The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 01-11-2009, 11:20 AM   #1
mredowling
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Joining a BBQ team?

Hi, new guy here.
I was wondering how to go about finding a BBQ team, and if you join a team per-say, or starting a team for that matter. I have some free time(not lots but some) and would love to contribute and learn BBQ. the thing that i don't have is money or space as in i cant keep or buy any equipment. I could help buy the food of course .... anyway I'm guessing that most teams are a bunch of guys that know each other before hand and then start to BBQ. The other thing is that BBQ is not super popular around here (Boise, ID) so there's not a lot of teams. Although that seems to be changing i think, slowly. Anyway let me know if I'm way off base or where to look if you have any tips
Thanks, ED
mredowling is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-11-2009, 11:29 AM   #2
Mike - CSBBBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

I'm sure there will be better suggestions but here is mine. Find a contest you can attend, load a cooler (wheels will help) with your favorite beverage, walk around Friday evening with the cooler, introduce yourself, offer a beverage, explain your situation and listen. Someone may be able to hook you up with a team or you may find someone thining about starting another team. Enjoy and Good Luck!

CHIX, SWINE & BOVINE Bbq.
Because Bad BBQ is Downright Criminal

[COLOR=#000080]csbbbq.com[/COLOR]
KCBS & MABA member - CBJ #21870
Jambo (Geer) Pit
Lang 84 Deluxe w/roof system
Lang 60 w/warmer
Mike - CSBBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-11-2009, 12:00 PM   #3
Ashmont
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredowling View Post
Hi, new guy here.
I was wondering how to go about finding a BBQ team, and if you join a team per-say, or starting a team for that matter. I have some free time(not lots but some) and would love to contribute and learn BBQ. the thing that i don't have is money or space as in i cant keep or buy any equipment. I could help buy the food of course .... anyway I'm guessing that most teams are a bunch of guys that know each other before hand and then start to BBQ. The other thing is that BBQ is not super popular around here (Boise, ID) so there's not a lot of teams. Although that seems to be changing i think, slowly. Anyway let me know if I'm way off base or where to look if you have any tips
Thanks, ED

Just being here will help. You might wanna take a look at the Brethren map and see who is in your area.... I take a newer person on my team but I am not in your area.

Proud member of Brethren Weber's for life

(Rescued 7 kettles in 2007, 1 in 2008, 2 in 2009 and 1 in 2010 Three of which I have and 8 that have gone to Brethren. PM me to get on the waiting list)

Weber Kettle Dabomb
Weber Kettle Justintime
Weber Kettle (Yet to be named by Daughter) Evil Twin Suggested!
Weber Kettle Grace
WSM "Winni"
WSM "Dumas"
One Smokey Joe
UDS "Peggy Sue"
http://ashsmoderndayclubhouse.blogspot.com/
Ashmont is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-11-2009, 12:06 PM   #4
mredowling

wheres the brethren map located

Unread 01-11-2009, 12:09 PM   #5
ZILLA
is Blowin Smoke!

Check out the BBQ mentoring thread here http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/fo...c&daysprune=-1

See if you can find a team that will let you visit and work with them.

If, after you do a comp or two you're still interested I'm sure you could find a team to join with as you will meet many new folks that cook. They may know someone who needs a cooking partner or an additional teammate.

Good luck and remember to have fun.

Z
ZILLA is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-11-2009, 01:15 PM   #6
carlharper
Got Wood.

I doubt that you will be able to find a more informative and entertaining description of how a passion for barbecue evolves into forming a successful competition team than here: http://thenewguys.blogspot.com/

George's blog will be an invaluable resource for you or anyone else considering starting or joining a competition barbecue cooking team. This is an extensive chronicle of the formation of "Who are Those Guys?" team in Maryland.

Sit back and allow yourself plenty of time to enjoy it!
carlharper is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-11-2009, 01:34 PM   #7
FatBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

I could definitely use another person on the team since I am the lone solider on the team, if only you did not live 2,700 miles away.

All the brethren and local competitors have been very helpful and usually are happy to share info or anything you may need.

Unread 01-11-2009, 02:00 PM   #8
White Dog BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

One other note -- as long as you are close enough to meet at contests, your teammates don't have to live in the same town. My teammate lives 200 miles away. With modern communication technology, it's easy to coordinate a team spread out over a wide geographic area.

As long as you all arrive at the contest site, that is!

Erik

1x Backwoods Smoker Extended Party
1x 18" WSM
1x Red Weber Performer
1x Weber 22.5" OneTouch Silver
1x Weber Genesis Silver B
White Dog BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-11-2009, 06:28 PM   #9
ZILLA
is Blowin Smoke!

True, I live in San Antonio and my cooking partner lives in Houston. I drive there for comps.
ZILLA is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-11-2009, 06:47 PM   #10
txschutte
Quintessential Chatty Farker

We need another member for my team this year. Clear across two states may not work for you, however, check with SwamprB and JDMcGee. They are in Washington, and may be able to help out.

If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it.

Finally got my dream cooker, Runaround Sue.

Team Whosoever Q

If a man looks lustfully at eggs and bacon, he has already committed breakfast in his heart.
txschutte is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-11-2009, 08:41 PM   #11
mredowling

Thanks for the posts guys!

Unread 01-13-2009, 04:30 PM   #12
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Ed,

The guys have given a lot of good advice.

Use your imagination and it will work.

My former partner was 6hrs away and my current partner is 3.5 hours away.

It all works out if you want it to.

Good luck.

TIM
Now cooking with a Yoder YS640
Proud Pellet guy cooking on real wood.
The_Kapn is offline   Reply With Quote