The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-22-2008, 10:54 AM   #1
milehigh
is One Chatty Farker

Default Couple O Questions

Smoked a 7 lb. butt on a medium BGE yesterday. At about the 11 hour mark. it got to 180 degrees and held. At the 12 hour mark it was not budging, and the dome temp was dropping. I was obviously running out of fuel.

1) How would you have finished the butt?

2) What is the longest cook have you done on a med. BGE ?

Paul
milehigh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2008, 11:36 AM   #2
vr6Cop
is One Chatty Farker

I have had some butts stall at around 180, so I've stoked the fire and cranked up the heat to around 300 or so.

I have a large BGE, and I've had a 30 hour cook with a BBQ Guru. Once. The medium should be about the same as far as efficiency goes, and you should be able to run at least 20 hours no problem.
Jere Baxter-Edgefield Lodge 254 F&AM
vr6Cop is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2008, 11:40 AM   #3
Ron_L

If you can't get the Egg temp back up with a wiggle rod, foil the butt and put it in the oven to finish. It already has all of the smoke flavor it is going to pick up so using the oven wouldn't hurt anything.

BBQ Brethren Chicago Area Picnic Coming Soon!! Join us!

The Naked Fatty!

3x Hunsaker Cans/Southern Q Limo Elite Gravity Fed/FEC-100/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/BS Pizza Oven
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2008, 12:17 PM   #4
bbqbull
Watching over us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
If you can't get the Egg temp back up with a wiggle rod, foil the butt and put it in the oven to finish. It already has all of the smoke flavor it is going to pick up so using the oven wouldn't hurt anything.
I agree with RonL.
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2008, 01:51 PM   #5
milehigh
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks for the replies guys. The Egg was to the point where i probably could have held at 200 for another hour or so. Thought about
1) moving to oven
2) Foiling and leave in the Egg
3) Remove grate,drip pan, and plate setter and add charcoal

Did #3 and got pit temp up to 300 and got to 190 degrees about and hour later. Foiled and coolered for another hour to finish. Came out great.
It is just kind of a PIA to break down the egg to add charcoal, especially when your that close.
Would you have foiled before putting in the oven?

Paul
milehigh is offline   Reply With Quote