עָטִין
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 02-02-2009, 10:25 AM   #1
snokid
Knows what a fatty is.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default New (to me )toy update

Hey there

Just an update on the Traeger…... I had no plans for Sunday afternoon and the big game so I thought that this would be a goodtime to do my first Pork butt or two. Saturday night after checking this most wonderful forum for Butt recipes….I decided to do one with a mustard coating and then added a generous amount of mesquite rub the other I Rubbed with some EEOV and then rubbed with a generous amount of Bone Sucking Rub…I wrapped them both in clear wrap and put them in the Fridge…
Sunday morning at 4:30am ( my normal wake up time on Sundays) I took them out and placed them on the counter for an hour…at 5:30 I placed them on the Traeger with the temp set at 225* using apple chips/pellets , and started to get ready for Sunday services…now this being my first true attempt at a long smoke I was kinda nervous and still not too trusting of the temp controller, I was constantly checking the temp read out …I really didn’t want to screw this up…At 7:30 I checked the unit one last time and went to work (9am service). The parsonage is right next to the church and the wind was just right so everyone coming to church was greeted with that wonderful Smokey aroma and trust me there were lots of comments and questions and request for samples of the finished products….Second service was at 11am, so between the services I did a quick check of temps the traeger was holding good at 225 and the butts were showing a temp of 135*, I topped off the Hopper and headed to Twin Bridges MT for the second services….I got back home at 1pm and the butts were at 160* …at 2:15 we reached 165* and though I wanted to get a photo of the butts, I did want to waste any time getting them foiled, so I have no photos. I foiled the butts and added about ¾ cup of white grape juice to each butt, and had them back in the smoker in 10 min. I did end up with an invitation to a pre game dinner so I did up a 4 fatties on the weber and went to dinner at 3:30….I left at half time and when I got home everything was going great and by 7pm the butts had reached 200* and I got them wrapped up it towels and into the cooler…the butts cooled down to 165* by 10 pm and the pulling started..actually there was not much pulling to be done as they just kinda fell apart on their own….all I can say is WOW … I did get a few shots of the finished product..Thank you all for your kind words…my apologies for the longwinded post …

Grace and peace

Ben
snokid is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-02-2009, 10:34 AM   #2
Harbormaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

Looks good and moist with a nice bark Ben.
Nice work!
My Toys: 10 WSMs (B, C, DH, DA, EZ, DZ, EO, DU, DR, EE/DU mutt); Brinkman Cimmaron; Chuckwagon Cooker; 5 22.5" Bar-B-Q-Kettles; 1 18.5" Bar-B-Q-Kettle; 3 WGAs (EZ, DE, N); 2 SJPs ( DR, DR); 2 Smokey Joes (A, K); Genesis Silver C (DU).
"For when democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote"
Harbormaster is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-02-2009, 12:28 PM   #3
bbqbull

Downloads: 1

Perfect job on the butts Snokid!

KC I miss your advice.

Heavily medicated for your protection.
Founding member of Operation Bbq Relief.

Klose Mobile Pit
Klose Owners Reccomended Pit
Cookshack Smokette
Gasser
Little Chief Smoker
Large BGE
Gifted to me my Pit Barrel Smoker
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-02-2009, 01:19 PM   #4
SpammyQ
Take a breath!

Yeah, those look great. Isn't it amazing how those butts just sort of fall apart when they are done right?
UDS
and a Super Fast R E D Thermopen!!!
SpammyQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-02-2009, 02:36 PM   #5
smokinvic
is one Smokin' Farker

They look awesome. It's a great thing when they just fall apart....

"I am the Lizard King.... I can do anything."

"Out here on the perimeter there are no stars... out here we is stoned.... immaculate" - An American Poet
smokinvic is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-02-2009, 02:39 PM   #6
garyk1398
Babbling Farker

Looks great!

Gary, KCBS -CBJ
Certified Nebraska MOINK Baller, KCBS - CBJ
Semper Fi, when in doubt empty the magazine
garyk1398 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-02-2009, 03:25 PM   #7
rcubed3r
Knows what a fatty is.

Nice looming grub!
Now that I am comfortable with my Traeger, I will put my butts on around 10pm. I will take them off the next day at about 11AM, and wrap and rest them for 2-6 hours. That way, they are ready when we are! Good eats, and simple!
Ron
rcubed3r is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-02-2009, 05:09 PM   #8
Divemaster

I don't think you were playing fair. Using that good smoke flavor to direct those lost souls to your church... Bet attendance was up!

Great job on the grub!!

BTW... I'm going to have to tell my Pastor about what you did. Maybe it'll work for us!
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-02-2009, 07:35 PM   #9
zydecopaws
Babbling Farker

Nice butt! I'm gonna have to try that recipe with the mustard one of these days...

MOINK Ball Wizard and ALF Award Recipient

Webers up the wazoo, a bunch o' Pyromids, Bubba Ho-Keg, and the CrockaQue
zydecopaws is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-02-2009, 08:31 PM   #10
jestridge

Nice looking pork butt, I do the bbq for our church , man those Baptist can really eat,
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-03-2009, 04:42 AM   #11
Norcoredneck

Nice Butt Dude!

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-03-2009, 05:24 AM   #12
jimdandysnyjim