The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 08-26-2008, 02:00 PM   #1
musicmanryann
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Turn-in Meat Temperature

One thing we struggled with during our first competition was keeping the meat warm when putting our boxes together. Does anyone else struggle with this, and if so/not what do you do? How important is meat temp when judges taste your meat?
musicmanryann is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-26-2008, 02:08 PM   #2
Todd Ras
On the road to being a farker

Default not sure

I'm new as well, but from what some have told me is they carry their boxes in insulated carriers like my wife uses for her dishes....maybe pyrex stuff. Not sure, if thats right or not.
Todd Ras is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-26-2008, 02:10 PM   #3
Que'inKC
is one Smokin' Farker

We usually don't worry about it too much...We don't usually start preparing the boxes until about 15min until turn-in and our meat is usually really hot (right out of cooler) at that point.

WSM w/Mods
22" Weber Kettle - Gold
Country Smoker CS-450
KCBS Member #24405
CBJ #24405
[B]R Butts R Smokin Comp Team
[URL="http://www.rbuttsrsmokin.com"]www.rbuttsrsmokin.com[/URL]
[/B]
Que'inKC is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-26-2008, 02:18 PM   #4
Rightstuff
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que'inKC View Post
We usually don't worry about it too much...We don't usually start preparing the boxes until about 15min until turn-in and our meat is usually really hot (right out of cooler) at that point.
I agree with Jeff.
Rightstuff is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-26-2008, 02:30 PM   #5
musicmanryann
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rightstuff View Post
I agree with Jeff.

Do you think though, that judges mark down if they taste meat that is on the cooler side?
musicmanryann is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-26-2008, 02:47 PM   #6
goodsmokebbq
is one Smokin' Farker

They are not supposed to specifically mark you down for cold food, but warm / hot sure tastes better.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and those that don't

http://www.goodsmokebbq.com
http://www.roccityribfest.com
http://www.nybbqchamp.com
Backwoods Party,Backwoods Competitor,Weber 26
goodsmokebbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-26-2008, 03:33 PM   #7
G$
is One Chatty Farker

I doubt a judge has ever tasted our turn ins hot, despite the temperature they may be going in to the box.
G$ is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-26-2008, 03:41 PM   #8
GaryT1
Found some matches.

I agree. By the time the turn table people change the number and get 6 on a tray and then get it to the table captains, its already cooled off quite a bit. Then when they open it for appearance, all the heat is gone.
We use a large towel when it cool out and a smaller one when its hot. This seems to work fine.
The insulated things are best, but cost more.

Good Luck.....sounds like you got bitten by the BBQ bug! :-)

GaryT1
GaryT1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-26-2008, 03:41 PM   #9
Podge
is One Chatty Farker

i don't worry about it. regardless of how hot it is going into the box, it'll cool down quite a bit by the time the judge actually chomps down on it. When i practice, i let my samples set out for about 45 minutes to see how it is too at that time.
Podge is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-26-2008, 04:04 PM   #10
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

Warm food for turn-ins is preferred but remember, your laying your warm meat on cold lettuce or parsley, kinda defeats the purpose.
Northern midwest director for OBR
www.operationbbqrelief.com
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-26-2008, 04:38 PM   #11
backporchbbq
is one Smokin' Farker

I would agree, we don't start putting the food in the boxes until 15 mins before. Besides the Pulled pork, which takes longer to prepare. The judges can't get food that is piping hot.

Question for judges, do you have any idea how long it takes from when we turn in our boxes until it hits your table?

Also when doing the kid Q I never got something hot. By the time they present all of them for appearance and then go around again to put the food on your card and you get to eat is 10 mins. I would be interested in seeing how long the entire thing actually takes from box to mouth of the judge.

1 Meadow Creek TS120 with chicken cooker
1 Weber Kettle
backporchbbq.org
backporchbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-26-2008, 04:46 PM   #12
Alexa RnQ
is One Chatty Farker

Location: the Ninth Ring of Hell, cleverly disguised as Phoenix

We've never worried about it. When we practice cook at home, we wait a fair interval and re-sample the meat to see how the texture changes as it cools. I've never used any special carrier for the turn-in box, but I don't waste any time getting it there either.

Don't practice until you get it right; practice until you can't get it wrong.
Don't overthink or undercook.

180 Brisket -- Sam's Club, Salt Lake City, UT 2014
180 Chicken -- Sam's Club National, Bentonville, AR 2013

Rhythm 'n QUE
Alexa RnQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-26-2008, 06:17 PM   #13
CajunSmoker
is Blowin Smoke!

Location: Rolling down the river between St Louis and New Orleans

Quote:
Originally Posted by backporchbbq View Post
I would agree, we don't start putting the food in the boxes until 15 mins before. Besides the Pulled pork, which takes longer to prepare. The judges can't get food that is piping hot. I've had one piece of chicken that I would have called hot. Everything else has been lukewarm at best.

Question for judges, do you have any idea how long it takes from when we turn in our boxes until it hits your table? At the comps I judged at, they were on our table within 15min of turn in time.

Also when doing the kid Q I never got something hot. By the time they present all of them for appearance and then go around again to put the food on your card and you get to eat is 10 mins. I would be interested in seeing how long the entire thing actually takes from box to mouth of the judge.

How y'all are? I'm glad you got to see me I guarontee Justin Wilson 4/24/1914 - 09/05/2001
CAJUN QUE KREWE Proud ARKLAFO
KCBS member & CBJ#24398
Twin CoonAss Ugly Drum Smokers
Brinkman Smoke King Deluxe
Brinkman Gourmet ECB with super chicken mods
Weber OTS kettle
CajunSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-26-2008, 06:23 PM   #14
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

The vast majority of the turn-in's I have judged have been "luke warm", kinda like room temperature. That is just the reality of the time line from cooking to the actual eating. No problem, no big deal.

I have had 2 (maybe 3) entries that were "stone cold", like in they came right out of the refrig or off of ice. I mean COLD.
I have no idea why.
But, they did not taste good and the texture left a lot to be desired.
Rare.

TIM
Now cooking with a Yoder YS640
Proud Pellet guy cooking on real wood.
The_Kapn is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-26-2008, 06:44 PM   #15
Smoky River BBQ
On the road to being a farker

I recently judged a backyard contest, and I know that the boxes were in the judges area within 10 minutes of turn in time. However, the boxes also sat on a table for another 10 minutes or so before they were presented to us. No one's fault, it just took that long to get through the samples. The ones towards the end were not cold, but more like room temperature. I did not see one sample that was warm, let alone hot. I don't believe that it took away much, if any, from the taste or texture of the samples, though.
Smoky River BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote