The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Road Trips

Notices

Brethren Road Trips The travel logs of our members. Q- joints, restaurants, entertainment, reviews while we travel around the 50 states. Also, Post here for a shout out to members to meet up with while on the road.

Old 11-15-2008, 03:46 PM   #1
BigBarry
is One Chatty Farker

Default Long Island - Bobbique's

We went there last night to see the Gas House Gorillas. They played Westport last Sept. and Trish loved them. We bought the cd!

Now a review:

Great looking place - well laid out. One long bar and TONS of beers and bourbons. Cask conditioned, belgians, local, etc.

Lots of seats and tables. Small but functonal stage.

I met the owner, Eric, and he gave me a tour once the dinner rush slowed. They were packed! He's got an Southern Pride 700 and he says he could use two!

Eric knows BBQ. He spent time in Memphis working in a number of BBQ joints for a few weeks and then headed out across the country to get a broad sense of techniques and tastes.

We ordered Ribs, Pulled Pork, Brisket (chopped and sliced), smoked beans, and potato salad.

Brisket: Got a sliced sandwich (I thought I ordered chopped) and the gave me a side plate of chopped at my request. Sliced was thin (probably done on a slicer) and tasty. Good, big bun. Sliced pulled apart nicely. Sauce was mild and tasty. Chopped was cut into tiny cubes and a bit over sauced. Kind of like burnt ends but smaller and not as burnt. Sauce was a bit too tangy. I would skip them next time and just get the sliced.

Pulled Pork: Tasty. A bit over pulled and slightly mushy but not a negative. I prefer bigger pulls but it was good. Sauced properly. Would order again.

Ribs: St. Louis cut, well trimmed. Good smoke ring, 1/4 inch pull back on the bone end, pulled off the bone properly, minimal sauce. They were finished/reheated on the grill and had a bit of a grilled taste but they were very good. I would order again.

Beans: Really good. Tangy and smoky with bacon.

Potato Salad: Red potatoes, a bit over mayoed. Would order again.

Over all, we had a great time, service was good and the food was very good. We will return.
Webers: Smokey Mountains (2 18.5" and a 22.5") - Performer 22" Silver - Go AnyWhere Charcoal - Smokey Joe Platinum - Craigslist Silver Gasser
BBQ - Bring Beer Quick!
In the Land of the Pig, the Butcher is King!
BigBarry is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2008, 05:22 PM   #2
Frank Sacco
is One Chatty Farker

Greg,
I feel the opposite from you. I didn't care for the BBQ. It lacks smoke flavor and was smothered in sauce however like you said the beer/bar menu is outstanding. Eric may have improved his cooking since my visit a year ago... I was far from impressed. First impressions are lasting impressions.

Erics Bio:

Eric Rifkin, Executive Chef and Owner of BobbiQue, has always had an interest in food as he grew up in a household that appreciated a good meal. During his summer vacations in the Hamptons and the Catskills, Rifkin worked for various restaurants and hotels. He graduated from Johnson & Wales University and was one of fifteen recipients of the Johnson & Wales Fellowship Award. As a fellow, Rifkin worked with the faculty at Johnson & Wales as a teacher and received a Bachelor of Science in Food Service Management. At the end of his college training, he was fortunate to be able to work for two years under Larry Forgione at An American Place in New York City. Working with Forgione afforded him the opportunity to work at "special" functions along with many other acclaimed chefs such as Wolfgang Puck, Jimmy Schmidt, Paul Prudhomme, and others.
When he moved on from An American Place, he became the sous chef at Halcyon, the flagship restaurant at the luxury Japanese Hotel Rihga Royal in New York. It was there that Rifkin worked under Chef John Malligan -the three-time gold medal winner at the Culinary Olympics in Frankfurt, Germany. After Halcyon, Rifkin opened and was chef at City Crab and Seafood Company on Manhattan's Park Avenue. City Crab is a 200+ seat restaurant that serves high quality, fresh seafood of all types and origins. After leaving City Crab and Seafood Company, Rifkin worked with the famed Anne Rosensweig at her uptown restaurant called The Lobster Club.
In 1996, Rifkin opened his first restaurant in Westhampton Beach - The Crazy Dog. Serving an eclectic mix of Modern and Comfort foods, Crazy Dog earned a "Very Good" rating from the N.Y. Times and two stars from Newsday. After a successful eight-year run, a second location was born, this time in Sayville. Once again, earning accolades from both the N.Y. Times and Newsday, as well as Great Restaurants of Long Island.
During Rifkin's culinary career, barbecue was always a sleeping passion. In June of 2006, he opened BobbiQue, named after his daughter Bobbi. An authentic "pit" barbecue restaurant, BobbiQue is now where Eric Rifkin practices his culinary talents to great acclaim.
Sponsors: Oakridge BBQ, Frontier Charcoal
NEBS MAFIA
Blazin' Buttz BBQ www.blazinbuttzbbq.com
Frank Sacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 09:55 PM   #3
nancee
is one Smokin' Farker

OK, this is not the joint in Westport right?
I was going to suggest a road trip to this one...a bunch of us ended up there last week and everyone really liked it...
plus Bob LeRose did an awesome job by us...
just wondering...
Nancee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBarry View Post
We went there last night to see the Gas House Gorillas. They played Westport last Sept. and Trish loved them. We bought the cd!

Now a review:

Great looking place - well laid out. One long bar and TONS of beers and bourbons. Cask conditioned, belgians, local, etc.

Lots of seats and tables. Small but functonal stage.

I met the owner, Eric, and he gave me a tour once the dinner rush slowed. They were packed! He's got an Southern Pride 700 and he says he could use two!

Eric knows BBQ. He spent time in Memphis working in a number of BBQ joints for a few weeks and then headed out across the country to get a broad sense of techniques and tastes.

We ordered Ribs, Pulled Pork, Brisket (chopped and sliced), smoked beans, and potato salad.

Brisket: Got a sliced sandwich (I thought I ordered chopped) and the gave me a side plate of chopped at my request. Sliced was thin (probably done on a slicer) and tasty. Good, big bun. Sliced pulled apart nicely. Sauce was mild and tasty. Chopped was cut into tiny cubes and a bit over sauced. Kind of like burnt ends but smaller and not as burnt. Sauce was a bit too tangy. I would skip them next time and just get the sliced.

Pulled Pork: Tasty. A bit over pulled and slightly mushy but not a negative. I prefer bigger pulls but it was good. Sauced properly. Would order again.

Ribs: St. Louis cut, well trimmed. Good smoke ring, 1/4 inch pull back on the bone end, pulled off the bone properly, minimal sauce. They were finished/reheated on the grill and had a bit of a grilled taste but they were very good. I would order again.

Beans: Really good. Tangy and smoky with bacon.

Potato Salad: Red potatoes, a bit over mayoed. Would order again.

Over all, we had a great time, service was good and the food was very good. We will return.
nancee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 06:36 AM   #4
rbsnwngs
is One Chatty Farker

its on long island nancee

WILLIE PALOOOOZA 2017 Will Happen
http://williepallooza.blogspot.com/
www.williebsbbq.com
38th IS ALMOST LIKE WINNING
rbsnwngs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 10:34 PM   #5
BigBarry
is One Chatty Farker

That's Bobby Q's. Never got to eat there last Sept. On the list.
Webers: Smokey Mountains (2 18.5" and a 22.5") - Performer 22" Silver - Go AnyWhere Charcoal - Smokey Joe Platinum - Craigslist Silver Gasser
BBQ - Bring Beer Quick!
Old 11-17-2008, 08:57 AM   #6
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

I have eaten there twice. Got robbed twice. It sucked
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 07:55 AM   #7
BigBarry
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck View Post
I have eaten there twice. Got robbed twice. It sucked
Which - Westport or Patchogue?
BBQ - Bring Beer Quick!
Old 11-18-2008, 08:08 AM   #8
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Patchogue
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Old 11-18-2008, 08:10 AM   #9
Bill-Chicago
somebody shut me the fark up.

Location: Chicago Southwestern Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.
Name/Nickname : Professor Dickweed

Quote:
Patchogue
I thought that was the ficticious town where Family Guy is set, no?

The death of "willkat98"

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M, Blackstone 36" Griddle
Bill-Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 08:21 AM   #10
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by willkat98 View Post
I thought that was the ficticious town where Family Guy is set, no?
Is that the cartoon where the guy has a set of balls on his chin? It is too disturbing to watch
Old 11-18-2008, 08:51 AM   #11
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

sounds like a girl I knew in college.

:)

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 11:25 AM   #12
Bill-Chicago
somebody shut me the fark up.

Location: Chicago Southwestern Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.
Name/Nickname : Professor Dickweed

Quote:
Is that the cartoon where the guy has a set of balls on his chin? It is too disturbing to watch
Yes, it is. Peter Griffin.

Saw one episode where he said "How'd those get up here?", grabbed his ball chinian and put it back in his pants.

Pretty funny

The death of "willkat98"

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M, Blackstone 36" Griddle
Bill-Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 11:14 PM   #13
Smokin J
Full Fledged Farker

Has any one been to Tennasee Jacks in East Islip? I got take out from there last friday, and it was probably the worst BBQ I've ever had. I went a couple of years ago, and I remember it being ok, but this time it was really BAD. The pulled pork was gray, and tasted steamed. It was worse than my uncle Fred's crockpot pulled pork. The ribs were also a weird gray color all the way through. Aside from the strange gray appearance, they taste was horrible. It was bland, no seasoning, no smoke. I'll never go there again.
http://www.jcbbq.com
LANG #84 W/ DELUX WARMER
MC PR-60 PIG ROASTER
MC PR-72 PIG ROASTER
CGL-60 MagiCater Charcoal Grill
Smokin J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 08:12 AM   #14
BigBarry
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin J View Post
Has any one been to Tennasee Jacks in East Islip? I got take out from there last friday, and it was probably the worst BBQ I've ever had. I went a couple of years ago, and I remember it being ok, but this time it was really BAD. The pulled pork was gray, and tasted steamed. It was worse than my uncle Fred's crockpot pulled pork. The ribs were also a weird gray color all the way through. Aside from the strange gray appearance, they taste was horrible. It was bland, no seasoning, no smoke. I'll never go there again.
They buy their BBQ from a restaurant food service company pre-made. Yummy! Stay away!!!
BBQ - Bring Beer Quick!
Old 11-19-2008, 08:17 AM   #15
BigBarry
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Patchogue
Wow. That's too bad.

I'll try it again and report if it was anomaly.

I forgot one thing - I told him about the Brethren and he offered his back room to us for our "meetings". he thought it was a club-type thing. Nice of him, though.

Maybe we should give it a group try some time and see how it fares.
BBQ - Bring Beer Quick!