The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 11-21-2008, 10:39 AM   #1
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 1
Default Italian Beef recipes?

This summer my sister married a guy who hailed from Chicago. He catered in from some Chicago joint this stuff called Italian Beef. It was farking AWESOME!

Luckily he ordered too much for the pre-wedding day dinner, so we all got sent home with a few cryovacs sent from the restaurant, and I enjoyed some more since then. Unfortunately, I JUST RAN OUT!!!!

This stuff was a type of sliced beef in a spicy broth, served on hoagie rolls with a topping called jardin (spelling?). If anyone has a recipe for both the Italian Beef and the Jardin, it would be greatly appreciated!
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the BBQ Brethren Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club member
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-21-2008, 10:44 AM   #2
Jorge

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

RonL has a recipe on here somewhere that I like. I'm sure the rest of the Chicago Mafia will chime in soon.

BOOGITY, BOOGITY, BOOGITY!!!

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-21-2008, 10:51 AM   #3
Against The Grain
Full Fledged Farker

Chicago Style Italian Beef
Ingredients:
1 rump roast, rolled
flour
shortening
6 cups water, divided
4 beef bouillon cubes
1 tablespoon oregano
2 teaspoons garlic salt
1 teaspoon paprika
2/3 cup reserved broth
6 tiny hot peppers
2 bay leaves
pepper
bay leaves
sliced French bread

Directions:
Coat the roast with flour and brown in a Dutch oven or similar pan in a little shortening on top
of the stove. After browned on all sides, drain off the grease and add 3 cups of water.
Cover and simmer for 1 hour. Put it in a crock pot and let it simmer all day.
Remove from liquid and cool meat completely, reserving liquid.

After meat is completely cooled, slice thinly with an electric knife. Bring remaining
ingredients (except bread) to a boil and sliced beef. Simmer for 1 hour.
Remove peppers and bay leaves.
Serve on sliced French bread. Add a little broth to the bread as well.
(In Chicago, they serve it really soaked. ) Serve with pepperocini peppers or sautéed red
and green bell peppers.

Member Lighthouse Charity Team
Elks Lodge 126
Against The Grain is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-21-2008, 10:52 AM   #4
Kevin
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I like Ronnelle's:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...24&postcount=1
I want to try Neil's but have not yet:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...4&postcount=30

Unread 11-21-2008, 10:53 AM   #5
Against The Grain
Full Fledged Farker

Another, I worked there for about 10 days and got hooked on it.

Chicago-style Italian Beef Sandwiches
4 to 4 1/2 lbs. beef bottom round roast
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 t. salt
1/4 t. freshly ground black pepper
4 large green bell peppers
2 large red peppers
1 T. instant beef bouillon granules
1 t. Italian seasoning, crushed
1/2 t. dried oregano leaves, crushed
1/2 t. red pepper pods, crushed
1/4 C. water
12 (6-inch) slices crusty Italian or French bread, split
Combine garlic, salt and pepper. Rub mixture evenly over the surface of the roast. Place roast, fat side up, on shallow roasting pan. Insert a meat thermometer into thickest part of roast, not touching fat. Do not add water and do not cover. Roast in 300°F. oven until meat thermometer registers 135°F. approximately 20 to 25 minutes per pound.
Remove roast to large warm platter. Cover with aluminum foil tent and allow to stand 15 minutes. Meanwhile pour drippings into 1 cup measure. Skim and discard fat from drippings; reserve. Cover and refrigerate roast until chilled. Meanwhile place bell and red peppers on rack in broiler pan so surface of peppers is 3 to 4 inches from heat. Bring 10 to 15 minutes or until skins blister, turning occasionally. Place peppers in paper bag; close bag and let stand 10 to 15 minutes.
Remove and discard loosened skin and seeds from bell peppers. Cut into 3/4-inch strips; reserve. Add water to drippings to equal 5 cups; pour into Dutch oven or large saucepan. Stir in bouillon granules, Italian seasoning, oregano and pepper pods. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 10 minutes. Meanwhile trim excess fat from chilled roast; carve roast across the grain into very thin slices or slice with meat slicer. Add sliced beef to seasoned liquid; cover and heat through. (Do not overcook.) Place equal amounts beef on bread slice bottoms; top with some of seasoned au jus and equal amount bell pepper strips. Close sandwiches with bread tops.
Serves 12.

Member Lighthouse Charity Team
Elks Lodge 126
Against The Grain is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-21-2008, 10:54 AM   #6
Jorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
I'd forgotten about Neil's! Another winner!

Shut up, and cook!!!!

Unread 11-21-2008, 11:09 AM   #7
Stoke&Smoke
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabyte View Post
This summer my sister married a guy who hailed from Chicago. He catered in from some Chicago joint this stuff called Italian Beef. It was farking AWESOME!

Luckily he ordered too much for the pre-wedding day dinner, so we all got sent home with a few cryovacs sent from the restaurant, and I enjoyed some more since then. Unfortunately, I JUST RAN OUT!!!!

This stuff was a type of sliced beef in a spicy broth, served on hoagie rolls with a topping called jardin (spelling?). If anyone has a recipe for both the Italian Beef and the Jardin, it would be greatly appreciated!
Giardinara is a (usually) spicy pepper relish. Here's one recipe...Looks like there are plenty here for the beef part! You could also order from these links....

http://www.buona.com/nationwide.html

https://www.viennabeefstore.com/index.php?

Chicago Style Giardinara
INGREDIENTS
  • 2 green bell peppers, diced
  • 2 red bell peppers, diced
  • 8 fresh jalapeno peppers, sliced
  • 1 celery stalk, diced
  • 1 medium carrot, diced
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 1/2 cup fresh cauliflower florets
  • 1/2 cup salt
  • water to cover
  • 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
  • 1 tablespoon dried oregano
  • 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 (5 ounce) jar pimento-stuffed green olives, chopped
  • 1 cup white vinegar
  • 1 cup olive oil

DIRECTIONS
  1. Place into a bowl the green and red peppers, jalapenos, celery, carrots, onion, and cauliflower. Stir in salt, and fill with enough cold water to cover. Place plastic wrap or aluminum foil over the bowl, and refrigerate overnight.
  2. The next day, drain salty water, and rinse vegetables. In a bowl, mix together garlic, oregano, red pepper flakes, black pepper, and olives. Pour in vinegar and olive oil, and mix well. Combine with vegetable mixture, cover, and refrigerate for 2 days before using.
KCBS CJ/TC #17139 Member ILBBQS
Too many cookers to list
Stoke&Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-21-2008, 11:17 AM   #8
Bride of Roo(BQ'n)
is one Smokin' Farker

We usually use left over roast and apply the spices to broth and start late with that. We can also find the Giardinara in the pickle aisle of most groceries up here, just had them Monday night.... Not quite as good as Chicago but good enough for left overs.

Corduroy Pillows are Making Headlines

Operation BBQ for our Troops- Midwest Division
www.operationbbqmw.org
Bride of Roo(BQ'n) is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-21-2008, 11:21 AM   #9
Jorge

I'm hating this thread! I can't find a good beef around here, and don't have time to make them today....but I'm craving one right now!

Shut up, and cook!!!!

Unread 11-21-2008, 11:29 AM   #10
drbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Those all look good but I don't think they'll be like the beefs you'll find in the joints in Chicago. I think people make the mistake of adding beef stock. Then it becomes a good roast beef sandwich, but not a Chicago Italian Beef. Here's a recipe that I did for The NFL Gameday Cookbook and I think it's very authentic.

Italian Beef Sandwiches
From The NFL Gameday Cookbbok by Ray Lampe
Chronicle Books 2008
In Chicago, this is the food of the neighborhoods. Yeah we eat plenty of hot dogs too, but Italian Beef is the most popular sandwich in the Windy City.

Rub
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon granulated garlic

One 4-pound sirloin tip or bottom round roast

Gravy
1 1/4 cups water
cup olive oil
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tablespoon dried oregano
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon black pepper

10 crusty French Rolls
Chicago-Style Sweet Peppers (recipe below)
Giardiniera, as needed (available at most grocery stores near the pickles)

Preheat the oven to 450F. Combine the rub ingredients and sprinkle them all over the roast. Place the roast on a rack in a small roasting pan, and roast for 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, combine the gravy ingredients in a medium bowl and mix well. After 30 minutes, turn the oven down to 350F. Remove the roasting pan from the oven. Slowly pour the gravy into the bottom of the pan. Cover and return it to the oven for 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until the meat reaches an internal temperature of 150F. Remove it from the oven, uncover, and let cool for 30 minutes. Wrap the roast in foil and refrigerate it for at least 4 hours but preferably overnight. Transfer the gravy to a bowl, being sure to get any stuck stuff from the bottom of the pan. At this point you should have 2 cups of gravy. If youre short, add enough water to make 2 cups. Cover and refrigerate with the beef.

The next day, take the meat out of the refrigerator and slice it as thinly as possible. Slicing it while cold will help. This is a very important part of the recipe. If you can use an electric slicer, that would be the best, as you want it very thin. If not, get your best sharp knife and take your time slicing it as thinly as you possibly can. The authentic Chicago Italian Beef is sliced paper thin and that is key to its taste.

Now preheat the oven to 350F. Add the beef and the gravy to a roasting pan or an oven-safe Dutch oven. Toss well to coat all of the beef with gravy. Cover and cook in the oven for 20 minutes. Uncover and toss the meat to coat again. Cover and cook for another 20 minutes. Layer the meat on crusty French rolls with Chicago-Style Sweet Peppers (recipe below) and spicy hot giardiniera.

Makes about 10 sandwiches

Chicago-Style Sweet Peppers
This one is pretty simple, but its the perfect complement to the Italian beef.

cup olive oil
2 green bell peppers, thickly sliced from top to bottom (not in rings)
1 red bell pepper, thickly sliced from top to bottom (not in rings)

Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the peppers and cook for about 5 minutes, or just until soft. Transfer the peppers and oil to a bowl and serve at room temperature with the beef.

Makes 2 cups
drbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-21-2008, 11:40 AM   #11
TysDad
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks all for the recipes!!!! I have to be careful because my wife is from Palatine, IL and if it's not exactly right I hear about it!

[FONT=Times New Roman]Stainless Pool Filter Drum, BarBChef offset, charcoal GOSM, a gasser and a weed burner.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]Henckels Twin Cuisine knives, CDN ProAccurate fast thermometer, Maverick Dual Probe Wireless thermometer, and lots more cooking tools.[/FONT]

"We keep you alive to serve this ship. Row well, and live."
TysDad is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-21-2008, 11:45 AM   #12
Jorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbbq View Post
Those all look good but I don't think they'll be like the beefs you'll find in the joints in Chicago. I think people make the mistake of adding beef stock. Then it becomes a good roast beef sandwich, but not a Chicago Italian Beef. Here's a recipe that I did for The NFL Gameday Cookbook and I think it's very authentic.

Italian Beef Sandwiches
From The NFL Gameday Cookbbok by Ray Lampe
Chronicle Books 2008
In Chicago, this is the food of the neighborhoods. Yeah we eat plenty of hot dogs too, but Italian Beef is the most popular sandwich in the Windy City.

Rub
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon granulated garlic

One 4-pound sirloin tip or bottom round roast

Gravy
1 1/4 cups water
cup olive oil
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tablespoon dried oregano
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon black pepper

10 crusty French Rolls
Chicago-Style Sweet Peppers (recipe below)
Giardiniera, as needed (available at most grocery stores near the pickles)

Preheat the oven to 450F. Combine the rub ingredients and sprinkle them all over the roast. Place the roast on a rack in a small roasting pan, and roast for 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, combine the gravy ingredients in a medium bowl and mix well. After 30 minutes, turn the oven down to 350F. Remove the roasting pan from the oven. Slowly pour the gravy into the bottom of the pan. Cover and return it to the oven for 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until the meat reaches an internal temperature of 150F. Remove it from the oven, uncover, and let cool for 30 minutes. Wrap the roast in foil and refrigerate it for at least 4 hours but preferably overnight. Transfer the gravy to a bowl, being sure to get any stuck stuff from the bottom of the pan. At this point you should have 2 cups of gravy. If youre short, add enough water to make 2 cups. Cover and refrigerate with the beef.

The next day, take the meat out of the refrigerator and slice it as thinly as possible. Slicing it while cold will help. This is a very important part of the recipe. If you can use an electric slicer, that would be the best, as you want it very thin. If not, get your best sharp knife and take your time slicing it as thinly as you possibly can. The authentic Chicago Italian Beef is sliced paper thin and that is key to its taste.

Now preheat the oven to 350F. Add the beef and the gravy to a roasting pan or an oven-safe Dutch oven. Toss well to coat all of the beef with gravy. Cover and cook in the oven for 20 minutes. Uncover and toss the meat to coat again. Cover and cook for another 20 minutes. Layer the meat on crusty French rolls with Chicago-Style Sweet Peppers (recipe below) and spicy hot giardiniera.

Makes about 10 sandwiches

Chicago-Style Sweet Peppers
This one is pretty simple, but its the perfect complement to the Italian beef.

cup olive oil
2 green bell peppers, thickly sliced from top to bottom (not in rings)
1 red bell pepper, thickly sliced from top to bottom (not in rings)

Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the peppers and cook for about 5 minutes, or just until soft. Transfer the peppers and oil to a bowl and serve at room temperature with the beef.

Makes 2 cups
I used to like you Ray

Shut up, and cook!!!!

Unread 11-21-2008, 01:17 PM   #13
SmokeInDaEye
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbbq View Post
You have a cookbook? I'm going to have to try this during my time off next week.
Gen II Komodo Kamado, Pit Barrel Cooker, 3x 18.5" WSMs, 22.5" WSM, modified 18.5" Weber Kettle, 22.5" Weber Kettle circa 1960ish, Weber One Touch Platinum, copper Weber Smokey Joe, La Caja China, Bubba Keg, Bodom Picnic Grill, Weber Genesis
SmokeInDaEye is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-21-2008, 01:22 PM   #14
Ron_L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
I'm hating this thread! I can't find a good beef around here, and don't have time to make them today....but I'm craving one right now!
That's a shame. I'm having a hard time deciding which beef place to stop at on the way home tonight

While I like the recipe that I posted a while ago (Thanks for the link, Kevin!), Ray's recipe is more authentic and I like it better.

Unwrap me!
Smoke me!
Eat me!

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser

Remembering a friend
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-21-2008, 01:53 PM   #15
bigabyte

Uploads: 1

Wow! Ask the Brethren and ye shall receive! Thank you everyone! These recipes look incredible. I think I'm gonna start with the good Dr's recipe, especially after Rons recommendation. I just have to remember to make a lot and vacu-suck the rest!

I asked my BIL about the gardineira and he said I shoudl be able to find it at the store. I figured he was too used to living in the Windy City. I guess not. Time to go to the store.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the BBQ Brethren Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club member
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote