The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 01-11-2009, 12:01 AM   #1
Woody
Got Wood.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Anyone take the Old vs. New Trigg / Gray BBQ Class?

Looking for general feedback from anyone who has taken this BBQ class. How many folks were in the class? Do you cook or just watch? How do you retain the information, i.e. - take notes yourself, or is there some type of detailed handout. Was there finished BBQ to evaluate? Would it be beneficial for a KCBS comp cook looking for a GC? Any other remarks about the class? Are there other comp BBQ cooking classes that you would highly recommend?

Thanks, and Happy New Year to the BBQ Brethren.

Last edited by Woody; 01-11-2009 at 12:20 AM..
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-11-2009, 12:30 AM   #2
thenewguy
Full Fledged Farker

Curious about this myself. After talking to Rod it is stricktly a "we cook-you watch" atmoshere. But I'm sure there is much to be learned.
thenewguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-11-2009, 06:30 AM   #3
Double D's BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Depending on your level of experience, for us we had cooked, a couple of seasons, this is the class to take. Yes it's hands on but its a complete soup to nuts class. You take notes. They do give you a few handouts detailing all the ingredients they use and also give you a nice goody bag containing samples of most of the sauces and rubs. You'll walk through a complete competititon time table and they will show you everything you do. Its your option whether you want to be there when some of the meats go on the smoker (i.e 4 am) but you'll get as much out of the class as what you put into it. Plus you can ask a ton of questions to two of the best competitors on the circuit and they will gladly answer everything you ask. It's really two classes in one, two different techniques, and competitors that wind up in the winners circle, a lot. And you get to eat everything that is cooked and evaluate the results yourself. I can't remember the exact number in the class. It was very large, I'm thinking over 40 (a lot of that is because you can bring a spouse for an additional $100) and probably closer to 60 with the spouses. There are no bad seats in the classroom. Rod purchase a large mirror that is over the prep area so that everone can see everything he is doing. He'll allow some people to volunteer if they'd like to practice thinkgs like learning to trim chicken (so you can get a little hands on experience there)

We took the class last year in April in Shannon. Prior to that we would get a call or two but we're very inconsistent. Our first comp after the class we got our first ever 1st place (in pork) and we steadily improved and finished the season with 3 Reserves and a 10 ten finish in 7 of the 9 contests we entered. We really improved in our consistency because of this class and finished 62nd in TOY. I'd say those are pretty impressive results.

Good luck to both you guys. In some ways I wish people would not take this class. It just makes the competition out there even tougher!
4. Primo Oval
5. Stumps GF 223
6. FEC 100
7. Backwoods Smoker - Fatboy
8. Traeger Texas Grill (BBQ 075)
Double D's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-11-2009, 08:14 AM   #4
Captain Caveman
is one Smokin' Farker

We will be taking this class Feb. 6th.
2 Hotrod Black "Gravity Feed" clones
Mobile Kitchen
Towable offset
CBJ #24304
KCBS member #24304
Captain Caveman is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-11-2009, 08:49 AM   #5
Nature Boy
Full Fledged Farker

Not taken the class, but I cooked with Rod once years ago and learned a ton. And I've known Johnny for years, and he's a great guy with loads of cooking knowledge (and funnier than hell). Both of these guys are top notch in my book, and the fact that you can get both of their views in one class is hard to beat.

Cheers
Chris

Unread 01-11-2009, 10:42 AM   #6
ov1
On the road to being a farker

This one is definately on my list of classes to take.
ov1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-12-2009, 08:36 AM   #7
kcpellethead
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewguy View Post
Curious about this myself. After talking to Rod it is stricktly a "we cook-you watch" atmoshere. But I'm sure there is much to be learned.
When Johnny and I discussed hosting these classes, we agreed that while it would be a lot of work, it would be a waste of time if folks didn't take away the knowledge to win a contest. Prior to us teaching, I attended cooking classes where the students all cooked on their equipment. What I saw were people doing their own thing, not applying the information they were just taught. They had paid good money to attend, yet were not even practicing the ideas and techniques they were just demonstrated. I envisioned these folks explaining to their friends and family what a waste of time and money "that class" was after they finished about the same at their next contest. We didn't want that. We want folks to take the recipes and ideas from our class and win contests, hopefully not the ones were at, but we'll take that too. There was a post on here about how the instructors of these type classes are in it for the money and only teach about a third of what they know. I can tell you that we teach our exact programs for contest cooking from start to finish, leaving no stone unturned. I can also tell you that having a former student contact us to tell us all about their first ever Grand Champion or category win, is the most rewarding part of what we do. Finally, I can tell you that we've had a ton of those calls and e-mails.

Rod
http://www.pelletenvy.com

If I do everything half ass, how can I be a "full fledged" anything?
kcpellethead is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-12-2009, 12:31 PM   #8
afreemaniii
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Caveman View Post
We will be taking this class Feb. 6th.
Me too Caveman. I'm looking forward to it. I've stopped cooking entirely now to clear my head of all the things I do wrong now and open up more room to learn how to do it right going forward.

Gear:
1-BWS Party
1-22.5" WSM
Guru Pitminder and Stoker system
afreemaniii is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-12-2009, 12:48 PM   #9
Captain Caveman
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by afreemaniii View Post
Me too Caveman. I'm looking forward to it. I've stopped cooking entirely now to clear my head of all the things I do wrong now and open up more room to learn how to do it right going forward.
Great! look forward to meeting you! We (my wife and I) are pretty excited about the class also.
2 Hotrod Black "Gravity Feed" clones
Mobile Kitchen
Towable offset
CBJ #24304
KCBS member #24304
Captain Caveman is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-12-2009, 01:33 PM   #10
Ron_L

Downloads: 1

If you are competing anywhere within about 6 hours of Chicago, I don't recommend this class.

BUT... If you are anywhere else, it is a great class. Both Rod and Johnny do a good job of telling what they do and why they are doing it. Their wives also do a good talking about boxes and presentation.

Unwrap me!
Smoke me!
Eat me!

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser

Remembering a friend
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-12-2009, 02:27 PM   #11
mjl

Great Bend, KS...here I come. I am seriously looking forward to attending this class. I am somewhat less enthralled with the prospect of spending 8+ hours in a vehicle with Mr Freeman, but that is another story.
ML

Unread 01-12-2009, 03:09 PM   #12
Scottie
Babbling Farker

Hey Matt, why didn't you guys go to Shannon? It's a lot closer for you both?

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-12-2009, 03:18 PM   #13
tony76248
is One Chatty Farker

I talked to a guy that has won many GC's and he is gonna take the class. That tells ya something.

There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures.
Right next to the mashed potatoes.

Brinkmann Model 6668 Gasser
Hibachi Grill
Stumps GF223 w/ Stoker assist
ECB that wins the $
Weber One-Touch Gold 22-1/2"
#3 Komono
Large BGE w/ Stoker assist
55 gallon Drum Smoker
Wood Crate Cold smoker w/ smoke injector
No need for certification, I already know good BBQ!
tony76248 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-12-2009, 04:29 PM   #14
mjl

Hey Matt, why didn't you guys go to Shannon? It's a lot closer for you both?

I don't think the Shannon class had been announced when I signed up for Great Bend. Besides, spending a few days in KC, and maybe hitting Smoky D's and Hawgeyes on the way down is a great way to break up the monotony of a Wisconsin winter.

ML

Unread 01-12-2009, 04:45 PM   #15
Coz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjl View Post
Great Bend, KS...here I come. I am seriously looking forward to attending this class. I am somewhat less enthralled with the prospect of spending 8+ hours in a vehicle with Mr Freeman, but that is another story.
ML
I think your underating Mr Freemans ability to keep things ineresting.It could be worse and I could be goingOr even worse yet the dishwasher from hell could be going.....
Stumps Clone " CHRISTINE " ONE Evil Biotch and another in process

BRINGIN' THE HEAT BBQ Team
just Cloning around
Coz is offline   Reply With Quote