ブタ
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 10-04-2008, 08:13 PM   #16
NotleyQue
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

I have 1 of those. Its awsome.
A bit heavy (It will crush your foot if it falls on it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivelombardis View Post
do y'all know how tough the bamboo cutting boards i've seen around some local stores are?

[CENTER][B]Notley Que BBQ: Southern California's Finest BBQ Catering[/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][FONT=Arial Black]Meat is Murder......Tasty Tasty Murder[/FONT][/B][/CENTER]
NotleyQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-04-2008, 08:51 PM   #17
Monty
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian in So Cal View Post
Was looking at getting a maple cutting board. Then someone metioned that you can't or should not cut meat on them. Something to do with bacteria getting into the board.

Is this correct?

Can anybody recommend it or a different type of cutting board?

Thanks,
Brian
I recently bought one of these and like it real well for $20

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/produ...ards%2Dstorage

"When a defining moment comes along - you either define the moment - or the moment defines you" -- Tin Cup
"Big Chief" ES (for Christmas Jerky!)
Monty is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-04-2008, 08:55 PM   #18
nmayeux
Babbling Farker

I love the wood boards as they are super fast with the knives, but due to ease of maintenance and price we use the plastic boards they sell at the local restaurant supply. Though we sanitize everything after each cook, its nice to have the red boards for raw meat, grean for veggitarians, and white for everything else.
Lang 60 Marie Laveau
WSM 22.5 Asmarelda
BSKD Gretchen
22.5 OTG Samantha
nmayeux is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-05-2008, 11:15 AM   #19
TN_BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

I too am in the camp: raw meat on plastic boards & wood boards for veggies.

Unread 10-05-2008, 11:28 AM   #20
Ron_L

Downloads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian in So Cal View Post
I like that idea for comps.

Where did you pick it up at?
There may be other sources but I bought my disposable cutting board here. They are great for cleanup at comps.

Unwrap me!
Smoke me!
Eat me!

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser

Remembering a friend
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-05-2008, 06:42 PM   #21
jestridge
somebody shut me the fark up.

USP-grade mineral oil is a popular choice as it is the cheapest pure [COLOR=brown! important][COLOR=brown! important]food-grade[/COLOR][/COLOR] oil you can buy (do not use vegetable or olive oils because they can turn rancid). Mineral oil remains safe throughout its life. There are various oils available for cutting boards and butcher blocks. Some are called "Butcher Block Finishes" or "Mystery Oil." Save some money by visiting the local hardware or drug store and purchasing Mineral Oil. (not mineral spirits - this is paint thinner).

When you see the words "food safe finish" in a description of a wood product, this generally means mineral oil has been used. Simply wipe mineral oil on the surface of your board and watch it soak in. When the wood won't take any more oil, you can wipe off the excess with a clean dry cloth. Don't worry about applying too much oil - more is better.
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-05-2008, 06:56 PM   #22
jestridge
somebody shut me the fark up.

A-Z Index / WebMail / Dept. DirectoryEnter search terms
Select type of search
Select type of search People Search Campus Search System Search Forest Products Extension

Forest Products Extension Home
Tennessee Forest Products Center
Spring 2005 Newsletter
Wood Updates
Wood-related Web Links Forestry Forum wood web Steve Shook's Directory TN Forest Industry Directory Wood Science Email Listserve
Other F.P. Extension Programs Terry Connors - UK Virginia Tech Oregon State Penn State NC State Appalachian Hardwood Center Louisiana State
Adam Taylor's CV

Is it OK to use a wooden cutting board?
Yes! While there has been some debate over whether plastic is better, it is safe to use a wooden cutting board for food preparation.
Poisonous bacteria can exist in raw meat, but they will be killed if the meat is properly cooked. A possibility of food poisoning arises when these bacteria are transferred to uncooked foods during meal preparation. For example, this “cross-contamination” could occur when vegetables for a salad are cut on a board that was previously used for cutting infected chicken.
The question is whether wooden or plastic cutting boards are more likely to harbor harmful bacteria, even after being cleaned. Some have suggested that it is “just common sense” that a porous material like wood would be harder to keep clean than plastic. It turns out that testing does not necessarily support this assumption. In fact, some studies have suggested that used wooden cutting boards are less friendly to bacteria than used plastic boards. Other studies have shown plastic to be slightly easier to clean.
One of the more recent studies on this issue concluded that wood and plastic are about the same in terms of food safety, and that other factors – e.g. price and durability – will be more important when choosing a cutting board. And the Food & Drug Administration's (FDA) Food Code states that “hard maple or an equivalently hard, close-grained wood” may be used for cutting boards and other restaurant food equipment.
Regardless of what material you choose, the following steps are recommended: use different cutting surfaces for raw foods that require cooking and wash and dry your cutting boards after use.
I also went to FDA web site it said basically the same thing
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote