oink
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-23-2008, 09:12 AM   #1
Prisoner
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default $400 Budget, Which Smoker????

Ok, being new here, I came here for advice. I am treating myself by retiring my smoker that is similar to This
(I hope posting he link doesn't violate the rules)

Anyway, I have about $400.00 to spend, so what would you suggest I buy? I am leaning toward the New Braunfels Bandera Smoker from Academy. Or Oklahoma Joe's Wild West Traditions S.E. Smoker

I smoke brisket, ribs, salmon, turkey legs, turkey breast and anything else that I think might taste good.

What would be the advantage of one over the other. I read the Bandera 101 and am not sure I want something that would need to modded so heavily.

Thank you.

Prisoner/Rick

Last edited by Ron_L; 01-22-2009 at 09:23 AM.. Reason: Edited at OP's request
Prisoner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-23-2008, 09:17 AM   #2
BBQ Grail
somebody shut me the fark up.

Are those the only choices?

If it's between those two I'd go with the Bandera. If you are willing to consider other options I'd get the new 22 inch WSM or build a UDS.

The best way to reach me is with email: larry@thebbqgrail.com
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-23-2008, 09:23 AM   #3
Prisoner
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Nope, certainly not the only options. I am here for advice.

(I kind of don't like the top access WSM's. They seem inconvenient)

Thanks.
Prisoner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-23-2008, 09:23 AM   #4
Harbormaster

You are going to get all kinds of info on the Bandera from folks here, but not me.
The Ok Joe's looks like a right handed Brinkman Cimmaron. If it's 3/16 or 1/4 inch steel, that's a good price. However, with a smaller offset like that you will find the temps are uneven across the cooking area, being considerably higher at the firebox. One of the Brethren (Coz) set me up with a batch of 1/4" steel plates that I put in my Cimmaron under the cooking grates and it helps to even out the temp. I also removed the stock baffle between the firebox and cook chamber and attached a different style that directs all of the heat from the firebox under the steel plates. It's a rib machine now.
There is another direction you can go too. With $400 you could get everything you need to build a UDS and buy a WSM. That way you get two very versatile smokers for the price of one.
Good luck on whatever you decide to do.
Merry Christmas.
( DR, DR); 2 Smokey Joes (A, K); Genesis Silver C (DU);
Brinkman Cimmaron; Chuckwagon Cooker; .
"For when democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote"
Harbormaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-23-2008, 09:32 AM   #5
BBQ Grail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prisoner View Post
(I kind of don't like the top access WSM's. They seem inconvenient) Thanks.
This shall be an interesting conversation. Stand-by for some strong opinions. Don't take anything personal...

The WSM and UDS are both top access and loved by millions...

The best way to reach me is with email: larry@thebbqgrail.com
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-23-2008, 09:38 AM   #6
Harbormaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prisoner View Post
(I kind of don't like the top access WSM's. They seem inconvenient)
Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trp1fox View Post
This shall be an interesting conversation. Stand-by for some strong opinions. Don't take anything personal...

The WSM and UDS are both top access and loved by millions...
The top access is not an issue really. It just takes a little thought and advance planning. Though not done to all of mine yet, I used some ceiling tile wire to make handle extensions for the lower cooking grate. Makes it much easier to remove when hot.
Don't discount the advantage of grate over grate cooking. Imagine the tasty goodness you will achieve when you cook butts over brisket. Or butts over Keri C's hog-apple baked beans. No way to duplicate these on an offset.
For me, the biggest advantage is once you get a WSM up to temp, it's pretty much hands-off cooking.
Prisoner, I love all of my cookers, and wouldn't get rid of any of them. Each serves a purpose in my arsenal.

Old 12-23-2008, 10:15 AM   #7
ComputerMike
Take a breath!

I would get the new 22" WSM and build a UDS. I have zero experience with a stick burner.

Old 12-23-2008, 10:42 AM   #8
jrb03
Full Fledged Farker

Dont knock the WSM until you try it. No better cooker for the $. Although, I firmly believe you need to experience one of the mass manufactured department store offset smokers to fully appreciate the WSM's greatness.

Pitmaker Vault
Pitmaker Grill-Meister

Backwoods Party
Backwoods Chubby

Weber Performer
WSM
Weber Smokey Joe Gold

Good Riddence
Peppercookers Trailer Offset
Chargriller Tailgate Grill
jrb03 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-23-2008, 11:04 AM   #9
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

if you want a stickburner, and THATS IS TRULY A NEW BRAUNFELS BANDERA, DONT PASS IT UP!!!. NB bandera are far and few between. Forgo the horizontal and get the vertical. More even temps, larger capacity, more versatile, and more useable cooking space. It will teach you fire management, uses charcoal or all wood, and once u get used to it, you will talk to it likes its your best girl.

But its apples and oranges comparing it to the WSM. The WSM is a cooking machine.... that u dial in and go away. (I have 3.) it will chug for 12 hours nearly unattended and it performs consistent each time. But the capacity is no where near the banderas and like i said, its a different machine, filling a different niche. U want to be a stickburner.. starting with a bandera is a great start.

For 50 bucks over budget, u can get both. Start with a bandera, save the extra 150, and in a few months or a year, throw in another 50 bucks and get a WSM for those overnight briskets and u dont want to get up every hours or 2.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-23-2008, 11:12 AM   #10
Harbormaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33 View Post
For 50 bucks over budget, u can get both. Start with a bandera, save the extra 150, and in a few months or a year, throw in another 50 bucks and get a WSM for those overnight briskets and u dont want to get up every hours or 2.
The Poobah is wise.

Old 12-23-2008, 11:18 AM   #11
Dr_KY
Quintessential Chatty Farker

ProQ XL. for easy access if considering a WSM.

Slappin that bass like some delerious funky preist!!!

UDS, Half Pint (Mini UDS), Weber, ProQ 20, Kegrilla
*250 gallon cooker- 'The Meat Beast!!'*

British BBQ Championships
Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
British BBQ Society - Southern Championship
Grand Champions 2009

Last edited by Dr_KY; 12-23-2008 at 11:38 AM..
Dr_KY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-23-2008, 11:19 AM   #12
bigmeatbbq
On the road to being a farker

Build a UDS and pocket the remaining $350.00.

Char-griller Smokin Pro;Mutant homemade Off-set smoker;WSM;RFUDS(Real-Farking-Ugly-Drum-Smoker).

"All we're really doing is making cheap meat taste expensive."-Ted, Black Kettle BBQ

"Anyplace is within walking distance,if you have the time." -- Steven Wright
bigmeatbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-23-2008, 11:19 AM   #13
ricksegers
Full Fledged Farker

Like Harbormaster said..That is why he is the Great, and Grand Poobah

Old 12-23-2008, 11:25 AM   #14
Jorge

A WSM will allow you to sleep. With either of the units from Academy you will be up tending the fire. The Bandera will give you more capacity than the WSM or horizontal you've looked at. It all depends on what's important to you.

BOOGITY, BOOGITY, BOOGITY!!!

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-23-2008, 11:27 AM   #15
Barbarian
is One Chatty Farker

Prisoner, you asked for opinions so here is mine and I am prejudiced.

To start with, to me it depends on how much fire tending you like to do. Offsets take alot of tending while a WSM or UDS does not.

On the top access on a WSM, I have an old WSM and tend to agree that it's small diameter was a bit of a pain to me, just MHO. So the new WSM should be much better on that front.

The UDS is big enough that getting to the meat is not a problem even when your cooking on two racks.

Building your own smoker and or grill is also great fun. For less then $200 you can build a UDS and a UDG(rill) and spend the other $200 on something else fun like a Red Thermapen, Thirdeye's grill lifter, Maverick ET remote thermometer or whatever suits your fancy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02533.jpg (88.2 KB, 391 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02756.jpg (57.3 KB, 388 views)

Drumhead - UDS x 2 & UDG
Thermopen
Keep on Smokin'
KC native missin' KC
IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller 2009
I also support PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals
Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote