The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 10-27-2008, 07:13 PM   #1
watg?
is One Chatty Farker

Default The Royal or the Jack?

What if you HAD to choose? Your team is invited to cook in both the Royal and the Jack. Due to whatever reason, budgetary considerations, family or work (time off) concerns etc, you could only cook in one, which would it be and why?

Startin the Fire-(a book) Everything you need to know about starting a competition BBQ team. (except the recipes) www.startinthefire.com

"Let me have a diablo sandwich and a Dr. Pepper, make it fast, I'm in a ---damn hurry". Sheriff Buford T.Justice
watg? is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2008, 07:16 PM   #2
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

The Royal because of all of those crazy MOFO's.
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2008, 07:23 PM   #3
Coz
is One Chatty Farker

From the rookie side,I would do the Jack if invited as you have the whole draw process to survive.If you win a qualifier to get into the Jack draw odds are that you will get an Invite to the Royal also(unless your from a certain Illinois city).From here it seems the Jack is more highly sought after.The odds of getting there are slim and could only happen once in a lifetime.If you win a qualifier you get to go to KC.My .02
Stumps Clone " CHRISTINE " ONE Evil Biotch and another in process

BRINGIN' THE HEAT BBQ Team
just Cloning around
Coz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2008, 07:31 PM   #4
SmokeInDaEye
Quintessential Chatty Farker

That's so odd, George. I was just thinking about that myself. After yesterday's win, I guess I may be invited to the Royal and got a long shot at the Jack.

Problem is, I have so little time for contests as is and the travel/vacation time is a real issue. I've heard great things about the royal and would love to meet all of the MOFOs, but the Jack seems pretty cool too. I have some time to think about it but I feel bad that I may have to turn down what is an amazing honor so many teams strive for.
Gen II Komodo Kamado, Pit Barrel Cooker, 3x 18.5" WSMs, 22.5" WSM, modified 18.5" Weber Kettle, 22.5" Weber Kettle circa 1960ish, Weber One Touch Platinum, copper Weber Smokey Joe, La Caja China, Bubba Keg, Bodom Picnic Grill, Weber Genesis
SmokeInDaEye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2008, 07:45 PM   #5
MilitantSquatter

I thought about this a bit on the plane ride home from the Jack.

Here's my impression

Jack - viewed by many as the most prestigious, prestige is mainly a result of the selection process which to some degree whittles out many of the best teams that year. Typical contest atmoshpere of a park/field like setting except for the Jack Daniels operations. More subdued team atmosphere, 78 teams total and a dozen or so were international (and most did not place too well). Poor payout. Cool trophies. Met some new Brethren which was cool.

Royal - Two contests in one.. 110 teams in the Invitational (many of the same qualifying teams at the Jack plus more GC's) and then over 450 teams combined in the open. Bit more of a party atmosphere in a parking lot. Good payout. Cool Trophies. Met a ton of new Brethren which was fun.

If I had to make a decision to only do one for whatever reason, it would likely be the AR. Tougher competition, more competition, better payouts.
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2008, 07:53 PM   #6
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Jack - harder to qualify and more prestige. It's the world championship.

Old 10-27-2008, 07:57 PM   #7
Plowboy
somebody shut me the fark up.

The Jack, cause I've done the Royal.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2008, 07:58 PM   #8
MilitantSquatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford View Post
Yes.. but it's only harder to qualify based on their selection process not performance. Some of the best teams in the country do not get the chance to prove themselves that year.

I would not be surprised at some point if another competition comes out of nowhere that dubs themselves a World Championship. I've seen it happen in two unrelated sports. The unfortunate part is that it bastardizes what a World Championship is but people will go where the money is or be able to win a title even if it's watered down.
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2008, 07:59 PM   #9
ique
is Blowin Smoke!

If you had never cooked the Jack before, the Jack. If you had, The Royal. Its harder to get into the Jack so you should take the chance while you got it. I probably slightly prefer the Royal for some of the reasons Vinny mentions.
ique is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2008, 08:00 PM   #10
Plowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford View Post
It is harder to qualify for because of the way the qualifier is run. Qualification is a huge game of chance. It can't be the world championship if most of the world's best teams aren't there. (We had 10 of the top 50 KCBS TOY teams at Kurzweil's this weekend.)

I'll give you prestige.

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler

Old 10-27-2008, 08:05 PM   #11
Podge
is One Chatty Farker

hmm.
Podge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2008, 08:08 PM   #12
ique
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowboy View Post
It can't be the world championship if most of the world's best teams aren't there.
I don't know if most weren't. Some for sure.

It is the only contest that has a real international presence too.

Old 10-27-2008, 08:10 PM   #13
Plowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ique View Post
I don't know if most weren't. Some for sure.

It is the only contest that has a real international presence too.
You are correct, not most. How about 'many'?

Old 10-27-2008, 08:16 PM   #14
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitantSquatter View Post
Yes.. but it's only harder to qualify based on their selection process not performance. Some of the best teams in the country do not get the chance to prove themselves that year.

I would not be surprised at some point if another competition comes out of nowhere that dubs themselves a World Championship. I've seen it happen in two unrelated sports. The unfortunate part is that it bastardizes what a World Championship is but people will go where the money is or be able to win a title even if it's watered down.

Now there is a idea :)

Team What Wood Jesus Que?

Www.bbqthom.com
ThomEmery is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2008, 08:27 PM   #15
ique
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowboy View Post
You are correct, not most. How about 'many'?
No doubt.