ಚಿಕನ್
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 12-01-2008, 09:33 AM   #1
koloa
Got Wood.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default bge owners, need some help/suggestions/etc...

hi,
i did my first cook on my small green egg last night and cooked up 2 talipia fishes.

my first question...
i added some lump directly into the egg, lit a few spots with the mapp torch, closed the lid, opened all vents, and waited till the temps hit 350 before adding the fish. how can i get the temps to go higher? with vents all open, it seemed the temps wouldnt increase. do i need more lump? should i have waited till all the lump was burning? luckily i decided to cook fish for my first as suppose to a nice cowboy ribeye.

second...
whats the best way to cook up whole fish with keeping the skin on? the crispy skin is awesome! i am using the bge cast iron grill. im thinking to use skewers and putting a pair of small bricks and balance the fish on there so no skin is in contact with the grate.

thanks all
koloa is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-01-2008, 10:37 AM   #2
YankeeBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

If you were using the daisy wheel on top then take it off the cooker completely you'll get higher temps.

This post is my opinion and mine alone, not necessarily that of the KCBS, it's board of directors or office nor that of Peter Pan, Tinkerbell and certainly not Rush Limbaugh.
YankeeBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-01-2008, 11:43 AM   #3
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Was the lump dry? I have found that, once a bag is opened, the lump can absorb quite a bit of moisture from the air causing the problem you describe.

I have a Medium BGE, and I have never had any problem getting up to much higher temperatures than you are looking for as long as the lump was dry.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-01-2008, 12:19 PM   #4
LMAJ

Make sure you have good air flow through the holes in the bottom plate. Get yourself a wiggle rod....
1 Large BGE and table - 8/29/12
1 18.5 new to me WSM
Super Fast BLUE and RED Thermapen
1 - The Great Outdoors Smoker Sea Bug cooker
1 - Fantastic hubby - the original Big Al

Unread 12-01-2008, 12:32 PM   #5
thillin

Like mentioned above, take the daisy wheel completely off and make sure the coal grate holes are not clogged. Make sure you fill lump to the top of the firebox. For higher temp, light the lump in 4 or 5 spots.
Mini BGE-adopted 1/31/08 CL Score
Traeger 075-adopted 12/3/11 CL Score
Weber 1 touch CL Score
Weber Spirit 500 CL Score
Weber Smokey Joe Silver CL Score
BLUE & RED Thermapens
Klose 20x42-SOLD

Paddlin Pigs BBQ
Ty
thillin is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-01-2008, 12:33 PM   #6
Nature Boy
Full Fledged Farker

Howdy Koloa
Not being able to get above 350 is probably either a sign of not enough airflow (clogged grate holes or too much ash in the lump pile) or not enough charcoal.

I like fish cooked direct over the coals, and you should be able to get crisp skin that way. Once you get your egg to 400, that might be a nice temp to try. I use the regular (not the cast iron) grate for fish. Key being to wait until the fish releases itself before you flip or move.

Hope it helps. Happy cookin!
Chris
Nature Boy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-01-2008, 12:36 PM   #7
jbrink01
is Blowin Smoke!

If mine won't go up to the 600 range, it's usually in need of a cleaning. I light a starter chimney, add to the lump that's in the BGE and wait 20 minutes, everything wide open = Rocket Hot!
[CENTER][B][I][B]KCBS #13207[/B][/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]2013 Insane Can Posse [/I][I]Tour [/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][I]Sponsored By: [/I][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Gateway BBQ Store[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Blues Hog BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Plowboys BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
jbrink01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-01-2008, 12:53 PM   #8
koloa
Got Wood.

thanks all,
ill try to add more lump and light lump in more places tonight for when i do wings. for a faster heat up time, could i just keep the lid open?

question, i am a bit paranoid when it comes to gas/fire...i am using a small mapp torch to light the lump. i read in the directions that it says to keep the torch upright when using, however, when lighting the lump, the torch is pretty much tilted near upside down. is that dangerous?
koloa is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-01-2008, 01:22 PM   #9
Nature Boy
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by koloa View Post
thanks all,
ill try to add more lump and light lump in more places tonight for when i do wings. for a faster heat up time, could i just keep the lid open?

question, i am a bit paranoid when it comes to gas/fire...i am using a small mapp torch to light the lump. i read in the directions that it says to keep the torch upright when using, however, when lighting the lump, the torch is pretty much tilted near upside down. is that dangerous?

Closing the lid will actually get you up to temp faster. Mapp torches work well upside down. No worries, though those fire starter cubes work like a charm so long as you don't smother them.

Have fun!
Chris
Nature Boy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-01-2008, 07:49 PM   #10
Rick's Tropical Delight
** Permanent Timeout **

if you haven't found this website yet, go to the link below and read every single page...

the naked whiz's ceramic cooker page

you should have no problem getting the small egg up to over 600 with no small pieces of lump, only medium and large pieces
Rick's Tropical Delight is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-01-2008, 08:06 PM   #11
JD McGee

Another trick I picked up somewhere is to sort my lump. If I'm going for a hot fire I put the bigger lumps on the bottom at least past the air holes...works great for steaks! I also use a weed burner and fire up the lump all over for a good 2-3 minutes.

Here I'm using it to fire up my UDS...but you get the idea...

We cook on MAK Grills, WSM's, & BPS Drums.
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote