The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 11-15-2008, 01:23 PM   #1
motoeric
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Event Organizers

Hi,

I would like to put together a 4 or 5 page packet on BBQ events and how to persuade a group to run one. I need your help.

What I am envisioning is something that can be presented to an existing event (State Fair, various festivals, etc.), an existing body (Elks Club, KoC, etc.) or a not-for-profit (Boy Scouts, charity, Chamber of Commerce, etc.) explaining the benefits of a BBQ competition and outlining what is involved.

As you may know, I have a fairly detailed document that was designed to layout expected costs and possible revenue generators. I received significant input from other organizers as well as Linda Mullane. That was a great success and is an open source document. (LMK if you would like a copy btw)

I would like this to be a sister piece to that. Again, the document would be completely open to anyone who would like to use it. I envision both documents to be tools that strengthen the BBQ community in general.

I would love to hear from you with whatever information you can provide on how an event you have been involved with has helped the presenting body and the community it was held in.

Publicity, public awareness, monetary gains, community involvement, etc.

Hard evidence with statistics would be great, but anecdotal evidence would also help.

For example, The Great Tuscaloosa Pig Round Up is in it's 7th year. In year one we were out of pocket $3,200.00 and were featured in two newspapers and on one TV morning show. In the second year we broke even and had the same newspapers but had coverage on 3 TV networks. In year 3 we made X dollars and attracted 6 national sponsors. Our growth continued and now we are the largest event of our size in a 500 mile radius, with an annual attendance of X and generating profits of Y.*

Again, your help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Feel free to email me if you would prefer not to post here.

saberinc at verizon dot net

*Completely made up

Eric Devlin

A BBQ Brethren Publication
2 Thessalonians 2:15
Exodus 12:9
motoeric is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-15-2008, 02:15 PM   #2
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

I may have some info for you
Catering today so i am kinda busy

Team BBQ Thom.com
Kyle Emery Head Cook
ThomEmery is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-15-2008, 02:30 PM   #3
motoeric
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomEmery View Post
I may have some info for you
Catering today so i am kinda busy

Thanks Thom. When you have a chance, your input would be appreciated.

Eric

A BBQ Brethren Publication
2 Thessalonians 2:15
Exodus 12:9
motoeric is offline   Reply With Quote