The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 02-26-2009, 12:58 PM   #1
smooookin
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default If you had a 5lb Salmon fillet

And you wanted to smoke it for dinner tonight @say 6:30-7:00 what time would you put it on and how would you prep it?

Unread 02-26-2009, 01:08 PM   #2
Scrooge Fan
Full Fledged Farker

I would season with a generous amount of lemon pepper and nothing else. I would build a very small fire, perhaps 5 or 6 briquettes of charcoal and put the fish on a piece of aluminum foil close to, but not over the fire. I would use any kind of fruit wood for the smoke-apple, cherry, peach work well.

The temperature at the grill level on mine usually reads around 140 degrees. It takes about 4 hours. The whole time it looks like nothing is happening, but when you press with your finger at the end of 4 hours you can tell it is done. It will still be pink and moist. I serve it on crackers with chopped onions, black pepper and lemon juice. You can also put a little cream cheese on the cracker first if you wish.

I have created a lot of followers with this receipe.
Scrooge Fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-26-2009, 01:18 PM   #3
seattlepitboss
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smooookin View Post
And you wanted to smoke it for dinner tonight @say 6:30-7:00 what time would you put it on and how would you prep it?
I wouldn't smoke it, I'd grill it. Make a foil tray with sides on a cutting board, large enough to hold the fillet. About 90 minutes before dinner, drizzle the fish with soy sauce and Worcestershire, and salt it lightly. About 30 minutes before dinner, light your grill and bring it to medium heat. 20 minutes before dinner pick up the whole cutting board, take it out to the grill, open the lid and slide the foil tray onto the grill and close the lid. Baste with melted butter combined with the juice of one lemon, then grill
with the top closed until dinnertime. Don't shilly-shally around at the end, serve it quick - there is a narrow window between perfectly grilled salmon and pink cardboard.

I do a lot of salmon fishing up here in the Pacific Northwest, have cooked salmon many ways and this never ever fails to please. I serve it with lemon wedges and homemade tartar sauce, which I make from homemade mayonnaise with some capers, pickles and garlic greens (tough to get if you don't grow your own garlic) if you have them or some diced garlic cloves if you don't.

I smoke a lot of salmon too, but consider smoked salmon to be too strongly flavored and salty for an entree.

seattlepitboss
seattlepitboss is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-26-2009, 01:40 PM   #4
smooookin
is One Chatty Farker

I think I am gonna go the smoke it route. I will be doing in on the offset, cant decide on apple or wild cherry.

Unread 02-26-2009, 01:48 PM   #5
Bob50j
Knows what a fatty is.

I would also grill but without the aluminum foil boat. Mix up some melted butter, juice from one lemon, white wine, finely chopped onions, salt and pepper. Baste continuously during the grilling and be carefull to not flip till it holds together. Cook time on second side will be much less than original side. Serve with light veggie like asparagus or maybe a tomato salad and warm, hearty french bread. Save the smoking for when it can be done properly, long and slow for full flavor.

Last edited by Bob50j; 02-26-2009 at 01:50 PM.. Reason: one ingredient missing
Bob50j is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-26-2009, 01:50 PM   #6
milehigh
is One Chatty Farker

I would go with the milder apple

Paul
milehigh is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-26-2009, 02:13 PM   #7
thirdeye
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Downloads: 2

Boy, if I had a 5 pound side........I think I would lop off what I wanted tonight and either grill it or plank it. And you don't have to make a transverse cut, you can cut it lengthwise along the natural seam, I did one just a few days ago like that.
Hopefully the skin is still on. My seasonings are pretty simple, For sweeter flavor, I go with Dizzy Pig Raging River or Dizzy Dust. For regular I use a Canadian (Montreal) style rub. Lemon slices on top, maybe some fresh dill too, and cook until it's about 130°.

With the rest of the piece, I would cure it overnight, rest it tomorrow and smoke it tomorrow night, starting with alder and/or apple and a cherry finish for color.

KCBS - CBJ
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-26-2009, 02:19 PM   #8
smooookin
is One Chatty Farker

Thirdeye, that looks fantastic!

This is only the second time I have tried Salmon, I can see I need to do it more often..

Unread 02-26-2009, 02:51 PM   #9
Ron_L

Downloads: 1

I agree with grilling or planking it. Smoked salmon is great as an appetizer on crackers, but not for a meal.

seattlepitboss, the soy and worcestershire sounds good, but 20 minutes sounds too long to me. I grill mine on foil for about three minutes a side, but I like my salmon medium rare.

Unwrap me!
Smoke me!
Eat me!

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser

Remembering a friend
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-26-2009, 03:27 PM   #10
sfbbqguy
is one Smokin' Farker

Planked is a great way to go. You don't have to worry as much about over cooking and always turns out real good. I usually find it takes a little longer to cook on the plank.
'08 Weber Genesis Gasser
SJG Tamale Pot Mini Smoker (SJG was a rescue)
and a Pyro FIL
sfbbqguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-26-2009, 03:32 PM   #11
Countryhb
is One Chatty Farker

Plank it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kamado #7
BWS Party
NB offset with baffle and chimney mods--STOLEN
Double-barrel 55-gal drum smoker
A farking weed burner...hehe hehe! Fire's Cool!
Countryhb is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-26-2009, 03:36 PM   #12
bbqvic
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

This recipe says salmon steaks - but I have done sides.

TERIYAKI SALMON
2 c. soy sauce
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
2 tsp. ginger
1 1/4 c. sugar
1 1/2 c. cooking sherry
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1 c. brown sugar
8-12 salmon steaks
Combine all ingredients except salmon in a saucepan and simmer for 45 minutes. Do not boil. Make sure sugar dissolves completely. Cool.
Marinate steaks 4 hours in sauce. Barbecue steaks over hot coals until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. Reheat Teriyaki Sauce and pour over each individual dish to serve with salmon steaks.

This is awesome grilled!!!

Unread 02-26-2009, 03:42 PM   #13
smooookin
is One Chatty Farker

Well I went with plan A. I like the K I S S method for first or second runs.

I didnt have any planks so it is on a couple of small oven racks. I was afraid with the wind picking up that 140 would be a challenge. She seems to be riding 140-143 I'll take it.

Unread 02-26-2009, 04:46 PM   #14
mikeb6109
Got Wood.

i would slow cook it with a nice maple chunk for smoke. rub heavily with raging river then before pulling mix some butter and maple syrup and glaze it !

Unread 02-26-2009, 04:58 PM   #15
smooookin
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
before pulling mix some butter and maple syrup and glaze
I am liking that part, but, i am back to the lowcarb thing. Great pics BTW.