喂我西摩
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-18-2008, 03:48 PM   #1
one2bbq
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Smoked Chicken Wings

I going to smoke some wings this weekend. Should I brine them or just marinate them in some hot sauce?
one2bbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2008, 04:21 PM   #2
Mokin Bandit
On the road to being a farker

My suggestion is dont smoke them, grill them. Crispy skin is much better than soft skin. The way i do mine is put a seasoning on them and let that sit for say an hour then add some hot sauce for maybe another hour. I do these alot for tailgating. I usually season them up before I leave and then add hot sauce while I am getting the grill ready.

Seasoning will depend on how hot you want it. Basics like salt, pepper, and garlic are good. And chili powder to kick it up a little. Throwing some brown sugar in there gives it a sweet taste and ands a little char.
Mokin Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2008, 04:23 PM   #3
cmcadams
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I smoke and fry them... or fry and smoke them. Get some oil hot (375 degrees), put the wings in the oil for 5 minutes, then drain. Add your hot sauce, then smoke for about an hour or so, until the wings hit 165 internal temp.

Livefire Whisky

CBJ, some comps, a few awards, Certified Artisan Steak Taster.

XL Big Green Egg, Bubba Keg Convection Grill, Weber Kettle, Charbroil Infrared and mad livefire cooking skillz! :)
cmcadams is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2008, 05:36 PM   #4
wheels61
Full Fledged Farker

i put the wings,thawed and disjointed,in a zip lock. add some olive oil, seasoning of choice and let set 1-8 hours (doesn't seem to matter). smoke for about 2 hours. you could eat them after that but we have been frying them for a minute or two. i have never been a big wing fan but these are really good.
Pit Boss by American Barbecue Systems w Digi Q
All Star by American Barbecue Systems
Weber
Cowboy Campfire Grill
Char-Griller Duo
wheels61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2008, 05:55 PM   #5
Arlin_MacRae
somebody shut me the fark up.

I rub the little beauties, then pop them into a smoker. No mop, no spray, let them cook. They'll be somewhat crispy and not soft at all. It depends on your temps, of course.

NB El Dorado Offset, Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Black Thermapen, red backlit Thermapen
Certified KCBS BBQ Judge
Missin' KC...
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2008, 06:03 PM   #6
BBQ Grail
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcadams View Post
I smoke and fry them... or fry and smoke them. Get some oil hot (375 degrees), put the wings in the oil for 5 minutes, then drain. Add your hot sauce, then smoke for about an hour or so, until the wings hit 165 internal temp.

Never done them this way, but I'd sure like to try it.

But...what about smoking them first and then tossing them in some hot oil to crisp up the skin before adding hot sauce.

Would that work...

The best way to reach me is with email: larry@thebbqgrail.com
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2008, 06:34 PM   #7
Smokin Mike
is One Chatty Farker

what kind of smoker do you have? for me my traeger is a excellent chicken cooker, crank it all the way up, I like using Franks hot sauce recipe for my hot wings, something about butter, sauce, and something else,,,

BGE XL
Yoder 640
Yoder 1320
UDS (Snail barrel)
FEC-100 X2 one for sale!
Traeger 124 (older american made model)for sale!

KCBS, FBA Judge
Smokin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2008, 11:19 PM   #8
OUT OF ORDER
Full Fledged Farker

i brine for about 3 to 4 hrs then rub with a basic rub then let set overnite ,smoke for about 2 hrs at about 220 then crisp on a gas grill if needed (like what arlin said depends on heat) you could raise temp at the end of cook to crisp up if i add a sauce i wait till they are crisp then add last seems to work well done hot, bbq sauce,and teriyaki same way
12" homade offset
22 1/2 webber
OUT OF ORDER is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2008, 11:22 PM   #9
thenewguy
Full Fledged Farker

I smoke and grill my wings.There never seems to be any leftovers...
thenewguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2008, 12:26 AM   #10
Bacon
is One Chatty Farker

You can do a lot of things to a chicken and it wont mind.

I have several preferences. ( If that is even an option )

One of my fav. and easiest is to season and immediately smoke them, and/or smoke and then deep fry.

Then garlic, butter, hot sauce em'

22.5" Weber OTG
Kenmore gasser
1 Super-Fast Sunkist Orange Thermapen
Hungry Apt neighbors
Certified MOINK Baller

"Anything wrapped in Bacon has to beat not wrapped in Bacon!" - Desert Dweller / circa ~ 09-14-2008, 07:28 AM
Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2008, 06:54 AM   #11
cmcadams
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by trp1fox View Post
Never done them this way, but I'd sure like to try it.

But...what about smoking them first and then tossing them in some hot oil to crisp up the skin before adding hot sauce.

Would that work...
As someone else said, you can do it that way. The reason I don't is that it gives the wings time to not be greasy at all. I like the sauce to be cooked on a bit in the smoker, and I think it leaves more smoke flavor (may just be in m mind). But my wife likes a mix of Nando's Peri-Peri medium sauce with honey, and I think that works best in the smoker, not the fryer. I like straight wild herb or garlic Peri-Peri.

If you guys haven't tried Nando's Peri-Peri sauce on wings, you're missing something great!

Livefire Whisky

CBJ, some comps, a few awards, Certified Artisan Steak Taster.

XL Big Green Egg, Bubba Keg Convection Grill, Weber Kettle, Charbroil Infrared and mad livefire cooking skillz! :)
cmcadams is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2008, 08:16 AM   #12
one2bbq
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUT OF ORDER View Post
i brine for about 3 to 4 hrs then rub with a basic rub then let set overnite ,smoke for about 2 hrs at about 220 then crisp on a gas grill if needed (like what arlin said depends on heat) you could raise temp at the end of cook to crisp up if i add a sauce i wait till they are crisp then add last seems to work well done hot, bbq sauce,and teriyaki same way
I going to try your method, ill let you know how it went. You have to trust a Vinnie Paul fan. Thanks for the suggestions everybody.
one2bbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2008, 08:22 AM   #13
Redaero
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I smoke wings all the time. I use both marinades and rubs. It takes about 1.5 to 2 hours on the WSM at 275. The skin is crisp and the wings are always gone. These were for a backyard comp this summer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1st wings.jpg (81.1 KB, 1779 views)
Redaero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2008, 09:03 AM   #14
ssbbqguy
is one Smokin' Farker

For a controlable heat recipe, you might look up KCBS poultry recipes and tips for Steve's Hot Wings. Had real good luck with these and they are easy. Enjoy, Steve.
ssbbqguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2008, 09:08 AM   #15
gpalasz
is one Smokin' Farker

I never smoked just wings. When I do a whole bird though...I always grub on the wings first...they are always moist and skin is crisp. I think..dang I need to do just wings but never have. This weekend I am going to fire up the Stumps, got a small choice packer and some butts..think Ill throw some wings on the empty shelf. Pron to follow this weekend.
Kettle 22.5 [COLOR=blue][B]BLUE[/B][/COLOR] OTG/W rotiss
Ultra Fast [COLOR=orange][B]Orange[/B][/COLOR] Thermapen
CCW SP 101 357 125g
gpalasz is offline   Reply With Quote