oink
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-18-2009, 01:14 AM   #1
trwong
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default Brine or marinade for ribs

Hi,
Does anyone have a brine or marinade recipe for spare ribs they could share. I'm looking for something that would put flavor into the rib meat and also make them more tender and juicy.
trwong is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2009, 01:22 AM   #2
Norcoredneck
somebody shut me the fark up.

Time and temperature, salt and pepper.
Dr pepper maybe?

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2009, 01:25 AM   #3
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by trwong View Post
Hi,
Does anyone have a brine or marinade recipe for spare ribs they could share. I'm looking for something that would put flavor into the rib meat and also make them more tender and juicy.
If you are smoking your meat properly, you should need NO foil, injections, brine, or any other cheats.The meat should speak for itself. A good rub helps, too, but keep it simple....
Big Red UDS/Small BGE/Blackstone Pizza Oven/Pit Barrel Cooker/Vision Kamado/Purebred American Rat Terrier Whisperer
Check out my blog:
www.mooseonfire.com

Moose is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2009, 02:44 AM   #4
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

Have you been using a rub? That, and a light finishing glaze imparts some more flavor. As far as tenderness, a lot of people foil for an hour or two using some variation of the 3-2-1 method.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2009, 07:04 AM   #5
BBQ Grail

I've never brined or marinaded ribs. Just a good rub about six hours on the smoker and a nice finishing sauce. Plenty of flavor. With ribs being so thin the smoke and rub should be all you need.

The best way to reach me is with email: larry@thebbqgrail.com
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2009, 07:08 AM   #6
tony76248
is One Chatty Farker

It definitely isn't necessary to brine ribs. Brine is a means to help lean cuts of meat from drying out in sustained long cooks or high temp grilling. It will also impart flavor into the meat being brined. Again, this is not necessary for ribs. I would brine chicken and pork loins, this is good, but this is not necessary.

I do believe in foiling my ribs Moose, I have done well using this process in comps and I believe most folks also use this method. Definitely not a cheat?

There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures.
Right next to the mashed potatoes.

Brinkmann Model 6668 Gasser
Hibachi Grill
Stumps GF223 w/ Stoker assist
ECB that wins the $
Weber One-Touch Gold 22-1/2"
#3 Komono
Large BGE w/ Stoker assist
55 gallon Drum Smoker
Wood Crate Cold smoker w/ smoke injector
No need for certification, I already know good BBQ!
tony76248 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2009, 07:09 AM   #7
Nature Boy
Full Fledged Farker

In my opinion I don't think any marinade is going to make your ribs tender and juicy. Cooking them properly will get you that. I find that a good rub, a light glaze of sauce toward the end, and the flavor of the pork is just right. Unless you are trying to add a particular flavor, you can save yourself some trouble by skipping the marinade.

Happy cookin!
Chris

Old 02-18-2009, 07:32 AM   #8
Bbq Bubba

Norco showed me this brining technique once....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bbq-ribs-1.jpg (36.1 KB, 240 views)
Michigan State Lead-Operation BBQ Relief
www.operationbbqrelief.com
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2009, 09:40 AM   #9
Norcoredneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba View Post
Norco showed me this brining technique once....
Ensures moistness if you have the tendency to overcook things. Figured I'd help Bubba out on that one.

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2009, 11:32 AM   #10
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

mistake

Old 02-18-2009, 11:35 AM   #11
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

I cook for Popdaddy and one time I thought I would impress him by doing what you are talking about. Its okay for grilling but not for smoking. I used to make a paste or slather for my ribs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvElR...51071&index=13

that was mustard and rub that was smeared on. Then I thought I would get creative and use a medium of rub and Worcestershire sauce (expensive) and try and save time by dipping them in it. Now the ribs I did immediately were okay but the ones I let sit a night in the same stuff sucked. I find this to be the case with other marinades as well... the one caveat to this rule being the time you marinade it.

Popdaddy ultimately found out, called me on the bag phone and suspended me for a week and docked me for the wasted materials.

Popdaddy says..."People that marinade ribs should have their bodies slowly eroded by high speed water jets from the extremities inward. Except for me. People should not be allowed to make their mistakes or experiment in any way or form" Popdaddy always says.

Moink Balls ABT's and Armadillo eggs to you all.

Bold print for the Retarded

Old 02-18-2009, 11:37 AM   #12
Moose

[quote=tony76248;855252 I do believe in foiling my ribs Moose, I have done well using this process in comps and I believe most folks also use this method. Definitely not a cheat?[/quote]

I know that foiling ribs is popular, and I didn't mean to offend. However, having tried both, I see how using foil accelerates the cooking (and softening) of the meat, which often results in meat that is "falling off the bone", which I don't care for. I prefer meat that still has some texture to it and has a slight "tug". Of course, one can achieve the same result using foil with the right timing, but have a look at my "Maple Smoked Back Ribs" post and you'll see ribs that are almost falling off the bone, yet were never foiled. I'm certainly a proponent of whatever works, but to date, I haven't seen the need for foil. Am I missing something?
Big Red UDS/Small BGE/Blackstone Pizza Oven/Pit Barrel Cooker/Vision Kamado/Purebred American Rat Terrier Whisperer
Check out my blog:
www.mooseonfire.com

Moose is online now   Reply With Quote