MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 08-19-2008, 12:39 PM   #1
BBQSMYBFF
Banned

Default Professional judging, or lack thereof

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeBBQ View Post
Congrats to all the winners and anyone who got a call. We got shut out this weekend. We went behind the trailer and cried for a minute or two but it's all good now.

i think everyone did because of the poor judging.. i have not been in the competition end of this stuff very long but i know good bbq and i know what tastes good.... since i refuse to dumb down my bbq for those judges we got beat for it... the food was amazing and yet nothing.. not even a walk.. we got 899,789, 887, 765, and 764 in one category... and then i get a 4 from one judge on APPLE TENDERNESS!!?!? what a joke.. we made a complete flop for the apples and they loved the junk.. you know what it was!?!? A DAMN BOBOLI PIZZA CRUST WITH EVERY LEFT OVER WE HAD IN OUR FRIDGE, FROM PULLED PORK, TO HONEY HAM, TO BLUE CHEESE, MOZZ CHEESE... it was good.. but looked like hell and we took 7th!!!

judgeing at these competitions has become and joke and unless the KCBS changes their judging and gets professionals and some standardized judging into these comps i am done!!!!!
BBQSMYBFF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-2008, 01:02 PM   #2
Q Haven
is one Smokin' Farker

How do you really feel?

Q Haven BBQ, Orange, CT
qhaven.com
facebook.com/qhavenbbq

Backwoods Competitor, Backwoods Party G2, Backwoods Party
Q Haven is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-2008, 01:08 PM   #3
Transformer BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQSMYBFF View Post
judgeing at these competitions has become and joke and unless the KCBS changes their judging and gets professionals and some standardized judging into these comps i am done!!!!!
Sometimes you need to take a breath... and just move on. You'll give yourself a heart attack if you let yourself get too worked up. I'm there with you that sometimes its frustrating as to how you think the scores should be vs what comes out on those sheets (I didn't exactly think the ribs I turned in were going to end up where they did)... and I understand you spent a lot of $$ and all the other issues... I get it, I'm there with you... but...

sometimes you need to realize its just farking bbq... and there is always next weekend.
Transformer BBQ
FEC 100, Lang 60M, Jamie Geer Backyard
Viking Professional Gasser
Transformer BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-2008, 01:12 PM   #4
BBQSMYBFF
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transformer BBQ View Post
Sometimes you need to take a breath... and just move on. You'll give yourself a heart attack if you let yourself get too worked up. I'm there with you that sometimes its frustrating as to how you think the scores should be vs what comes out on those sheets (I didn't exactly think the ribs I turned in were going to end up where they did)... and I understand you spent a lot of $$ and all the other issues... I get it, I'm there with you... but...

sometimes you need to realize its just farking bbq... and there is always next weekend.

YOU AINT LYING!!!

Old 08-19-2008, 01:14 PM   #5
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

After looking in the judges room for the first time ever, I went from using sauce to geritol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-2008, 01:32 PM   #6
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:

That is one of the dumbest statements I have ever read
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-2008, 01:33 PM   #7
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC PIG ASSASSINS View Post
After looking in the judges room for the first time ever, I went from using sauce to geritol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
All espresso jokes aside that is not cool and not funny. These folks spend their own time and money to do this. They should be appreciated .....
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-2008, 01:45 PM   #8
Paola Greg
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
i think everyone did because of the poor judging...
I disagree. The judging was not poor when I did my first comp here in town 5 years ago and finished 64th of 70. And the judging will not be poor this weekend when we cook our 59th contest since that first one. There is both skill and luck involved in our sport/hobby (as in most), and sometimes we don't finish where we wished or expected to. But the one constant that remains, is that if you don't enjoy the time at a contest with friends you make along the way, and are not able to handle both the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat, then maybe it's not for you, but don't blame the judges.

Old 08-19-2008, 01:46 PM   #9
BBQSMYBFF
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck View Post
All espresso jokes aside that is not cool and not funny. These folks spend their own time and money to do this. They should be appreciated .....

They should also be standardized.. and realistic... they are not professionals and i feel if you are going to have professional barbecue comps that you should have professional judges... not someone who like to have a side of sauce with their ribs.. but someone who can judge flavors and combination of flavors... anyone can go and get a stock rub from shop rite and slap it on the smoker and top it with some sweet baby rays...

the problem is these people are one way minds and dont know what real food is.. you want real competition?! get some real judges who know food and have some culinary experience... it can not be based on a i like and i dislike.. it has to do with the way it taste and the tastes go together..

if you dont like spicy then people who use chilis are screwed?!?! thats not fair at all.. that is actually pretty pathetic.. i have tasted some of the competitions food and it is outstanding and some of them dont even get to walk or anything.. this i not just for me this is for everyone.. some of these guys really deserve better scores and some kind of standardized judging....

If there are not professional judges with experience than there is no such thing as a professional barbecue comp...

just my opinion..

Old 08-19-2008, 01:59 PM   #10
goodsmokebbq
is one Smokin' Farker

Whats wrong with sweet babys rays , seriously though what do want for experience, all CIA grads?
goodsmokebbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-2008, 02:03 PM   #11
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodsmokebbq View Post
Whats wrong with sweet babys rays , seriously though what do want for experience, all CIA grads?
Chit, I love sweet baby rays. How about a masters, better yet a phd in BBQ.
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-2008, 02:06 PM   #12
BBQSMYBFF
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodsmokebbq View Post

yes... that would be the correct experience needed.. or atleast more than a 3 hour class....

the only thingi am saying is that there should me NO AND I MEAN NO I LIKE THIS OR I DONT LIKE THIS...

that is not how judging works.. it is all wow this has great flavor, wow this box looks nice.. wow that wasabi glaze goes great with sweet rub..

that is how it should be judged.. there should be NO PERSONAL TASTE BUDS... even if it is not your favorite if it still works it still works.. that is why it is comes down to finding out what they like and sticking with it..

but i dont think you should have to go with sweet baby rays and no other spices to make these judges happy.. i just dont think there is a good handle on the judging..

would also like to put this out there that we did not finish dead last and actually did halfway decent but i am still un happy for myself and alot of others who food is awesome and should have been better judges!!!

to much inconsistancey and i have had some agree with me that are very influencial in the bbq world...

Old 08-19-2008, 02:14 PM   #13
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:

but i dont think you should have to go with sweet baby rays and no other spices to make these judges happy.. i just dont think there is a good handle on the judging..
OK. How do you explain the fact, that even with judges pulled off the street you see the same teams finishing consistently much more often than not? When you factor in the fact that judges, and cooks both have 'off' days I think the judges get it right much more often than not. You turn in the best product you can turn out on any given day, and hope for the best. That will never change as long as there are real people in the process.

You are talking about judging, which by definition is subjective.

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-2008, 02:14 PM   #14
Transformer BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

I think you're walking a fine line here... when you make blanket statements on the judges you're in a way insulting the teams that did walk and did do well. In a backhanded way you're saying that if you did well you turned in bland generic food...

Chris won brisket... so were the judges saying his was the plainest that was turned in? He was 1st place brisket at the American Royal last year out of 530? teams... were those judges wrong too?

And as a side note... if you're using a wasabi glaze at a KCBS contest... please feel free to come anywhere I'm competing.

Side Note #2: Chris, your brisket was awesome, and deserving of the scores... (I got to taste it)
Transformer BBQ
FEC 100, Lang 60M, Jamie Geer Backyard
Viking Professional Gasser
Transformer BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-2008, 02:15 PM   #15
YankeeBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
wow that wasabi glaze goes great with sweet rub..
Ummm this is a bbq/barbecue/Barbeque (however you want to spell it) competition. Shouldn't the first step be making it taste like bbq ? Just because something tastes great doesn't mean it should do well in a bbq competition.

This post is my opinion and mine alone, not necessarily that of the KCBS, it's board of directors or office nor that of Peter Pan, Tinkerbell and certainly not Rush Limbaugh.
YankeeBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote