ブタ
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 02-20-2009, 01:14 PM   #1
igolf2
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Hope to Lose my Brisket Virginity this Sunday!

Just got back from the local Greens & Grains and the butcher gave me a nice deal on a brisket (flat).

Any friendly advise for a 1st timer as far as prep, inject or not (and with what), fat cap up or down, etc. would be appreciated.

I know I am not smoking it on an "approved Brethren smoking device" but it's what I have to work with for now.

Just received my order of Plowboy's Yardbird rub so I was thinking of using a bit of that with just some salt and pepper.

Will do my best to provide some decent pron to commemorate the event.
Turkey Fryer / Clam Steamer
UDS
Moink Certified!
igolf2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-20-2009, 01:21 PM   #2
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Keep it simple at first. Salt and cracked black pepper rub. No injection. Fat cap toward the heat source, usually that means down.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-20-2009, 01:22 PM   #3
BobBrisket

Bite the pillow if you need to and just relax and let it happen........don't tense up.......
Oh wait, "brisket" virginity.......Well, then. Rub it, load the GOSM with wood chunks and try to get a 220-230 temp on it and just let it ride. I've done both cap up and down. For some reason I've had better luck with cap down. Monitor temp of brisket, don't go by time. Once the probe goes in like butta, it's done.

I hope it's good for you to!!

By the way, I love my GOSM. It's made real good q for me.
UDS, Pit Barrel Cooker-Courtesy of Poobah, WSM, 22.5 Weber Kettles-K and DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver B, Lil' Chief Smoker, Lodge Sportman Grill, Backyard Fire Pit, Dutch Ovens, Discada Set Up!
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver

My BEST Compliment......"You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son.
Git Smokin, Dan!
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-20-2009, 01:54 PM   #4
igolf2
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks guys - I have all day and lots of foamy malt-type beverages on hand. I can get a real steady 220-230 with the GOSM now that I fashioned a wind break for it.

Bob, do you recommend foiling after a certain temp is reached?
UDS
Moink Certified!

Unread 02-20-2009, 02:18 PM   #5
BBQ Grail

Bob's in Texas, of course, he foils.

The best way to reach me is with email: larry@thebbqgrail.com
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-20-2009, 02:21 PM   #6
1_T_Scot
is Blowin Smoke!

I just quit using sugar on my brisket and I think it really improved. I would reccomend S&P and some Garlic (if you want).

Then as BobBrisket said "Monitor temp of brisket, don't go by time. Once the probe goes in like butta, it's done." Should be internal temp of 190-200.

Also you might want to allow extra time for resting. I don't use foil until I pull it off the smoker then wrap in foil and rest for a few hours (usually 1.5-2 hours).

Slice across the grain and enjoy.

Supporting Disabled Veterans. Link Removed. Diveheart .org

Large Big Green Egg - Fathers Day 2009
1_T_Scot is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-20-2009, 02:40 PM   #7
BobBrisket

In the words of Shane.........."Bite me Larry!!"

I'd say foil yes, since it's a flat. But I foil packers too. It's an impulse for us Texans.

When to foil kinda depends on how it's doing. Sometimes the plateau takes forever and foil helps it get over the hump if you are short on time. I usually foil at about 180(sometimes lower than that) then take it up from there. If it was still kinda tough go up to 195-200. If it was already close to Butta, then maybe just to 190-195. A lot also depends on whether you are going to cooler the brisket or not. I don't cooler them so I put them back in the pit and then rest them on the counter with the foil cracked open.

The last time I did briskets I separated the points and flats. I'll never go back to doing whole ones again. The flat cooks so much better that way and then you can take the point higher for making burnt ends.

Be wary of the "suds". I've farked up plenty a good brisket cause of excessive suds consumption!!
UDS, Pit Barrel Cooker-Courtesy of Poobah, WSM, 22.5 Weber Kettles-K and DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver B, Lil' Chief Smoker, Lodge Sportman Grill, Backyard Fire Pit, Dutch Ovens, Discada Set Up!
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver

My BEST Compliment......"You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son.
Git Smokin, Dan!
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-20-2009, 03:25 PM   #8
igolf2
is one Smokin' Farker

Suds a must for any smoking / BBQ session but I will be a bit more careful with intake as I don't want to Fark-up a $30 hunk-o-bovine and invite the wrath of she-who-must-be-obeyed.

Getting some get directions/suggestions - Thanks!
UDS
Moink Certified!

Unread 02-20-2009, 06:41 PM   #9
Meat Burner
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by trp1fox View Post
Bob's in Texas, of course, he foils.

NB Bandera with mods
Weber 22 .5" x 2, 26.75" x 1
UDS x 3
KCBS CBJ
Created "The Great Spam Revelation of 2011."
www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111155
Meat Burner is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-20-2009, 07:09 PM   #10
jestridge

I always foil just keep it simple you do fine dont get in a hurry,
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-20-2009, 07:17 PM   #11
Bigmista

I said it before and I'll say it again...

1. It ain't nearly as hard as you think to cook a brisket.
2. The temperature you cook it at doesn't matter. I've done good briskets hot & fast and low & slow.
3. The cooker doesn't matter AS LONG AS THE BRISKET FITS! Gotta have air flow to keep your temps up. Trying to cook 4 big briskets in a UDS is more trouble than it's worth.
4. Sugar and beef rarely work well together. Beef should taste like beef. Pork and chicken are better at taking on the flavors that are added to them.
5. Everyone should cook a brisket with just salt & pepper at least once.
6. You can smoke a brisket part of the way one day and finish it the next day and still have it come out good.
7. Bark is tasty but overrated. I find that if the bark is crunchy then the ends will crumble on your slices. Figure out what is important to you.
8. Temperature is only a guideline. Learn to detect doneness by feel.
9. It's almost impossible to slice against the grain of a whole packer. Split the point and the flat before slicing. Slicing correctly is at least as important and doneness where tenderness is concerned.
10. Don't be bashful with your seasoning. I find that most seasoning mellows after hours in the smoke. If you start light, you end with nothing. BE BOLD!!

Study everything I have just said. Absorb it. Now throw it out the window and find your own path!

Exodus 29:18
Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD.

God loves BBQ!

Bigmista Custom Spicewine Trailer - Olivia J. PIMA
Large and Medium Spicewines
Weber Ranch Kettle - E.T.

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-20-2009, 08:20 PM   #12
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeSmellsLikeSmoke View Post
Keep it simple at first. Salt and cracked black pepper rub. No injection. Fat cap toward the heat source, usually that means down.
How the hell does some damn yankee know how to make a perfect Brisket? Damn man... when we share the secret with you your not supposed to blab it all out. This forum is to obscure and diffuse the attempts of others from making a good brisket.

Damn

Before there was Foil there was Butcher Paper. Foil causes Alzheimers. You would not catch me using it ever... I never ever used foil.

Unread 02-20-2009, 08:22 PM   #13
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbefunkoramaque View Post
How the hell does some damn yankee know how to make a perfect Brisket? Damn man... when we share the secret with you your not supposed to blab it all out. This forum is to obscure and diffuse the attempts of others from making a good brisket.

Damn
Ohhh, one little drive across country and NOW you are a Texan again?

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-20-2009, 08:26 PM   #14
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Before there was Foil there was Butcher Paper. Foil causes Alzheimers. You would not catch me using it ever... I never ever used foil.

Unread 02-20-2009, 08:28 PM   #15
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeSmellsLikeSmoke View Post
Ohhh, one little drive across country and NOW you are a Texan again?

LOL dude I had some "texas" brisket the other day that I could snap like a bra strap from across the table and still have the whole 1/8 slice in my hand when it came back.

I was like.... what the hell is this. I am gonna order that guy a Oyler Smoker control knob that has its temp shifted 50 degrees higher and switch them at midnight