Practice Boxes

Sticks-n-chicks

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Cook went great, the boxes were rushed and look sloppy let me know what you think. Doing another practice labor day weekend.

Greens look a little blah....

Actually the whole box is sorta plain looking.

Do you really want feedback on these boxes? Why not do some that aren't rushed and sloppy instead? Honestly, a 5 is the highest I'd give them, so I'd rather see you try if you really want feedback.

I would go thru the comp threads and look at some of the others boxes and make changes to yours accordingly.

...the boxes were rushed and look sloppy ...
Well, it's a good start to admit it.
I am by no means a pro at turn in boxes. I did my first boxes ever at a comp this weekend. I can see in my pics many things I did not see real time.
I second what's been said before. If you're gonna practice turn in boxes, practice in earnest.
The chicken box was really the only one close to being presentable, IMO. The thighs looked good, but could have been trimmed better before cooking.
When you put in your garnish, cover the bottom of the box entirely. Don't have garnish sticking up.
Let's see pics after next weekends practice.

The food looks like I'd eat it, good! I'd put more garnish around the meat. I'd point the rib bones down, the first thing I say was bones, pork looks good, beef not evenly spaced. Chicken same, garnish.

Sometimes best to wait

I agree sorry to waste your time on these, I tried to delete the thread after I hit submit, oh well Sunday morning not always the clearest.

Again, sorry for wasting your time on these. I will put some good ones up over labor day.

Ribs - Don't show the bones. Put the bone end of the rib under the others and put to the back of the box. I can't explain this, but they don't look "done". I don't know if it how the bark looks or how the slices look, but they look a little "stiff" like they aren't going to be tender. Were they tender or chewy? I'd give you a 5.

Chicken - That skin looks like it is going to be rubbery. It is all stretch out like a fat lady in a girdle. Skin doesn't cover very well. Color look okay, but the edges where there is no skin doesn't look good and will probably be dry. I'd give it a 5 (because I don't believe in 2-4 for scores. A 5 is deadly enough.

Pork - Looks dry and toss in (but you covered that). Good bark, so I'll give you a 6.

Brisket - I need a closer picture, but you are getting a 6 just as is because of how sloppy it is. Straighten up your slices so they are facing the same direction and have the same distance from each other. Don't show half of the face of one slice and then a sliver of the next.

Not a problem S-n-C. We will be right here waiting to see the new boxes just as opinionated and sassy as ever.:mrgreen:

You know what S-n-C?
You're trying, and you're learning. Hopefully you are able to build on what you have read so far.
BTW, everything I know about turn in boxes I learned in the Comp BBQ section of this website. These folks know what they are doing.

Back