oink
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:23 AM   #1
Ron_L

Default Barn Burner BarBQ, Libertyville, IL - Oct. 17 & 18, 2008 ***Results Added***

I just spoke with the organizer of this event and she asked me to spread the word that the Barn Burner BarbQ at Lamb's Farm in Libertyville, IL is definitely happening this year. There was some question about the satus of the event earlier in the year since the previous organizer moved to another job, but they are planning on holding the event and are looking for teams!

Here is the web site for more information...

http://www.lambsfarm.org/events/

and here is a link to the application..

http://www.lambsfarm.org/images/KCBS...orm%202008.pdf

I cooked at this competition with Parrothead two years ago and judged last year. It is a great venue and was a lot of fun and it is close to the Chicago and Milwaukee metro areas so local teams can get there without spending a fortune in gas!

We're planning on cooking this year and hope to see as many of you out there as possible!

The Naked Fatty!

Chicago Area Summer Gathering Planning is under way!

Southern Q Limo Elite Gravity Fed/FEC-100/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 09-11-2008, 10:31 AM   #2
Divemaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

I'm already signed up for it!
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-11-2008, 10:32 AM   #3
Scottie
Babbling Farker

If they have 25 teams, I will be there. I don't want to send my $$ in and find out that it is going to be canceled or not a qualifying contest. Then I have to try and get my $$ back.

Scottie

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-11-2008, 10:49 AM   #4
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
If they have 25 teams, I will be there. I don't want to send my $$ in and find out that it is going to be canceled or not a qualifying contest. Then I have to try and get my $$ back.

Scottie
As of Tuesday when they called me they only had 6 teams paid. Is it lack of marketing among cooks? Is it the fact that many teams showed up to support Kate and Alex? I hope they make it. I'm leaning to supporting Nelsonville because they are a longer running contest and the local business have taken over.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:56 AM   #5
Scottie
Babbling Farker

a lot of it was support to Kate and Alex. I mean, don't get me wrong, I will support it as well again this year if they get 25 teams. But right now I don't feel like losing my entry fee for a non-qualifying contest.

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle

Old 09-11-2008, 11:54 AM   #6
Bbq Bubba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford View Post
As of Tuesday when they called me they only had 6 teams paid. Is it lack of marketing among cooks? Is it the fact that many teams showed up to support Kate and Alex? I hope they make it. I'm leaning to supporting Nelsonville because they are a longer running contest and the local business have taken over.
Nelsonville would be the shorter drive....
Michigan State Lead-Operation BBQ Relief
www.operationbbqrelief.com
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-11-2008, 12:03 PM   #7
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba View Post
Nelsonville would be the shorter drive....
not for me.

Old 09-11-2008, 12:44 PM   #8
Ron_L

Quote:
a lot of it was support to Kate and Alex. I mean, don't get me wrong, I will support it as well again this year if they get 25 teams. But right now I don't feel like losing my entry fee for a non-qualifying contest.
I understand your hesitation, but if everyone holds off then they will never get 25 teams confirmed and we'll all be sitting on our hands. Unless folks want to drive to Ohio, which is a haul from NW IL and SE WI, there isn't another comp after Arthur. I'd like to see this one make it since it is so close.

The Naked Fatty!

Southern Q Limo Elite Gravity Fed/FEC-100/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser

Last edited by Ron_L; 09-11-2008 at 03:15 PM..

Old 09-11-2008, 01:12 PM   #9
Divemaster

^^^^ What he said
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-11-2008, 01:30 PM   #10
Scottie
Babbling Farker

A 23 team contest does me no good for my BBQ goals. If it gets to 25, I will sign up. I've lost an entry this year already, I don't need to keep doing that, as I won't be competing very long if it does...

I also know a little more about the contest than most. I do not think that Kate and Alex were treated very well by Lamb's the first 2 years. While I am not their spokesmen, I still saw what was going on...

Besides, I am not afraid to drive.

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle

Old 09-11-2008, 03:22 PM   #11
Ron_L

Quote:
A 23 team contest does me no good for my BBQ goals. If it gets to 25, I will sign up. I've lost an entry this year already, I don't need to keep doing that, as I won't be competing very long if it does...
I don't want to lose my entry fee, either, and I'd much rather it be a qualifier as well. Our goal for the coming year (starting now) is to make it into the Jack draw, so i want every comp we enter to be a qualifier since we don't cook all that many.

Quote:
I also know a little more about the contest than most. I do not think that Kate and Alex were treated very well by Lamb's the first 2 years. While I am not their spokesmen, I still saw what was going on...
That's unfortunate. They are good people and I know that they worked very hard to make the competition a success.

Quote:
Besides, I am not afraid to drive.
I am I think my Pathfinder is still panting after those hills around Dubuque

Actually, I'd love to do some competitions father from home and we may pick a few next year but my vacation time is limited for the rest of this year so the extra day for travel is a problem right now.

The Naked Fatty!

Old 09-11-2008, 03:47 PM   #12
Scottie
Babbling Farker

How about those hills coming out of Galena. I was stuck behind a 18 wheeler basically until Freeport. Never found a good spot to try and overtake it...

I think they really want Libertyville to succeed. I am ready to go and I have told Claudia that. She just won't get my check early... That might be the best extra $25 I ever spend...

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle

Old 09-11-2008, 05:09 PM   #13
tonto1117
is One Chatty Farker

Right, wrong, or indifferent - I'm with Scottie. The extra $25 is worth it to ensure Libertyville is a qualifier and that is in line with our goals.

Sadly, Nelsonville doesn't sound like it is with out problems either.

We're in a holding pattern to see what shakes out.

BTW.....See ya tommorow Scottie.......

Geer Pit by Jambo
FEC-100
WSM
WEBER GENISES GAS GRILL

CBJ

Bacon & eggs - Hens are involved but pigs are commited.
tonto1117 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2008, 11:28 AM   #14
Smokin' Joe
is one Smokin' Farker

We are thinking of making the trip to this one...really want to get one more in this year Any update on the # of teams??

Memphis Pro
Backwoods Fatboy
Backwoods Party
Smokin' Joe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2008, 06:27 PM   #15
Smokin' Joe
is one Smokin' Farker

Got the udpdate today...
8 paid
2 in the mail (just a guess)
1 me
2 Tonto and Scottie
So looks like 13 by my count. 12 more should be no problem in the next month.

Ford, are you going east or west?

Looking forward to meeting a few brothers
Joe

Memphis Pro
Backwoods Fatboy
Backwoods Party
Smokin' Joe is offline   Reply With Quote