What's the rub part deux

igolf2

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Well - I started a previous thread explaining that I bought a large amount of rub and then added to it to personalize. I love it but "she who must be obeyed" says it's too hot (waaa)
Anyway here's my question. Anyway to tone it down or decrease the heat factor? I added some more brown sugar but I don't want to go overboard on the sweetness.
BTW I kept a few Lbs. of the "Too Spicy - Waaa mixture" just for myself and others who like the heat.

21" of Global Warming now reside on my back deck along with my grill and smoker - Glad it's a normal winter here in Northeast Ohio

That's the way to do it (2 different rubs). Sweet is the cure for too much heat, but can also make it unbalanced if you add too much.:wink:

Keep on experimenting. I can't begin to tell you how much rub I have tossed out because in the end it wasn't good enough. Yeah, I would save each and every one of them for a rainy day, and then one day while cleaning stuff out I would find a brick of old rub, wonder what it was and toss it.:biggrin:

You may want to slather the meat with Mayo. I think the dairy in it may help... (I really don't know but I do know that dairy does help when you've eaten something hot.)

you may want to cut it with things other than just brown sugar
paprika/brown sugar/salt just keep the salt percentage same as before

I love it but "she who must be obeyed" says it's too hot (waaa)

Tasted on finished barbecued meat or tasted by itself? The flavor will be diluted on the final product after cooking, spraying with apple juice, mopping, glazing, saucing, etc.

Back