UDS and 6 butts

A

AlbuQue

Last weekend I smoked 6 butts at about 7 lbs. each on my UDS. I debated whether to put a water pan or not. I ended up not. I was somewhat disappointed in the taste. They had kind of a burn grease taste to them and not much hickory taste. I noticed during the cook that I constantly had white smoke during the entire cook. I'm thinking that maybe with 6 butts over those coals there was too much grease dripping and that's what caused the smoke and different taste. Everybody loved the pulled pork but I was still diappointed. Anybody ever experience this before? Comments?

Mick

I'm not sure there's enough information here to help. What type of charcoal did you use? How many chunks? Six butts shouldn't be to much for a UDS.

I used RO lump with about 5 pieces of hichory. 3 butts on the top grill with 3 on the bottom. 14 hrs at 225-240.

I used RO lump with about 5 pieces of hichory. 3 butts on the top grill with 3 on the bottom. 14 hrs at 225-240.

Depending on the size of your wood chunks, thats alot of hickory for a drum. And remember, hickory has more of a "smoke" taste" compared to other woods, such as any fruit wood like apple, cherry, pear, etc.

My .02cts...

hhmmm...I've done that many before, and there was a lot of condensation, ie: cause for a lot of white smoke? or, too little exhaust,...
I would check my temps also...IMO...

roy

I put a drip pan above charcoal basket when I do more than 2 butts, or butts and chicken at same time.

You need to put a drip pan under the butts to catch the grease and I've expieranced the same effect and its dissapointing..

I have done several butts at once and never had a problem with a greasy taste. I am wondering if the greasy taste came from the butts on the bottom rack.

I used 5 pieces of wood intermitantly spaced for the long cook. They were probably an inch and a half to 2 inches square. Is that too much wood? Next time I do that many I'm going to separate the direct fire some way, either with my water pan or a drip pan. Thanks for the input.

Mick:

You may have over-crowded your grill. Overcrowding will create incomplete combustion as evidenced by excessive smoke. The meat could also have a bitter cresote taste.

That sounds logical. I had 3 on top grill and 3 under.

90508002.jpg

90508003.jpg

Back