MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Road Trips

Notices

Brethren Road Trips The travel logs of our members. Q- joints, restaurants, entertainment, reviews while we travel around the 50 states. Also, Post here for a shout out to members to meet up with while on the road.

Old 12-07-2008, 09:37 AM   #1
motoeric
Babbling Farker

Default LI: Rib City (Port Jefferson)

Has anyone been there? Its about a mile from the ferry. I think the full name is 'Rib City Ale House'.

Eric

A BBQ Brethren Publication
2 Thessalonians 2:15
Exodus 12:9
motoeric is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2008, 10:07 AM   #2
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Is it open yet?
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 10:36 AM   #3
rbsnwngs
is One Chatty Farker

it opened Friday night

WILLIE PALOOOOZA 2017 Will Happen
http://williepallooza.blogspot.com/
www.williebsbbq.com
38th IS ALMOST LIKE WINNING
rbsnwngs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 11:15 AM   #4
Westexbbq
somebody shut me the fark up.

Yawn.
Texas International Pop Festival, Labor Day 1969.
IMBAS Certified.
Just roll me up and smoke me when I die.
Always remember, no matter where ya go,
there you are.
I wanna tell you 'bout Texas radio and the big beat.
Someday, I hope to visit Penelope.
Hondo Crouch, Famous Late Mayor of Lunkenbach, Texas who advocated a 'dillo diet: "You can eat nothing but armadillos for a month, but you will have to run down and catch all the armadillos you eat and it can really take the weight off!"

Westexbbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 04:54 AM   #5
Pigtrip
Knows what a fatty is.

Any address/phone info?

I did a Google search and can't find an address or any info other than a generic YouTube video listing a Rib City Ale House menu with an "Our City, Your City" label, as if they plan on franchising all over the US.
1 Weber kettle grill
2 Weber Smoky Mountain Cookers (bullet)
1 Big Green Egg (large)
Pigtrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 06:31 AM   #6
rbsnwngs
is One Chatty Farker

they do plan on franchising on LI

on another note there is a place opening up on main street in Islip called Island BBQ and Grille when i have more details i'll post them

www.williebsbbq.com
Old 12-10-2008, 03:08 PM   #7
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Rib City Alehouse
650 Route 112
Port Jefferson, NY
(631) 403-4323
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]

Last edited by Sledneck; 02-27-2009 at 09:47 AM..
Old 12-11-2008, 07:27 AM   #8
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Rib city menu & specials menu

Last edited by Sledneck; 02-27-2009 at 09:47 AM..
Old 12-11-2008, 07:40 AM   #9
timzcardz
Babbling Farker

With $3.75 pints of Guiness, I could get to like this place!
Weber Genesis Silver x 2
Weber One Touch Gold
Weber Performer x 2
Weber Smokey Joe
Bottle of Absolut
Bottle of Beer
Everything Ripken, "Cards and Que. One tastes of cardboard, the other sweet blue." ©
timzcardz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 09:03 AM   #10
Westexbbq

What kind of cooker do they use?
A pre-owned Southern Pride?
IMBAS Certified.
there you are.
Hondo Crouch, Famous Late Mayor of Lunkenbach, Texas who advocated a 'dillo diet: "You can eat nothing but armadillos for a month, but you will have to run down and catch all the armadillos you eat and it can really take the weight off!"

Old 12-11-2008, 09:04 AM   #11
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westexbbq View Post
Rumor has it
Old 12-12-2008, 07:19 AM   #12
rbsnwngs
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
they said i can vist her anytime i'd like

www.williebsbbq.com
Old 03-16-2009, 03:54 PM   #13
MAsQue
is One Chatty Farker

A little background in the interest of full disclosure: A friend of mine had eaten at the Rib City Ale House last week. One of the owners had come to her table to ask how things were, to which she replied that her friend (me) made better BBQ than he was selling. She mentioned that I catered and he asked if I was interested in doing his catering. I have been looking for a kitchen to work out of, so I decided I would take his remark at face value (i.e., he's not just bs-ing a pretty girl) and stop by to check the place out and maybe talk to the man. When my friend, my girlfriend and I got there he'd gone home, but we decided to stay for dinner. I'm still looking for a kitchen to work out of if any LI Brethren knows of one.

To the review: We tried the soup of the day, which was a creamy potato with chopped bacon and cheddar cheese on top. Very rich and good. Think New England chowder with no clams. Possibly the high point of the meal.

We also tried the fried okra with ranch dressing. It wasn't bad, and a lot less "stringy" than some fried okra I've had, but my guess is that it was bought blanched, breaded and frozen and just fried on the premises. It had that "too uniform" look of a store bought product.

The Skyscraper Onion Strings was a large mound of battered fried onions which was on the menu as coming with bbq sauce, but which arrived with ranch dressing. No problem to me, as I like ranch dressing. The onions themselves looked to have been pressed into the point of a chinois to form them into a volcano-like shape, and then inverted into the serving dish. This was a lot of onions, more than the three of us could finish. Problem was, they weren't crisp, more like greasy. The flavor was OK, but the grease and the texture left much to be desired. In their defense, I was expecting something like the onion rings at the Good Steer, which is a high standard to hold.

Liz and I ordered the Feast for Two, which comes with pork, beef, ribs and chicken and four sides. This was the major disappointment of the night. The pork seemed to have come from a roast loin or some similarly lean piece of meat. It wasn't pulled, but was sliced paper thin. It was dry as old sin. It had very little smoke flavor. Not acceptable as roast pork much less bbq. It did, however, meet its match in the beef. I was expecting brisket, but got eye round. It was every bit as dry as the pork and sliced just as thin. It, too, lacked smoke flavor; indeed, it lacked beef flavor. The lack of smokiness extended to the ribs, although they were moist and had a good tenderness/texture. Friend Mary commented that they also lacked the "porky" flavor that my ribs have. The sauce partially redeemed things, as it was a nice mix of tart and sweet. The chicken came basted in the same sauce and was basically OK, too. The sides (fries, sweet potato, creamed spinach) were also OK, if not notable, but the corn on the cob was possibly the worst piece of corn I have ever eaten. Mushy, watery and tastless all at once.

We passed on desert or coffee.

I will admit that we were delayed and got to the restaurant around 8:45 on a Sunday night, not necessarily the best time for dining out, but if a restaurant is not prepared to serve, they shouldn't stay open.

The service was good, and our waitress, Joyce, was very pleasant, but she was fighting an uphill battle against the food.

Ma's 'Que Crew BBQ Team
Ma's BBQ and Catering
"Texas BBQ" propane tank stick burner
Brinkman Cimmaron
CBJ #6502
MAsQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 06:44 PM   #14
Westexbbq

Thanks for the update Brian,
saved me a trip.
I can get a pint of Guinness locally;
better yet at home tomorrow night.

(Maybe they need some lessons on how to use the cooker?)
IMBAS Certified.
there you are.

Old 03-17-2009, 09:22 AM   #15
rbsnwngs
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Thanks for the update Brian,
saved me a trip.
I can get a pint of Guinness locally;
better yet at home tomorrow night.

(Maybe they need some lessons on how to use the cooker?)
The lesson on the cooker was the easy part it was trying to convince them that premade rub and doctered sauce was not the way to go. Then I found out about the pork loin and Beef eye round they were going to use as BBQ and thru my hands up at that point.

www.williebsbbq.com