The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 01-28-2009, 12:01 PM   #1
watg?
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Contest privacy/spying?

What are your thoughts on privacy at a contest? Both giving and receiving. Some teams operate within enclosed trailers, other use trailers and other equipment as blockers to prevent wandering eyes, still others erect tents and screens to ensure no one sees what they are doing. How do you feel about this procedure? Do you work to prevent shigging or invading eyes? Do you get offended when your neighbor erects a screen on Saturday morning? when you are being watched? Do you care if anyone sees your procedure? Do you assign a team member to watch a nearby setup? Do you spend time trying to see what the “team over there” is doing to their chicken? Do you become annoyed when a fellow competitor stops by your work table during a critical time? Do you make it a habit to visit others while they are prepping to see what is going on? Thoughts???…Comments???

Startin the Fire-(a book) Everything you need to know about starting a competition BBQ team. (except the recipes) www.startinthefire.com

"Let me have a diablo sandwich and a Dr. Pepper, make it fast, I'm in a ---damn hurry". Sheriff Buford T.Justice
watg? is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-28-2009, 12:03 PM   #2
Sledneck
Time Out

For some its more than meats the eye
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-28-2009, 12:09 PM   #3
Bigmista
somebody shut me the fark up.

Never been a big deal to me. Folks come and watch me prep all of the time and I appreciate the company. I don't have any big secrets. Most of what I know is already up hear on the board. I post my turn-in boxes, ingredients and techniques (although they are all subject to change at a moments notice.

On Saturday morning, I am usually walking around with a video camera or a digital camera. Nobody has ever sent me away. I don't try to get pics of their techniques either. Just all in good fun. Maybe folks just know that I think it would be pointless to cheat.

Exodus 29:18
Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD.

God loves BBQ!

Bigmista Custom Spicewine Trailer - Olivia J. PIMA
Large and Medium Spicewines
Weber Ranch Kettle - E.T.

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-28-2009, 12:15 PM   #4
Pig Headed
Babbling Farker

George, I don't care if pepole stop by and watch what I'm doing, but then I don't do so well that nobody cares what I'm doing. Can I come by and watch you do chicken?

Pigheaded BBQ Team
www.pigheadedbbq.com
KCBS CBJ

Stumps Stretch (Raquel) Eagles Green.
1 -22" Weber WSM, 1 - 18"Weber WSM's
2 - 22" kettles
6x12 Haulmark Trailer
Pig Headed is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-28-2009, 12:23 PM   #5
monty3777
is One Chatty Farker

I'm a new competitor so this is only an uninformed opinion. Let me say that I don't believe in BBQ secrets. Sure, at the upper levels there may be subtle nuances that make the difference between GC and RGC. However, the reason folks score well in comp after comp is skill, not a secret rub or method of glazing meat. Again, I may be wrong here but I have had some exposure to what big time teams do and they didn't hesitate to share their methods with me. I think the reason for this is that they know that the difference between them and me is not a secret spice in their rub. The difference is skill and experience. You can't steal that!!

Unread 01-28-2009, 12:28 PM   #6
Scottie
Babbling Farker

I have a sponsors banner that I hang. It's also everything that I use. Do I change some things around to make it mine? Yes I do...

So in one breath I could care less. In another, all shiggers should be shot....

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-28-2009, 12:29 PM   #7
Spydermike72
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by monty3777 View Post
I'm a new competitor so this is only an uninformed opinion. Let me say that I don't believe in BBQ secrets. Sure, at the upper levels there may be subtle nuances that make the difference between GC and RGC. However, the reason folks score well in comp after comp is skill, not a secret rub or method of glazing meat. Again, I may be wrong here but I have had some exposure to what big time teams do and they didn't hesitate to share their methods with me. I think the reason for this is that they know that the difference between them and me is not a secret spice in their rub. The difference is skill and experience. You can't steal that!!
I agree with Monty. I personally dont care if anyone is looking at prep or turn in time. If anybody wants to know what I am using all they have to do is ask... Not that I am to a point where others are wondering what I am using .... Yet....
Backwoods Competitor
Backwoods Party
Ranch Kettle,Weber Performerl
Certified Moink Baller
President of the Great Lakes BBQ Association

For those who fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know
Spydermike72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-28-2009, 12:30 PM   #8
Stoke&Smoke
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 1

Last year was our first at comps, we only did 4, and I am happy to say we don't shig! But we were lucky enough to have some more experienced cooks give us some advice here and there along the way.

I don't mind people hanging around our site, enjoy the company, but I think that even if someone else gave you every secret they had, and starting with the same product, seasonings, and sauces, the better cooks product will usually win.

Now, I need to work on being a better cook!
KCBS CJ/TC #17139 Member ILBBQS
Too many cookers to list
Stoke&Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-28-2009, 12:38 PM   #9
CajunSmoker
is Blowin Smoke!

Location: Rolling down the river between St Louis and New Orleans

Most of the people I talk to at comps will tell you jst about anything you want to know. Why spy and cheat when you can just ask. As far as anyone shiggin on us, I think they'll figure out pretty quick that we're not the ones to be spying on

How y'all are? I'm glad you got to see me I guarontee Justin Wilson 4/24/1914 - 09/05/2001
CAJUN QUE KREWE Proud ARKLAFO
KCBS member & CBJ#24398
Twin CoonAss Ugly Drum Smokers
Brinkman Smoke King Deluxe
Brinkman Gourmet ECB with super chicken mods
Weber OTS kettle
CajunSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-28-2009, 12:43 PM   #10
Smokin' Gnome BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Since I really dont have any secrets (yet ) I dont really mind visitors except around turn in time , just a little busy then. I am pretty social and I walk around and talk to people, I try to avoid those who look busy. I am also blessed with the friends I have made that share info as well as this site. Other then stealing someones spices and sauces or going through there stuff I dont think someone can copy what you are doing. I think it is more then meets the eye as well as practice, which cant be shigged.

Unread 01-28-2009, 12:48 PM   #11
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie View Post

So in one breath I could care less. In another, all shiggers should be shot....
I don't think that was included in our original license agreement.

BOOGITY, BOOGITY, BOOGITY!!!

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-28-2009, 12:53 PM   #12
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

I personally cannot stand the guys who hide behind tents and hide in their trailers. It kinda rubs me the wrong way. I understand for weather purposes to hide under tents or in closures. But as far as the guy hiding in his trailer to trim his chicken, get a life - we all know you are forming your cute little plastic puffs (quoted from sledneck). Don't mean to sound harsh, or maybe I do! This is more than a regular comp, I consider it almost a social event. Hiders should be removed. Non social weirdo's.

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-28-2009, 01:02 PM   #13
Alexa RnQ
is One Chatty Farker

Location: the Ninth Ring of Hell, cleverly disguised as Phoenix

Count me in the "non social weirdo" camp, then. We've very rarely put up a privacy wall for a short time during prep, and had people come and deliberately rip on the velcro and stick their heads in! Hel-LOOO!!! What an unpleasant shock they would have had if I were changing clothes in there, hmmm?

That having been said, I don't come into anyone's camp uninvited the same as I would not come into their HOME and start poking around uninvited. It's common courtesy. I also have no problem, when the time comes, with nicely saying "Bro, could you excuse us for a moment? We've got to tend to some business". There's never been a problem, and we get in plenty of socializing.

Don't practice until you get it right; practice until you can't get it wrong.
Don't overthink or undercook.

Rhythm 'n QUE
Alexa RnQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-28-2009, 01:15 PM   #14
Scottie
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
I don't think that was included in our original license agreement.

That's why I have a Security Detail working for me.... Saves me from having to be packing...

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-28-2009, 01:20 PM   #15
YankeeBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
That's why I have a Security Detail working for me.... Saves me from having to be packing...
Unless it's me shigging Pork Loin off of Darren at Qlossal right ?

This post is my opinion and mine alone, not necessarily that of the KCBS, it's board of directors or office nor that of Peter Pan, Tinkerbell and certainly not Rush Limbaugh.
YankeeBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote