The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 11-01-2008, 09:28 AM   #1
Babyboomerboy
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default New guy with a question

Hello, I just found this site and have been reading the posts with interest. I have been elected to start a BBQ cookoff in our small town. I contacted the KCBS about being sanctioned and they have sent me their packet of information. My question is first, is this the right forum to talk about putting together a cookoff and second does anyone have information how to go about starting one of these cookoffs so it will be successful, fun and become an annual event? Thank you
Babyboomerboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-01-2008, 09:46 AM   #2
eagle697
is one Smokin' Farker

Good luck. I will be watching this thread, as i have contemplated trying to start one in my home town. I am sure you will get some great help.

2 NB Banderas, Imperial Kamado #5, Imperial Kamado #0, Large Grill Dome, Large Primo Kamado, 22.5 Weber Silver, 18.5 Weber Silver
eagle697 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-01-2008, 09:59 AM   #3
Alexa RnQ
is One Chatty Farker

Location: the Ninth Ring of Hell, cleverly disguised as Phoenix

I'm not experienced from the organizational end, but I do remember a thread not too long ago along the lines of "What are the 5 most important things you'd like at a comp, and what are the 5 least important?" There were so many good ideas there!

Don't practice until you get it right; practice until you can't get it wrong.
Don't overthink or undercook.

Rhythm 'n QUE
Alexa RnQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-01-2008, 11:10 AM   #4
WannaBeBBQueen
is Blowin Smoke!

yes, you've found the right spot...ask away I'm sure people will chime in with answers...but first go to cattle call and tell us about yourself
KCBS Member
KCBS CBJ
Charbroil Bandera
Charbroil Silver Smoker/Grill
Weber Kettle 18 & 26
WSM 18 1/2
Kamado 18"
FEC 100

http://www.myspace.com/wannabebbqueen
http://www.tripadvisor.com/members/JMBred

*the views of the user Skip (The Prince Consort) do not necessarily reflect those of WannaBeBBQueen...lol
WannaBeBBQueen is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-01-2008, 12:01 PM   #5
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Hey, How bout writing the IBCA to get them to sanction a contest in your area. LOL

God I would love to see that. A contest in Kansas with no garnish. What would they do?

Glad to meet and see you here. WE will have some fun. This is the best forum on the net for BBQ.

Unread 11-01-2008, 12:34 PM   #6
Podge
is One Chatty Farker

I'd suggest cooking at least one contest yourself first. Put yourself in the cook's shoes and I think that will give you the best insight.
Podge is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-01-2008, 12:54 PM   #7
motoeric
Babbling Farker

Hi,

Go to www.homeofbbq.com and click on Comp Tools.

You can download a program that will allow you to input how many teams you have and will spit back how much of what that you need to have on hand. How many judges, how many chairs, how much water, how many tables, how many tents, how many saltines, etc.

There is also a fairly comprehensive document that provides an overview of expenses you can anticipate and possible revenue drivers.

Good luck and let us know if you need any help.

Eric

A BBQ Brethren Publication
2 Thessalonians 2:15
Exodus 12:9
motoeric is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-01-2008, 05:20 PM   #8
CivilWarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podge View Post
I'd suggest cooking at least one contest yourself first. Put yourself in the cook's shoes and I think that will give you the best insight.
I agree with Podge - partially. The cook's experience is obviously important, but only one piece of the puzzle an organizer must be concerned with. The perspective of the public, judges, vendors and sponsors must also be understood if you wish to produce a successful event.

You absolutely should attend every nearby contest you can! You'll get all kinds of ideas from this, get to observe first hand what works and what doesn't (be sure to attend the awards presentation) and if you're lucky you can score contact info from one of the organizers. They'll likely be too busy then to really talk with you much, but give them a call a few weeks after the event and pick their brain. Like several others here I am an event organizer and can offer you some help, but there is no substitute for the special insights and local resources other organizers in your immediate area can assist you with.

Best of luck!

-Gowan
CivilWarBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-01-2008, 06:31 PM   #9
Babyboomerboy
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks to everyone who posted a reply to my thread. I have never been to a real KCBS BBQ contest before, but will certainly go to a few when they come up in our area. Also we are planning on having a KCBS judging class here in April that I will attend and hopefully get others in this region to go to so we will have certified judges for our cookoff in July. What kind of prize money am I looking at for the first contest? We are building a sponsor list now and it would be nice to have an idea how much money we need to raise so that we can get some of you pro's interested in coming and showing us what a true competition is like. Thanks again, your knowledge is vast and really appreciated.
Babyboomerboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-01-2008, 06:46 PM   #10
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

Doesn't Kansas already have like a bazillion contests?
Northern midwest director for OBR
www.operationbbqrelief.com
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-01-2008, 07:48 PM   #11
Bigmista
somebody shut me the fark up.

There a few contest promoters that post here. Arlie, ThomEmery and Jeff-in-KC just off the top of my head. I'm sure they will chime in or you can send them a PM.

Exodus 29:18
Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD.

God loves BBQ!

Bigmista Custom Spicewine Trailer - Olivia J. PIMA
Large and Medium Spicewines
Weber Ranch Kettle - E.T.

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-01-2008, 07:51 PM   #12
motoeric
Babbling Farker

Feel free to pm me with any questions. I have some experience helping to run the Battle of the BBQ Brethren and a couple of others.

Eric

A BBQ Brethren Publication
2 Thessalonians 2:15
Exodus 12:9
motoeric is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-01-2008, 10:52 PM   #13
CivilWarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyboomerboy View Post
What kind of prize money am I looking at for the first contest?
A typical start-up contest computes prize money based on team entry fees. Figure out how many teams you have room for and work from there, making sure entries will more than cover your prize money. For example, if you plan for 25 teams and will charge a 200 entry, you would have $5000 if you fill your contest. (Don't count any funds from extras like private porta johns, electric upgrades, etc.)

Since you can't be certain you will get all 25 teams, back off from that number a bit. You can always increase your payout, but KCBS requires that you guarantee whatever prize amount you declare when you request sanctioning. You don't want to have to come up with the cash to cover your prize money if you don't have enough entries! So in the example above let's say you settle on a $4000 guaranteed prize pool. If you book all your cook team slots you can simply announce that the payouts have increased if you choose to do so. Your cook teams won't complain.

Your sponsors should be covering your other costs of putting on the event. Assuming the purpose of the contest is to raise money for a charity, sponsorships should cover your fund raising target as well. If you will be charging admission, that money is icing on the cake - but don't count on it! There are too many factors that can wipe out ticket sales (especially weather) so you don't want to be depending on the public turning out to keep you in the black.
CivilWarBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-02-2008, 04:58 PM   #14
Bud's BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Good luck on your adventure. We are also trying to start an event in a nearby small town in Michigan. KCBS requires that you work with another organizer and follow the process in person at an actual event. Great experience and one of the sanctioning requirements.

Geer Pit by Jambo
FEC-100
CBJ
WEBER GENISES GAS GRILL
Bud's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-02-2008, 06:54 PM   #15
Rookie'48
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Just a thought here. When setting the number of teams, how much space are you allowing for each team? One comp that I judged this summer only gave a 20' x 20' area which made it kind of tight (or impossible) for a lot of teams to fit in their own spot. Also figure that you need extra room for late arriving teams to drive to their spots. The guy who has two EZ-Ups & the back of his mini van can get in any where, but some one who has a 30 foot fifth wheeler might have a problem here.

Possibly the only judge ever to get an award from a bunch of cooks

UDS 075 UCB WSM and a bunch of other stuff.
Rookie'48 is offline   Reply With Quote