The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 03-09-2010, 04:47 PM   #1
fattdaddy
Found some matches.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default UDS Help

I recently completed building my UDS and have a couple of questions for the experts.
When lighting your charcoal basket, is there a good, better best method to do this. I have heard that you need to put your hot coals in the middle of your charcoal basket to be able to regulate your temps. Is this the best way or is there bome other way that would be better?
Also when cooking chicken I usually do half chickens for comps; any suggestions as to the best way to get my temps at 325 - 345 and keep them consistant. If anyone has any pics of 1/2 chickens cooked on their UDS I would like to see them.
As always
Thanks
fattdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-09-2010, 04:54 PM   #2
devious
is one Smokin' Farker

when i light my lump. i light about a 1/4 of a basket in my chimney and i dump it on one side of my basket and let it burn from left to right. As far as keeping your temp, you'll have to play with that and see how your drum works.

Unread 03-09-2010, 05:32 PM   #3
keale
Babbling Farker

I do a "mini" Minion method....ala coffee can...
Light a chimmney full... Place your empty can in the basket, put coals and wood around can...pour chimmney in coffee can, (burn finger and arm hairs)...pull can out with tongs...
this is done on the The "Brethren WSM" but same thing...
Weber Performer (169.00/brand new mod.)
Weber Handles from www.amlwoodart.com
UDS
22.5" Weber kettle, (refuse collector mod.)
18" Weber kettle (almost new craigslist $20 mod)

"crest of a breaking wave" thats my name...
keale is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-09-2010, 06:50 PM   #4
sdb25
is one Smokin' Farker

After trying a million different methods, I now just light 10-15 briquets and add them to the charcoal basket when they are ashed over. I just dump them on the top and spread 'em around about evenly. I've done the coffee can method, and didn't notice any difference (so I save myself the trouble). You will get variation on temp and smoke volume depending on your mix of briquets/lump to chunk hardwood. This is mostly a personal preference, so you'll have to experiment. For temps to 350, you are likely to need more intakes or a blower fan positioned over one intake.

Unread 03-09-2010, 07:13 PM   #5
Paul B
is one Smokin' Farker

Me, I usually just weed burn the top of the pile of charcoal for about a minute or so. Lower basket in drum and watch the temps come up to where I want them. Exhaust full open as usual and adjust the BGE intake as needed for temp.

If I don't weed burn I lite about 8 coals and place on top and do the same as above.

Works for me....

Paul B
SS UDS
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-09-2010, 09:50 PM   #6
fattdaddy
Found some matches.

Thanks for all the input.
fattdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote