The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 10-12-2008, 10:50 AM   #1
MilitantSquatter

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Judging Demographics at The Jack

I know people come from all over to judge the Jack. My guess is a mix of certified judges from possibly from different sanctioning bodies,some non-certified judges, maybe some locals, maybe some celebrity judges, foodies/writers etc. but I could be completely off in my assumption.

Can anyone provide some more insight into the usual makeup of the judging pool ?

Anyone use this info to tailor/fine-tune how & what they cook at this specific contest or prefer to just stick with what brought you there game plan ?

Thanks

Unread 10-12-2008, 11:12 AM   #2
Bunny
Full Fledged Farker

People from all over do come to judge the Jack, but they are all certified before the judging begins. It is required that you take the CBJ class before judging if you are not certified.

Yes they have their celebrity judges, too. I know one year Eddie Haskell was one of them and I judged next to a baseball player one year. They have their local television media judges and last year Guy from Dive-Ins, Diners and Dives was suppose to judge but didn't show. I was so hoping he would be this year.

Rich Tuttle is going to judge this year as he did last year. He is a CBJ instructor as well as Master CBJ, KCBS rep and a competitor on KCass BBQ Team. So while he's judging, I'm going to visit teams.

Hope I gave you some insight on the judging.

Bunny Tuttle

Unread 10-12-2008, 11:15 AM   #3
Bunny
Full Fledged Farker

PS..I would cook like you always do. That's what got you there in the first place!!

Unread 10-12-2008, 01:06 PM   #4
ique
is One Chatty Farker

Its pretty varied as you point out. From the the local news sports anchor to master KCBS judges. You could go heavy on sweet sauce for a new judge but what happens when you end up on Paul Kirks table?

Just do your thing and pray for good tables...
ique is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-12-2008, 05:14 PM   #5
SloppyQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Vinny don't change anything, you could end up DAL, I know (last week syndrom). You guys will do just fine.

Sloppys Backwoods Smokers Comp team
Sloppycreek Comp team
If it's drippin down yer chin it's Sloppy's

KCBS CBJ #9715
Two homemade offset smokers,Two WSMs,One Weber Kettle,One Traeger 075 TEX
One FEC 100
SloppyQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-13-2008, 09:59 AM   #6
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

Is the judging class the day of turn ins?
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-13-2008, 11:52 AM   #7
Podge
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitantSquatter View Post
I know people come from all over to judge the Jack. My guess is a mix of certified judges from possibly from different sanctioning bodies,some non-certified judges, maybe some locals, maybe some celebrity judges, foodies/writers etc. but I could be completely off in my assumption.

Can anyone provide some more insight into the usual makeup of the judging pool ?

Anyone use this info to tailor/fine-tune how & what they cook at this specific contest or prefer to just stick with what brought you there game plan ?

Thanks
dance with the one that got you there... Good is good, people are people.
Podge is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-13-2008, 12:17 PM   #8
QN
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamprb View Post
Is the judging class the day of turn ins?
The judging class is usually on Friday afternoon with judging on Saturday at the usual times for a KCBS event.
Weber Genesis gasser
KCBS Master CBJ; KCBS 100+ Club
Certified Table Captain
MIM Certified Judge
QN is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-13-2008, 12:25 PM   #9
Alexa RnQ
is One Chatty Farker

Location: the Ninth Ring of Hell, cleverly disguised as Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by ique View Post
You could go heavy on sweet sauce for a new judge but what happens when you end up on Paul Kirks table?

This is what worries me. We've learned from the beginning in a sweet California-style flavor package. It's all we know.

I'm skeert. Somebody hold me.

Don't practice until you get it right; practice until you can't get it wrong.
Don't overthink or undercook.

Rhythm 'n QUE
Alexa RnQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-13-2008, 02:24 PM   #10
QN
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivaHerself View Post

This is what worries me. We've learned from the beginning in a sweet California-style flavor package. It's all we know.

As Chris said...
"Just do your thing and pray for good tables..."
The judges are from all over and a lot are food writers and food industry professionals. Remember, the real goal is to get publicity for the local product...
http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs....ON03/809180338
Weber Genesis gasser
KCBS Master CBJ; KCBS 100+ Club
Certified Table Captain
MIM Certified Judge
QN is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-13-2008, 06:28 PM   #11
swamprb

Quote:
Originally Posted by QN View Post
The judging class is usually on Friday afternoon with judging on Saturday at the usual times for a KCBS event.
I was poking around on the Jack Daniels site and there was not much info on the contest, is it true you can drop in for a "refresher course" at a KCBS judging class?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivaHerself View Post

Left Coast group hug!
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-13-2008, 07:02 PM   #12
Solidkick

Vinnie.............if Pooh wants to change chit up when you get down to Lynchburg, you have my permission to slap him the fark back to reality!!
Do what got you there.....it's all in the judges hands anyway.......
I turn in 180 food every contest, it's the six setting at the table that don't agree with me!

------------------------------------------------
Belly Brothers BBQ Team

"Sister Flame" Spicewine Trailer Smoker,Modified Bandera, Uni-Flame Chicken Cooker with a Spicewine Thermometer mod,Kingsford Barrel cooker and a super fast RED thermapen

KC always said "fat cap up!!
Solidkick is offline   Reply With Quote