oink
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-19-2008, 10:01 AM   #1
motley que
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Help me restore the red kettle

It was in worse shape than I expected but for $30 why not. so give this restoration challenged person a guide on how to fix it up to its glory.

Its definately old as its got the 3 daisy wheels.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP2013.jpg (54.9 KB, 379 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP2014.jpg (46.4 KB, 375 views)
30 qt outdoor cooker
Blue Drum Smoker
Red Drum Smoker
Orange Drum Smoker
Weber Smokey Joe - my 3 yr olds pit
Blue Thermopen
Harbor Freight Weed Burner

Tired, but wiser for the time
motley que is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2008, 10:05 AM   #2
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

If you don't mind sinking some time and $ into it, I'd sand it down and have it powder coated.

Pineland Liberator

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2008, 10:41 AM   #3
kitch
Full Fledged Farker

how old are the red ones???

I just picked up one yesterday for $15 bucks...but going to part it out for my next UDS
SNPP
Barrel cut in half
and an barrel becoming an UDS
kitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2008, 10:47 AM   #4
StLouQue

I could get you the contact info for a guy in Illinois who ceramic coats motorcycle exhaust pipes. He also paints in porcelain. He tells me that is expensive, however. The cost could possibly exceed that of a new grill.

Old 09-19-2008, 11:19 AM   #5
swamprb

Take a look at the thread I did on the Red Weber rescue, that one is pretty harsh, but as long as you don't care that it won't be perfect it can clean up OK. I really prefer the old style bottom daisy wheel kettles.
Dupli-Color Engine RED is the closest match I've found. I'd drill out the rivet on the top vent and mask off the rusted/chipped areas as close to the edge of the remaining porcelain as possible and paint the chipped spots, let it dry and paint again, building up the layers. None of mine have been THAT bad but one can of paint and a chitload of masking tape will do the job.

I had kind of an assembly line going and rehabbed 4 REDS this shot, and did a couple before and have two more waiting in the wings.

It's kinda bizarre the lengths I've gone to keep these out of the landfill, all of these were freebies, which I flip and keep the Master-Touches for myself to use on the drums and for a comp kettle.

After I've got a few coats of paint on them, I remove the tape and use a razor scraper to blend the masked paint into the chip, use fine steel wool to get overspray off and use Meguiars "Mirror Glaze" #7 sealer and buff with a cotton rag-the color just pops right out!

I wouldn't waste the money to powder coat one, TVWBB did a RED WSM and it was reported to have turned orange over time.

REDS RAWK!!

KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2008, 12:02 PM   #6
kitch
Full Fledged Farker

hmmm...

I guess i'm not going to throw the bottom of mine...

interesting...
SNPP
Barrel cut in half
and an barrel becoming an UDS
kitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2008, 12:03 PM   #7
417bullelk
Full Fledged Farker

Dang..nice work Brian. Que..that should be a fun restore project. Keep us updated!
Weber WSM...Finally!!
Weber Performer
Weber 18.5" Kettle and a 22.5" Kettle
Weber Smokey Joe Platinum w/One Touch Mod.
Weber Smokey Joe Silver, A Charbroil Gasser, A Little Red Campfire.
417bullelk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2008, 12:14 PM   #8
swamprb

Default Hold onto your bottom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitch View Post
hmmm...

I guess i'm not going to throw the bottom of mine...

interesting...
And what did I do with all the bottoms, when I used the lids for UDS's?

The Weber "Redneck firepit"

Old 09-19-2008, 01:02 PM   #9
BobBrisket

Just curious, can the porcelain be sanded down to a smooth, tapered edge where it has been chipped, or is it just too dang hard? Seems if you sanded the edges smooth, you could re-paint the entire thing and you wouldn't see the edges of the chips as much.

That old girl is still worth saving though!
UDS, Pit Barrel Cooker-Courtesy of Poobah, WSM, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver B, Lil' Chief Smoker, Lodge Sportman Grill, Backyard Fire Pit, Dutch Ovens, Discada Set Up!
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment......"You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty! RIP
BobBrisket is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2008, 04:59 PM   #10
swamprb

I tried painting a Black lid and the paint doesn't adhere to the porcelain.

Old 08-04-2010, 07:16 AM   #11
DaveMW
is One Chatty Farker

I know this is an old thread but was hoping there were photos of the completed grill. I was just given an old Weber kettle (3 daisy wheels on bottom) and was looking to restore it as well. Several questions come to mind if anyone on this thread can provide answers as I am a newbie at this.
1) Can't I prep the kettle (clean, sand etc) and just repaint the entire kettle with high temp (1200 degree) paint?
2) Should I even try the trouble of restoring the bottom parts (some rust and dings in these parts) or should I just buy the $23 kit for the bottom that gives you everything from the kettle down?
DaveMW is offline   Reply With Quote