The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 09-18-2008, 08:12 PM   #1
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Jack Daniels Invitational/AR/GAB Tun in Boxes

Been reading the thread on the Jack draw, and I'm really excited for the Brethren teams that were chosen to attend and a bit sad for the ones that didn't make the draw.
This was my first season as a competition cook and I've had a blast! I have learned so much from the seasoned pros here, that I'm really looking forward to the next comp. (which will probably be in April??)
Anyway-I'm wondering if anyone thats been to the Jack has pics or links of turn ins of theirs they'd like to share? Or Royal and GAB turn ins for that matter, the stuff that got you to the top!
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-18-2008, 08:44 PM   #2
Podge
is One Chatty Farker

Well, with presentation being an important part of the overall score, i don't see many teams posting their secret presentations that they've scored well with in the ARI or the jack. Not trying to be mean, but if you got a 1st in a catagory at any of these two events, i don't think you'd want to show it to the world.
Podge is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-18-2008, 10:35 PM   #3
swamprb

Yeah- you have a point! I was thinking more along the line of people that made it and were proud to show off their efforts. It is asking a lot.
I've figured this past season Presentation was something I needed to focus on a bit more. I know I got solid scores in Appearance and took a lot of ribbing for making my boxes like "putting greens" when it was a meat competition, but I figured if I ain't got the game it might as well look good! So its a stretch and for a new guy sometimes its a little thing that makes you slap yourself and think of the obvious.

Unread 09-19-2008, 08:33 AM   #4
U2CANQUE
is One Chatty Farker

It takes a lot of practice to get the right look you are going for, and it is hard to give those hours of practice away. You will get a lot of information here, guidance, and the what not to do's....but, the little things are ones that you have to come up with that makes it your own. I do lots of practice boxes, picture, compare/contrast....even with it being the lowest weighted area, ask teams who won/loss by ten thousandths of a point how important it is....and what do you eat first with....eyes......nose.......there are tons of picture ideas though here, and then just build on it from there.....
Cleveland, Ohio

Jambo (J-3) Black on Black-with Hot Rod Flames
FEC w/ IQ4
U2CANQUE is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-19-2008, 09:01 AM   #5
ique
is One Chatty Farker

I can't seem to find any pics of my BBQ turn-ins

But here is the chefs choice we did a few years ago... Lobster Pot Pies

Last edited by ique; 09-19-2008 at 10:08 AM.. Reason: fixed bunk links
ique is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-19-2008, 09:16 AM   #6
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 4

wow.. they look light and airy.

:)

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-19-2008, 09:22 AM   #7
Jorge

Puff pastry?

BOOGITY, BOOGITY, BOOGITY!!!

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-19-2008, 09:40 AM   #8
ique
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
Puff pastry?
What? You want the recipe too?

Unread 09-19-2008, 09:49 AM   #9
Jorge

If the picture had a little more detail, I think I could figure it out....

BOOGITY, BOOGITY, BOOGITY!!!

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-19-2008, 09:57 AM   #10
YankeeBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

This was our first place chefs choice entry from the Jack last year (Short Ribs, Collard Greens and Creamy Grits)

This post is my opinion and mine alone, not necessarily that of the KCBS, it's board of directors or office nor that of Peter Pan, Tinkerbell and certainly not Rush Limbaugh.
YankeeBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-19-2008, 10:09 AM   #11
ique
is One Chatty Farker

Alright, I fixed the links.

Unread 09-19-2008, 10:21 AM   #12
Podge
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2CANQUE View Post
It takes a lot of practice to get the right look you are going for, and it is hard to give those hours of practice away. You will get a lot of information here, guidance, and the what not to do's....but, the little things are ones that you have to come up with that makes it your own. I do lots of practice boxes, picture, compare/contrast....even with it being the lowest weighted area, ask teams who won/loss by ten thousandths of a point how important it is....and what do you eat first with....eyes......nose.......there are tons of picture ideas though here, and then just build on it from there.....
I'm one of them. Lost a G.C. by .0008 in Madison, and missed a G.C. in Nashville, In. by 4 points. Just another point or 2 in appearance from any of the 20 judges on a sheet (minus the 4 dropped) could've made all the difference. Appearance, like taste and tenderness, should be taken seriously.

Unread 09-19-2008, 10:22 AM   #13
Podge
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeBBQ View Post
This was our first place chefs choice entry from the Jack last year (Short Ribs, Collard Greens and Creamy Grits)
Damn Steve !!..

Unread 09-19-2008, 10:32 AM   #14
swamprb

I realize now that this was a loaded question/request and can't blame anyone for not sharing with the world what got them to the top of the game. I really do take the time to go through teams with websites that do show off some of their entries, and try to judge contests in my area when not cooking. I pretty much credit Chris/iQue for sharing his chicken thigh tips here, that really helped me improve my scores! I've helped out a couple cooks that spent time in foodservice and was amazed at how little time they spent on their boxes and they looked fantastic, I just don't have that thing going for me. I was hoping there were some links from past contests or even "Food Stylist" BBQ links out there.

I asked a while back for pics of IBCA turn ins, and someone PM'd me and said its just meat on a piece of foil in a styrofoam box! I just had to know.

Unread 09-19-2008, 10:38 AM   #15
JD McGee

You wouldn't happen to be "shiggin" for Ty now...would you?
Northwest BBQ Society
We cook on MAK Grills , Big Poppa Drum Smokers, & WSM's
Proudly sponsored by Big Poppa Smokers, Kosmo's Q, Simply Marvelous BBQ, and MAK Grills
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote