Christmas Turkey ..... any info is appreciated

C

charliesarmy

On Christmas I will be smoking my first turkey.... a 15lb'er was the smallest I could find... hopefully that is not too big.... I am looking for any advise... I read through all of the thanksgiving posts and saw lots of advise there and I am looking for some additional input...

I will be using a UDS... and I will be brineing the bird

1. What should my target temps be

2. How long should I brine

3. Approx cook time

4. Wood type

5. Any other advice is appreciated

I posted this somewhere else, but I'll post it here too. I used my large BGE.

I started off with a 17 pound frozen regular grocery store turkey.

1. I brined it overnight with a version of Alton Brown's brine with a few of my own ingredients, mostly herbs.

2. I then injected the breasts with a mixture of butter, onions and herbs that I simmered together for a while, strained and then cooled.

3. Next I mixed more butter, herbs and garlic together and rubbed all over the outside and under the skin.

4. Inside the cavity I added a few rough chopped onion pieces and some whole garlic cloves.

5. Over most the bird I placed a herb infused, butter drenched (getting the theme here?) piece of cheesecloth.
gallery_946_66_63165.jpg

6. 30 minutes prior to going onto the Egg I iced down the breasts with a ice filled one gallon ziploc bag placed on top.
gallery_946_66_121192.jpg

7. I put the turkey in the Egg at 325* with Royal Oak lump and a little hickory and apricot for smoke.

8. After 45 minutes I basted the cheesecloth with more herb butter.
gallery_946_66_129948.jpg

9. After another 45 minutes it got another basting.

10. Once the thigh hit around 145* I pulled the cheesecloth off to get a nice color.
gallery_946_66_139618.jpg

11. I pulled the turkey off the Egg when the thigh hit 162* or so and the breast was slighty higher, maybe 168*.
gallery_946_66_91510.jpg

12. After resting for 30 minutes or so I carved it up. Wow, it was juicy and delicious!
gallery_946_66_27737.jpg

gallery_946_66_59452.jpg

This technique is a keeper. I think next time I'll go with a spicy, buttery turkey by adding some chile peppers to the brine and some hot sauce in the injection.

A admitted newbie here but I have smoked the Thanksgiving turkey for the past 5 years and so at least have some experience.

The overnight brine I use is 2 quarts apple juice - brown sugar - of course Kosher salt - fresh ginger (powder is ok) - 6 or so garlic cloves crushed - juice of 2 oranges with the rinds thrown in then add enough water to submerge.
I make a compound butter log (butter and garlic and herbs of your choice) freeze and then cut in 1/2" thick pieces that I fit under the skin to melt and baste.
I only use apple wood as it works so well.

Cover with foil or cheese cloth if breast starts to get to dark.

Has always turned out fantastic

This may be a dumb question but why do you ice the breast 30 minutes before cooking?

So the breast will get done at the same time as the dark meat and not dry out.

gallery_946_66_91510.jpg

That is one beautiful bird. I hope it tasted as good as it looks...

I agree thats a beautiful roast turkey..
325 is roasting not smoking.. :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, I roasted my turkey over Royal Oak lump with a little hickory chips and a small round of apricot for smoke. It tasted great!

Back