheets

Just wondered if any of you have any contest logs or check-off sheets that you use that you have found to be helpful that you would like to share. I'm trying to put some together and thought I might get some more ideas from seeing what other people have included in their logs.

" You can put all of the sauce on it you want, but you still have to master the art of cooking barbecue"
- Mike Mills-
Bossmanbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-26-2009, 06:04 PM   #2
Harbormaster
Quintessential Chatty Farker

PM sent
My Toys: 10 WSMs (B, C, DH, DA, EZ, DZ, EO, DU, DR, EE/DU mutt); Brinkman Cimmaron; Chuckwagon Cooker; 4 22.5" Bar-B-Q-Kettles; 2 18.5" Bar-B-Q-Kettle; 1 Red OTS (H); 3 WGAs (EZ, DE, N); 3 SJPs (DT, DR, DR); 2 Smokey Joes (A, K); Genesis Silver C (DU).
"For when democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote"
Harbormaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-26-2009, 06:06 PM   #3
eagle697
is one Smokin' Farker

I have done comps, never made a log or check off sheet. What all do you put on them? Could be a great thread.

2 NB Banderas, Imperial Kamado #5, Imperial Kamado #0, Large Grill Dome, Large Primo Kamado, 22.5 Weber Silver, 18.5 Weber Silver
eagle697 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-26-2009, 06:14 PM   #4
Bossmanbbq
is One Chatty Farker

I started to put a list together of prep to be done prior to the contest so I don't forget stuff. Prepartion log for each catagory check off with notes for each, and then a log to write down what I did at each contest to review later to help improve and remember what I did LOL
From talking to others this seems to be the best tool to have when competiting and to improve!

" You can put all of the sauce on it you want, but you still have to master the art of cooking barbecue"
- Mike Mills-
Bossmanbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-26-2009, 06:43 PM   #5
Buster Dog BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Smokin Guns has a good one
http://www.smokingunsbbq.com/checklist.cfm

Unread 02-26-2009, 09:32 PM   #6
Neal
Full Fledged Farker

It took us about 3 or 4 contests to get a good one worked up. The first thing I did was create a timeline for each of the four meats seperately. I started at the begining with trimming and went through every step, up to and including boxing the meat at the end. Then I merged all four into an Excel sheet and added some other stuff like lighting the fire in the cooker and making boxes. Each item has a check box to ensure we have done every step or to make sure that a step wasn't done twice. We used it for the first time a few years ago, adding a few things and it took some time to get it down. We still make revisions based on each contest. It really is our best tool.
[URL="http://www.dodgecountysmokers.com"][SIZE=1][B][I]www.dodgecountysmokers.com[/I][/B][/SIZE][/URL]

[I][SIZE=1]Custom Built Cooker / [/SIZE][/I][I][SIZE=1]Weber Kettle /[/SIZE][/I][I][SIZE=1]old New Braunfels offset in the backyard[/SIZE][/I]
[I][SIZE=1][/SIZE][/I]
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-27-2009, 09:51 AM   #7
Divemaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

I like the general information that Smokin Guns has on theirs...

My "To Bring" list, for better or worse, is far more detailed. What I would love to see is a 'To Do' check list...
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-27-2009, 10:45 AM   #8
Mike - CSBBBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal View Post
It took us about 3 or 4 contests to get a good one worked up. The first thing I did was create a timeline for each of the four meats seperately. I started at the begining with trimming and went through every step, up to and including boxing the meat at the end. Then I merged all four into an Excel sheet and added some other stuff like lighting the fire in the cooker and making boxes. Each item has a check box to ensure we have done every step or to make sure that a step wasn't done twice. We used it for the first time a few years ago, adding a few things and it took some time to get it down. We still make revisions based on each contest. It really is our best tool.
Agree, a timeline is one of the best things we ever did...especially when enjoying a tasty beverage

CHIX, SWINE & BOVINE Bbq.
Because Bad BBQ is Downright Criminal

[COLOR=#000080]csbbbq.com[/COLOR]
KCBS & MABA member - CBJ #21870
Jambo (Geer) Pit
Lang 84 Deluxe w/roof system
Lang 60 w/warmer
Mike - CSBBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-27-2009, 10:55 AM   #9
Alexa RnQ
is One Chatty Farker

Location: the Ninth Ring of Hell, cleverly disguised as Phoenix

We now have our overall pack list subdivided by what boxes each item is packed in. For the boxes themselves and what stuff goes in the trailer loose, let me just say: DON'T check anything off the list until it actually gets packed! I may THINK I'm going to grab that other thing on the way, but...

Timelines are golden. They're ever-evolving things, based on your cook methods and practice results, and that's exactly what makes them so valuable.

Don't practice until you get it right; practice until you can't get it wrong.
Don't overthink or undercook.

180 Brisket -- Sam's Club, Salt Lake City, UT 2014
180 Chicken -- Sam's Club National, Bentonville, AR 2013

Rhythm 'n QUE
Alexa RnQ is online now   Reply With Quote