The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ > For the Board

Notices

For the Board *On Topic Only* Strictly moderated. NO BAD KARMA! This forum is for questions and discussions you would like reviewed by members of the KCBS(or other BBQ orgs) Board of Directors. A clean and direct place where they do not have to wade thru day to day chatter.

Unread 11-07-2008, 12:18 PM   #31
Sledneck
Time Out

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTable View Post
Slednick,
I just feel with an organization as large as ours, we could be better served with a broader representation. Heck, I would like to see Regional representation. Remember, I'm not saying it is wrong, I just don't like it. Apparently, I am in the minority, but that doesn't mean I have to conform.
You definitely entitled to your opinion. I for one encourage it because to me contests and BBQ are all about family, that is why I compete.
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2008, 02:20 PM   #32
jminion
is one Smokin' Farker

Husband and wife on the Board has been the case 4 different times that I know of.
There is a history for this with KCBS, I believe this has more to do with personalities IMO.

Let me say as someone has sat through Board meetings and watched how a group of members attempt to deal with members that don't toe the line so to speak.

I watched a small group of people write letters monthly to the Board telling how Ray L was just not a nice guy, hurt their feelings and was going to ruin BBQ (seems their interpetation of the situation was right on). I watched the Board write letters to Ray telling him he had to stop what ever he was doing so these letters would stop.

It was brought to the Board that any Board member that wanted to post on any Forum must first get approval from the Marketing Comm. In this case it was me they were wanting to shut up and at that time it was suggested that a lawsuit could come of such actions. I also told them to have a replacement ready for me because I would not follow such a ruling.

This year a gag order was tried again and again the Board was advised of possible actions should they try to pass it.

Here is a question that has not been brought up but I suggest goes more to the matter of how things are done and do call for a remedy. The Treasurer is asked for information because a vote is to come up at the next meeting. The Treasurer informs members that no information will be given until the meeting. This is to limit discovery and discussion on the information being proposed.
WSM
Primos
Klose
couple of Ranch kettles
jminion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2008, 02:23 PM   #33
YankeeBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33 View Post
IMO, If a member of ANY board is behaving in a way that would leave them open for a lawsuit, then they are risking the integrity of the board itself. If it takes another board member threatening to use the law to enforce the law, then so be it.

There are frivolous lawsuits filed every day. Just because someone threatens to take such an action does not mean they had a leg to stand on. I don't have any knowledge of this particular situation I'm just talking in general.

This post is my opinion and mine alone, not necessarily that of the KCBS, it's board of directors or office nor that of Peter Pan, Tinkerbell and certainly not Rush Limbaugh.
YankeeBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2008, 02:28 PM   #34
motoeric
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jminion View Post

I watched a small group of people write letters monthly to the Board telling how Ray L was just not a nice guy, hurt their feelings and was going to ruin BBQ (seems their interpetation of the situation was right on). I watched the Board write letters to Ray telling him he had to stop what ever he was doing so these letters would stop.
Pardon my ignorance, but I don't really pay attention to rumors and politics in BBQ too much.

Are you referring to Ray Lampe when you say 'Ray L'? Did he have an official capacity with the KCBS at the time? This is sort of shocking, as I've never seen or heard of Ray being anything but a consummate ambassador for BBQ.

Eric

A BBQ Brethren Publication
2 Thessalonians 2:15
Exodus 12:9
motoeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2008, 02:34 PM   #35
Diva
is one Smokin' Farker

Other than the obvious, why would they keep the financial and this petition under wraps? At least 1200 people have seen the petition, what's the big deal? Was this petition specifically brought out at the Jack? Or was it being peddled around prior? Whomever started this petition, they weren't at the Jack in an official capacity, I hope.
Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2008, 02:44 PM   #36
jminion
is one Smokin' Farker

Ray Lampe was on the Board in 2005.

Steph
The financial situation was in 2007 while was I on the Board and it was to limit discovery and discussion, I have no doubt there.

The Petition others have much more information than I.
WSM
Primos
Klose
couple of Ranch kettles
Unread 11-07-2008, 03:40 PM   #37
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeBBQ View Post
There are frivolous lawsuits filed every day. Just because someone threatens to take such an action does not mean they had a leg to stand on. .
yup, and thats true too.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

<Sidebar>
Sometimes it make take the threat of the suit to open ones eyes that what they are doing may be illegal, have the perception of illegality, or be a breach of fiduciary duty.

To add to this.. IF there was a member of a board, who i entrusted to represent me as a member or stockholder, and that trustee was doing things that were not in MY best interest or the interest of the organization or gave the perception of an underlying personal or hidden agenda, i would EXPECT others on that board to speak up, and if they must, threaten legal action against the rouge board members. Additionally, it is the person who is calling the illegal action or breach to the table whom I would WANT on that board to protect my interests, the integrity of that board room and represent me.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2008, 03:54 PM   #38
arlieque
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diva View Post
Other than the obvious, why would they keep the financial and this petition under wraps? At least 1200 people have seen the petition, what's the big deal? Was this petition specifically brought out at the Jack? Or was it being peddled around prior? Whomever started this petition, they weren't at the Jack in an official capacity, I hope.
Phillip sent you are being honest who persented the petition to you? Several people have asked and you said you signed it so I am guessing you know. Thanks
arlieque is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2008, 04:14 PM   #39
BBQchef33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck View Post
You definitely entitled to your opinion. I for one encourage it because to me contests and BBQ are all about family, that is why I compete.

Heres MY opinion. You can put a tiara on a pig, and its never going to be a princess. IMO, The question at the top of this thread has but one intention, non other than to air dirty laundry or trap candidates into yes/no answers, that without supplying details that should remain in the board room, may or may not incriminate.

Its my opinion, that this, and a few other questions presented are presented specifically to air the dirty laundry, and pull the patch off one of many black eyes. I for one was embarrassed for KCBS at the activities that took place after last years election and the waste of the BOD time dealing with what was perceived as infighting and petty antics and underlying personal agendas.

If the goal here is to start a negative campaign, and bring out actions based on hearsay, rumor, he said she said, or trap ANY candidate into incriminating themselves due to lack of factual information, this forum will not be a part of it. We will not be a vehicle for slander, hearsay and the propagation of rumor or negativity towards KCBS or its BOD. Nor will it spearhead a campaign against any potential board member.

I recommend, no I INSIST, that questions presented be respectful, of the best intent, and for the betterment of KCBS and its candidates WITHOUT UNDERLYING MOTIVES. They are to get facts about the candidates platforms, and not be directed at negative bullchit that flew all over the internet last year.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
Unread 11-07-2008, 04:32 PM   #40
drbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:

I would like to publicly apologize for ruining BBQ.
drbbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2008, 04:35 PM   #41
BBQchef33

good, now send me your sidekicks(avatar) and take up needlepoint.

News Flash:

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
Unread 11-07-2008, 04:55 PM   #42
jminion
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbbq View Post
I would like to publicly apologize for ruining BBQ.
It's about damn time!! LOL
WSM
Primos
Klose
couple of Ranch kettles
Unread 11-07-2008, 05:11 PM   #43
drbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
It's about damn time!! LOL
Yes, I guess it is. LOL
Do I have to give the money back?
drbbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2008, 05:14 PM   #44
jminion
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbbq View Post
Yes, I guess it is. LOL
Do I have to give the money back?
Either that or spread the love!!
WSM
Primos
Klose
couple of Ranch kettles
Unread 11-08-2008, 10:53 AM   #45
CaptTable
Full Fledged Farker

Jim,

Who were the four husband/wife teams that served on the board at the same time? I could only think of Carolyn and Gary, but they weren't actuallly board members were they? I thought Gary only voted to break ties.

Just curious.
CaptTable is offline   Reply With Quote