The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 01-25-2009, 09:40 PM   #1
mredowling
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default competition vs. profit?

competition vs. profit?
so do people make money selling "samples" at competition or do you just hope to win and make money off the purse?
I know fun is important but..I'm trying to decide how far to travel and how much i would be willing to spend on equipment. What I'm thinking is that the smaller competitions are more for fun and any free stuff or prize money. I read on kcbs that it usually costs around $300 to compete.
I'm very new so any info is helpful.
also any mentor teams in Boise ID. threes a competition on 4/1-4 here in Boise would like to attend and be on a team but as i said I'm totally new
Thanks ED
mredowling is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-25-2009, 09:53 PM   #2
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 4

Most contests wont let u sell stuff unless your a vendor(paid a vendor fee). Theres also the board of health regulations that limit it. Even giving stuff away free isnt always allowed. Vendor fees, if available, vary from contest to contest.

BTW, Cost of competing is not $300.. Thats the highend of entry fees.

Then theres meat cost ($150), supplies($200-300+), Beer, Tequilla, Fuel costs, etc.. plan on $500 to $1000 per contest depending on how you want to do it.

Heres some links to get u started.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...petition+costs

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-25-2009, 10:04 PM   #3
mredowling

Thanks!
yes what i was thinking was $100 entry fee and $200 for meat or so.
So most compititions dont have vending as well..
Ill read some of those links for sure
Thanks for everything'
ED

Unread 01-25-2009, 10:21 PM   #4
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 4

Heres what we start with: (NY prices)

Entry fee $200
Meats $160
2 briskets 60$
2 packs chicken $20
6 racks ribs $50
2 butts $30
Groceries and supplies. This surprisingly adds up. Dont be surprised at $400 the first time around. Foils, charcoal(if needed), paper goods, juices, trash bags, greens, drinks, seasonings, team food, breakfast, etc. Next one will be less because you stocked up on paper, foil,bags.etc.. but still run 200+

so theres $760 right there. Add in fuels costs.. etc..

no one ever said its a cheap hobby.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-25-2009, 10:27 PM   #5
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

Our team spends on average over 1000.00 per comp, especially with last years fuel prices. This stuff gets very expensive. Three days of drinking @ $50 a bottle, 4 guys, two bottles each!!!!! The best way to learn inmo is the school of hard knocks. Go out there and find someone at the comp who will speak to you honestly and go for it. Good Luck

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-25-2009, 11:32 PM   #6
mredowling

yes im trying to find someone but im not able to travel very far so ...
anyone in boise looking for an extra hand i can help with exensis a little...
?
ED

Unread 01-25-2009, 11:59 PM   #7
thenewguy
Full Fledged Farker

"exensis".....is that one of those "enlargement" pills?
Sorry....I'll go back to my corner now....
thenewguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-26-2009, 01:04 AM   #8
mredowling

add a p to that
i think???

Unread 01-26-2009, 07:51 AM   #9
paydabill
is one Smokin' Farker

It is post like these that I want to give a big shout out to my partner Brian - IRRAD8 - it makes my checkbook happy, which makes my wife happy.

As far as selling - when I did it by myself - I would sell meat before hand - I would tell people what I would have extra and presale it. If I had more demand, then I would cook more, which gave me more to chose from durring turn in.
2 pellet cookers latter!
CBJ - love judging
KCBS - member for 4 years
MOFO Chapter

Super fast - BLUE Thermopen
paydabill is offline   Reply With Quote