MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Road Trips

Notices

Brethren Road Trips The travel logs of our members. Q- joints, restaurants, entertainment, reviews while we travel around the 50 states. Also, Post here for a shout out to members to meet up with while on the road.

Old 10-18-2008, 02:15 PM   #1
motoeric
Babbling Farker

Default BBQ Inc. - Rockville Centre, LI

Hi,

I stopped by BBQ Inc. last week and got some take out.

The first thing to note is that this place is almost too nice looking to be called a BBQ joint. That automatically makes me suspicious.

The bartender was a smoking (pun intended) hot blond, so I immediately felt better about the place.

I decided to go basic, so I ordered the pulled pork sandwich and a side of chili. The total came to about $18.00.

While waiting I looked around a bit. The restaurant seems built for summer and late spring traffic. The entire front window is removed on nice days to give the space a very open feel. You can get a table near the entrance and people watch as you have a combination of dining al fresco with the limited privacy afforded by 3 walls of the restaurant separating you from the public in the street.

They have a beautiful bar and a large screen tv (they had the MLB playoffs on while I was there). There are roughly 14 tables that looked very comfortable and well spaced out.

Speaking with the manager (and maybe a part owner, I'm not sure), they do their smoking on premises and use deconstructed jack daniels barrels for their wood. I wasn't familiar with the type of smoker they use, but I believe it is similar to a cookshack. They are waiting for permits to get larger smokers outside the building behind the restaurant.

It seems that they smoke the meat for 2 hours and then have them in an oven for another 6 to 8. Not the best situation, but better than some places like Tennessee Jack's that opens a cryovac from Sysco. Hopefully the new smokers will allow them to have continuous smoking over wood.

The pulled pork sandwich came with french fries and coleslaw. There are no substitutions. The fries were pretty dead by the time I got home. Lukewarm at best, limp and soggy. They don't seem to use anything on the fries (rubs or other flavor additives) which might be a good thing if I was eating it at the restaurant. There is something to be said for food that is pure and as unadulterated as possible. Unfortunately, the 30 minute drive home didn't help things at all.

The sandwich was plentiful and tasty. It wasn't the best by any means, but for Long Island BBQ it was pretty good. The coleslaw was fresh, tart and crispy and I plopped it on top of the sandwich. It wasn't that flavorful, but it was pretty decent.

Tortilla chips (maybe eight) came directly on top of the chili. That was a little odd. The chili also came with sour cream plopped in the middle. It would have been nice if they had been in a side container. Other than that the chili was better than average. It would have annoyed purists, as it had kidney beans and used ground beef, but the flavor was good.

Overall, it warrants a return trip.

Eric

A BBQ Brethren Publication
2 Thessalonians 2:15
Exodus 12:9
motoeric is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-18-2008, 02:45 PM   #2
Pigtrip
Knows what a fatty is.

Nice review. Reasons you should have eaten the sandwich and fries there rather than take-out:
1. Smoking hot blonde bartender
2. The food would be fresher, the fries crisper without the 30 minute delay
3. Smoking hot blonde bartender
4. A chance to get even more dirt on the place
5. More drinks (see #1 and #3)
6. Baseball playoffs (notice how the Yankees are out, the Red Sox are in?)
7. Smoking hot blonde bartender
1 Weber kettle grill
2 Weber Smoky Mountain Cookers (bullet)
1 Big Green Egg (large)
Pigtrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 03:42 PM   #3
Westexbbq
somebody shut me the fark up.

Nice critique of nice review.
I hope to visit after confirming 1,3,5 and 7 are working and hope number 6 is moot by the time I get there.
Texas International Pop Festival, Labor Day 1969.
IMBAS Certified.
Just roll me up and smoke me when I die.
Always remember, no matter where ya go,
there you are.
I wanna tell you 'bout Texas radio and the big beat.
Someday, I hope to visit Penelope.
Hondo Crouch, Famous Late Mayor of Lunkenbach, Texas who advocated a 'dillo diet: "You can eat nothing but armadillos for a month, but you will have to run down and catch all the armadillos you eat and it can really take the weight off!"

Westexbbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 03:57 PM   #4
rbsnwngs
is One Chatty Farker

i'm in for a trip

WILLIE PALOOOOZA 2017 Will Happen
http://williepallooza.blogspot.com/
www.williebsbbq.com
38th IS ALMOST LIKE WINNING
rbsnwngs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 04:00 PM   #5
BigBarry
is One Chatty Farker

Me 3
Webers: Smokey Mountains (2 18.5" and a 22.5") - Performer 22" Silver - Go AnyWhere Charcoal - Smokey Joe Platinum - Craigslist Silver Gasser
BBQ - Bring Beer Quick!
In the Land of the Pig, the Butcher is King!
BigBarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 04:09 PM   #6
rbsnwngs
is One Chatty Farker

Gary

When are we going

www.williebsbbq.com
Old 10-19-2008, 04:09 PM   #7
MilitantSquatter

Eric - Do you think the guy was being truthful about using deconstructed JD oak barrels ?

Would think that quite a steady flow of barrels would be needed. Not sure how easy it would be to acquire those continuously. Maybe they are using some JD wood chips ?
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 05:22 PM   #8
motoeric
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitantSquatter View Post
Eric - Do you think the guy was being truthful about using deconstructed JD oak barrels ?

Would think that quite a steady flow of barrels would be needed. Not sure how easy it would be to acquire those continuously. Maybe they are using some JD wood chips ?
I don't know. I would not be surprised to hear that he thought that they do and was mistaken. He seemed very much to be a manager and not a kitchen guy.

Eric

A BBQ Brethren Publication
2 Thessalonians 2:15
Exodus 12:9
motoeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 05:45 PM   #9
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

If it is a cookshack then wouldn't it most likely be pellets?
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 07:19 AM   #10
rbsnwngs
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck View Post
If it is a cookshack then wouldn't it most likely be pellets?
no the smaller units use chips
you should know this your sponcer cooks on a few of these

www.williebsbbq.com
Old 10-20-2008, 08:02 AM   #11
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbsnwngs View Post
no the smaller units use chips
you should know this your sponcer cooks on a few of these
thats what i meant. So basically he is buying the jack daniels chips that can be bought in any store
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Old 10-20-2008, 11:45 AM   #12
Porky
is One Chatty Farker

Eric- Where in RVC was this place located? I live in Baldwin( for the next 11 days) and have not seen this place and never heard of it!
Weber OTG Walnut handle from Marty Leach
KCBS #20486,FBA certified Master judge,IMBAS (MOINK BALL) Certified

Like what you do. Do what you like.
Porky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 01:21 PM   #13
Westexbbq
somebody shut me the fark up.

I'm guessing 12 S. Park Ave in RVC,

http://www.bbqincrvc.com/BBQ_Inc._Si...Inc._Home.html

Could be a fun visit.
How bout this weekend????????
Anybody doing anything Friday, Saturday or Sunday?
Texas International Pop Festival, Labor Day 1969.
IMBAS Certified.
Just roll me up and smoke me when I die.
Always remember, no matter where ya go,
there you are.
I wanna tell you 'bout Texas radio and the big beat.
Someday, I hope to visit Penelope.
Hondo Crouch, Famous Late Mayor of Lunkenbach, Texas who advocated a 'dillo diet: "You can eat nothing but armadillos for a month, but you will have to run down and catch all the armadillos you eat and it can really take the weight off!"

Westexbbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 01:38 PM   #14
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Im in if they have sushi
Old 10-20-2008, 02:49 PM   #15
Porky
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks Wes, right after I typed the question I went and Googled it and found the location.
Weber OTG Walnut handle from Marty Leach
KCBS #20486,FBA certified Master judge,IMBAS (MOINK BALL) Certified

Like what you do. Do what you like.
Porky is offline   Reply With Quote