ブタ
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 09-23-2008, 02:21 PM   #1
Dozer217
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Weber kettle, worth it?

Is the Weber kettle 22' or 18' worth the extra money over a brinkman, kingsford etc.? Is it that much more efficient in making BBQ? I would mainly be using it for assisting my NB smoker and for small stuff like making dinner for the family, burgers, dogs, and chicken maybe an occasional butt.
Dozer217 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-23-2008, 02:24 PM   #2
Spydermike72
Babbling Farker

If you can find one on Craigslist you can get a Weber for less than the price of a Brinkman or Kingsford. This is a good time of year to find them.
Backwoods Competitor
Backwoods Party
Ranch Kettle,Weber Performerl
Certified Moink Baller
President of the Great Lakes BBQ Association

For those who fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know
Spydermike72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-23-2008, 02:26 PM   #3
lwest99
On the road to being a farker

I am a pretty big fan of everything weber. I agree you can probbly get one on craigs list pretty cheap this time of year.
:icon_cool
lwest99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-23-2008, 02:27 PM   #4
Harbormaster
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Dozer -
Heed the advice of the all-wise Spydermike.
I scored a one-touch gold for $40 (like new) and a one-touch silver for $15 (also like new).
Deals are there to be had.
Is it worth spending the extra $$ to get a Weber? I would say yes. There is a saying on the Virtual Weber Bulletin Board site - Buy the best and only cry once.
My Toys: 10 WSMs (B, C, DH, DA, EZ, DZ, EO, DU, DR, EE/DU mutt); Brinkman Cimmaron; Chuckwagon Cooker; 5 22.5" Bar-B-Q-Kettles; 1 18.5" Bar-B-Q-Kettle; 3 WGAs (EZ, DE, N); 3 SJPs (DT, DR, DR); 2 Smokey Joes (A, K); Genesis Silver C (DU).
"For when democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote"
Harbormaster is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-23-2008, 02:37 PM   #5
BobBrisket

Yes. You can find gently used ones on CL. I even saw the Silvers marked down and Wal-Mart yesterday. You can't go wrong with the Weber and the extra money will pay off in the long run with quality and reliability. Plus, the customer sevice you get with Weber is top notch. IMHO it's also a great smoker too. I've done brisket and butts in the kettle with fantastic results. I've owned Charbroils, and other types of grills. They may be a bit bigger on the grate, but when it comes down to it, I'd rather have two kettles than one larger one of any brand. That's just me. But I love my kettles.

I would recommend you look at CL. Since you want one as a backup, you can get a very gently used one for a lot less if you look around. Some may only need a good cleaning to work and look like new again.

While at Wal-Mart the other day, I noticed quite a few different types of grills and smokers on close out. The Kingsford grills were nice, but the craftsmanship was weak. I could see the hinges weren't very strong and the crank lever that raises and lowers the coal grate was also not a very good design and somewhat fragile.
The good thing about the kettles are the fact that there aren't a whole bunch of moving parts to wear out or break. Bout the only problem I can see on my kettle is that the legs are getting a bit wobbly and now come out of the socket when I move it around. A few well placed self tapping screws will fix that problem easily though.

I guess you can tell I recommend the Kettle!

P.S. Go with the 22.5 kettle. You'll appreciate the extra room later on. If I ever need more grilling space, then I fire up my 18.5 right beside it.
UDS, Pit Barrel Cooker-Courtesy of Poobah, WSM, 22.5 Weber Kettles-K and DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver B, Lil' Chief Smoker, Lodge Sportman Grill, Backyard Fire Pit, Dutch Ovens, Discada Set Up!
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver

My BEST Compliment......"You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son.
Git Smokin, Dan!
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-23-2008, 02:37 PM   #6
HB-BBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Another vote for the webers here. If you can find a 22" it is more versatile than the 18" IMO and you get the added benefit of having a lid if you wish to build a UDS down the line.

Unread 09-23-2008, 02:47 PM   #7
Harmening
On the road to being a farker

I had Webers, then decided to try something else, thinking I was missing out. I now only own Weber grills. They really are the best "bang for the buck". My family thinks I'm strange, though. I'll have a family get-together from time to time. When I do, I'll have a WSM, a 22.5, an 18, and a Smokey Joe going at the same time. I never hear them complain about the food, though.
Harmening is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-23-2008, 02:49 PM   #8
The Anchorman
is One Chatty Farker

In a word YES

BWS Party, Chubby, WSM, 4 Kettles, 3 Performers, 1 Smokey Joe Platininum, Weber Genisis B, 2 Grey Thermopens
KCBS CBJ
The Anchorman is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-23-2008, 02:55 PM   #9
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

Get the Wee-ber!
Northern midwest director for OBR
www.operationbbqrelief.com
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-23-2008, 02:57 PM   #10
aks801
Full Fledged Farker

A Weber 22 is IMHO the best single all-around cooking apparatus one can own.

Disclosure: I own one.
"Been dazed and confused for so long it's not true"
aks801 is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-23-2008, 02:58 PM   #11
BobBrisket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba View Post
Get the Wee-ber!

I thought it was We buh!
UDS, Pit Barrel Cooker-Courtesy of Poobah, WSM, 22.5 Weber Kettles-K and DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver B, Lil' Chief Smoker, Lodge Sportman Grill, Backyard Fire Pit, Dutch Ovens, Discada Set Up!
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver

My BEST Compliment......"You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son.
Git Smokin, Dan!
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-23-2008, 03:14 PM   #12
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBrisket View Post
I thought it was We buh!
Here we go again......
Northern midwest director for OBR
www.operationbbqrelief.com
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-23-2008, 03:16 PM   #13
Bevo
Full Fledged Farker

If you get the 22" and you think you are going to use it to assist your other grill.....Be careful, I bet the Weber will become primary..If you really understand how the Weber works, they are very hard to beat!!!!

Unread 09-23-2008, 03:23 PM   #14
Harbormaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBrisket View Post
...Bout the only problem I can see on my kettle is that the legs are getting a bit wobbly and now come out of the socket when I move it around. A few well placed self tapping screws will fix that problem easily though.
If you insert a piece of wood (about 4 inches long) that fits tightly into the aluminum tube first, the screws hold better. (Even without the screws will keep the leg from falling out. Adding the wood increases the "stiffness") I used a paint roller extension handle and it fit very securely.
My Toys: 10 WSMs (B, C, DH, DA, EZ, DZ, EO, DU, DR, EE/DU mutt); Brinkman Cimmaron; Chuckwagon Cooker; 5 22.5" Bar-B-Q-Kettles; 1 18.5" Bar-B-Q-Kettle; 3 WGAs (EZ, DE, N); 3 SJPs (DT, DR, DR); 2 Smokey Joes (A, K); Genesis Silver C (DU).
"For when democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote"
Harbormaster is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-23-2008, 03:50 PM   #15
tommykendall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozer217 View Post
Is the Weber kettle 22' or 18' worth the extra money over a brinkman, kingsford etc.? Is it that much more efficient in making BBQ? I would mainly be using it for assisting my NB smoker and for small stuff like making dinner for the family, burgers, dogs, and chicken maybe an occasional butt.
There is no question about it. What I've put my 22" kettle through in 4 years could never be matched by either of the others. That goes in terms of durability and cooking ability.