ブタ
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 08-02-2009, 11:31 AM   #1
garyk1398
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Thumbs down Wasted money on crappy Spares

Yesterday I smoked 5 racks of spares for a small party we had at my house and they were a complete waste of money

Average smoking temp was 250*.

After 3 hours in the smoke I knew something wasn't right. They look rubbery and not cooked well like all of the other ones I've done. As I was trimming them, St. Louie style I also notice more the average amount of fat.

After 2 hrs in the foil with AJ, and Br. sugar,...still looked like they weren't done right. 1 1/2 hrs out of the foil and lighty sauced I took them off. Still zero pull back. Guests were hungry and I had to serve them. Rough and fattie.

Anyone else run into this problem before?

Gary, KCBS -CBJ
Certified Nebraska MOINK Baller, KCBS - CBJ
Semper Fi, when in doubt empty the magazine
garyk1398 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-02-2009, 11:38 AM   #2
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

if they were 4 and ups you didn't cook them long enough at that temp.

If they were "enhanced" that can cause problems with texture.

If you are using the temp gauge on the actual outside of the smoker then your GRATE temp is probably too low, maybe at below 212 at times.

I don't have all the facts but I think the ribs acted stupidly.

I don't have this problem but then again I smoke ribs in the 325-350 range with no foiling of any kind.

Unread 08-02-2009, 11:38 AM   #3
gotwood
is one Smokin' Farker

Make sure they are not "ENHANCED", not sure if this is what your problem is but I dont like the product of ribs that are.
gotwood is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-02-2009, 11:43 AM   #4
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Hold it, I see your a chatty farker and probably know what grate temp is, and enhanced ribs are so I would say they could be ribs from an older pig (usually a big one, thus they may be 4 and ups so they take a little longer at low temps... remember, nothing happens under 212. Nothing to cook it, really, so when you say your at 250 average you really need to wonder how much time is spent at grate temp UNDER 212 and then back that time out... then also realize that immersing the ribs in foil and apple juice ENSURES that the grate temp is irrelevant and its the temp of the surrounding body of apple juice around it is going to be not far beyond 212 no regardless of the house temp. ... so you are cutting it close.

Unread 08-02-2009, 11:54 AM   #5
garyk1398
Babbling Farker

Sorry I shoulda posted the fact that I had my temp probe on the middle rack of my dera. The "immersing" was just the average spritzing of AJ just to spray them with moisture and sprinkle brown sugar on them. They were done exactly the same way as I've done before with the exception of a water pan on the bottom rack. I did this cuz one of my last cooks on the dera (Southwest smoker) I noticed a hot spot on the entire left side of the it. On this spare cook, the hot spot was no longer there with the water pan. Could the water pan fark up the cook? Now I'm wondering if the weren't in fact "enhanced".

Gary, KCBS -CBJ

Unread 08-02-2009, 11:55 AM   #6
cdollar
Full Fledged Farker

I think sometimes you just get bad ribs. I have had slabs turn out yucky after cooking them exactly the same as I always do. Pork doesn't have the same grading process as beef, so the quality is all over the scale.

Chuck
cdollar is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-02-2009, 12:01 PM   #7
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

I vote for either old hog or bad meat. It happens at the worst of times. When I am cooking for a party or group, I always buy extra and cook way too much to guard against bad stuff like this.

"perhaps...but then again...maybe not..."
landarc is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-02-2009, 12:54 PM   #8
warren
Full Fledged Farker

they were most likely pumped with chemicals
warren is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-02-2009, 01:24 PM   #9
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Downloads: 13
Uploads: 4

ive had stubborn racks.. a few weeks back, they were still tight after 6 hours and i had to push the temps.

for spares if they are not pulling back or starting to sweat after 3 hours, I push the temps towards 275-300 and that breaks them, then back down to finish.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-02-2009, 01:48 PM   #10
Psyco Realm
On the road to being a farker

that is true I Q some of tis mass farmed meat it dont cook right. furthermore, it oozes out gooo who knows what it may be. i solved tha problem.. I been Q with natural meat twice as much but tastes and cooks better. besides the fat makes awesome gravey for them taters
Psyco Realm is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-02-2009, 01:56 PM   #11
garyk1398
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33 View Post
ive had stubborn racks.. a few weeks back, they were still tight after 6 hours and i had to push the temps.

for spares if they are not pulling back or starting to sweat after 3 hours, I push the temps towards 275-300 and that breaks them, then back down to finish.

thanks Poob, I'll have to give that a try next time...hopefully there won't be a next time!

Gary, KCBS -CBJ

Unread 08-02-2009, 02:17 PM   #12
Diver
Full Fledged Farker

[quote=barbefunkoramaque;987419]

I don't have all the facts but I think the ribs acted stupidly. [quote]
very funny line funk..

I had a similar experience last week during a practice cook on my UDS. Thanks for posting and thanks everyone for the advice.
Diver is offline   Reply With Quote