The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 08-19-2008, 01:50 PM   #1
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Score This Chicken Box Please

Please let me know your scores on the box below, and any reasons/justification. There will likely be a follow-up, and I'll post the actual scores received. Note, I did clean up some of the sauce before I turned in.

dmp
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chicken_TurnIn_1.jpg (80.2 KB, 263 views)
File Type: jpg Chicken_TurnIn_2.jpg (66.3 KB, 260 views)
dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-19-2008, 01:50 PM   #2
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

Just a follow up so that people can judge without seeing the first score reported....

dmp

Unread 08-19-2008, 01:56 PM   #3
BBQSMYBFF
Banned

should be a 6 but i am sure they gave you atleast a 4. lol
BBQSMYBFF is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-19-2008, 02:01 PM   #4
StayDown

Downloads:
Uploads:

I think the chicken could be trimmed a bit more even. The pieces look very different in size and shape.

The garnish looks to be uneven around the edges and the pieces between the chicken detracts from the over all look IMO. The top, just left of the center line has a big piece of leaf lettuce that throws off the balance of the box in that area. The left side of the box has less garnish than the rest of the outside edges.

I would say a 6

Unread 08-19-2008, 02:10 PM   #5
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

First impression is that the chicken is buried in the garnish. Mixing types of garnish is a bit of distraction to me. Also the garnish is unruly looking. You want to have the chicken perched up on a garnish bed crying out "taste me".

As far as the chicken itself, it looks a too dark, which could just be the lighting for the picture? For some reason that makes the sauce looks like it is thickened too much and would distract from the taste.

I would give it a 6.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-19-2008, 02:12 PM   #6
Professor Salt
is one Smokin' Farker

I'd score that a 4, maybe a 5. Sorry for the harsh score, but you asked for an honest opinion.

Pieces are very uneven in shape and size. If you trim the meat square before cooking, it will help your score tremendously.

Glad to hear you cleaned up the sauce drips. Not sure if the drips are coming off your hands, tongs, or the meat itself, but figure where what's causing it and then it won't be a problem you'll need to clean up.

Greens look sloppy. A little more care in laying down your leaves evenly will frame the meat better. As it is, it just highlights the overall haphazardness of the whole presentation.
I cook on two WSM's, 22 1/2" Weber kettle, a Komodo Kamado plus UDS.
Super-fast purple Thermapen
Professor Salt is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-19-2008, 02:22 PM   #7
Rhapsody
Knows what a fatty is.

I don't care if the meat is shaped like the state of Idaho, if it looks good , it looks good. That being said, I think your on the right track, but its a little too dark. From the looks of the sauce, you just added a bit too much on some spots. You want a nice laquered look. I would score this a 6-7 depending on the light I would see it in.
Rhapsody is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-20-2008, 08:02 AM   #8
CivilWarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

I give this box a 5.

Runaway garnish, uneven sized pieces, skin shrinkage and overly dark color.
CivilWarBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-20-2008, 12:22 PM   #9
butts a fire
is one Smokin' Farker

I would give it a 6 maybe even 5.

My first inpression was wow that is dark chicken could be the lighting though, the next thing I saw was that the pieces were not very uniform, and lastly the garnish is rather distracting mainly becasue of the parsley between the pieces.

Butts A Fire BBQ Team

NB Bandera
Webber Kettle
Backwoods Party
Pro Q Excel 20
butts a fire is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-20-2008, 12:37 PM   #10
Bigmista

Without looking at any of the other scores, I would give it a 6, 7 at the most.
1. Chicken looks really dark
2. Pieces are uneven
3. Box looks lopsided because of more garnish on one side
4. Chicken looks buried in garnish

Now I'll go see what everyone else said...

Exodus 29:18
Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD.

God loves BBQ!

Bigmista Custom Spicewine Trailer - Olivia J. PIMA
Large and Medium Spicewines
Weber Ranch Kettle - E.T.

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-20-2008, 12:57 PM   #11
michiana mark
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by butts a fire View Post
I would give it a 6 maybe even 5.

My first inpression was wow that is dark chicken could be the lighting though, the next thing I saw was that the pieces were not very uniform, and lastly the garnish is rather distracting mainly becasue of the parsley between the pieces.
I share this opinion.

Weber Silver 22.5X2, UDSx2
KCBS-CBJ #16571, Member GLBBQA
Roadmaster BBQ comp team
Proud member of the Blue Thermapen Association
Certified MOINKballer Class of 2008
michiana mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-20-2008, 12:58 PM   #12
Skip
is One Chatty Farker

I'd have to say a 5. The box looks haphazard. It seems as though you placed garnish after you placed your chicken which obscures your pieces and detracts from a clean presentation. Remember you are presenting the food not the garnish. The garnish also looks like its running out of the box.

Don't mind me though. I've been told I am tough on presentation. Always seem to be 1 to 2 grades lower then the average. I wonder if that is the case. Now I get to go see how my peers graded this and see if I am the hard arse they say I am lol

Swamp Pit BBQ's freeloader

To part or not to part: that is the question. Whether ‘tis nobler in the mind to part and suffer the slings and arrows of ostentatious brothers or to not part when faced with a sea of dissent, and by compromise end it? To part: to succeed. Forever more: and by succeed to say we win.

Yeah it looks good...but how does it smell?

Member of The Big Guns BBQ Team Semper Fumantem

"you're eating tree RAT, tree RAT, you're eating RAT!" -- landarc
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-20-2008, 02:20 PM   #13
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

Okay, thank you. To those of you who gave me feedback (and that was almost all of you) I really appreciate the remarks. I want to say that when I Looked at the pictures yesterday for posting, I did not think they looked nearly as good as when I turned them in, so I am not surprised by some of the low marks you have said. I'm not sure if the box just didn't photgraph well, or if I was caught up in the moment when I made it up, or if I fixed it more after pictures. I'd certainly like to think that I pushed that big piece of garnish lower, but who knows at this point. I was in the shade when I took the picture, and I don't remember it being so dark, but hard to remember at this point.

The big reason why I wanted this judged was the sauce. I have been told by a few people that KCBS judges simply expect chicken to be saucy. Keeping that in mind, I sauced this chicken up real good, but I didn't have a brush (my fault) and each thigh took a swim in some warm sauce immediately before being placed in the turn in box. I was concerned with how the quantity of sauce affected my score. The general impression I have gotten, and please tell me if I misunderstood, is that the sauce is too "dark" but not necessarily too much. Does that mean that I should use a lighter colour sauce, or not put it on as thick? I think I need to learn the skill of putting on the sauce so that the meat is saucy as KCBS judges expect, but not to the detriment of the score. Any further advice would be appreciated.

So now for the scores in decending order...I think a lot of you will be surprised:

9-9-7-7-6-6

dmp

Unread 08-20-2008, 02:24 PM   #14
Rhapsody
Knows what a fatty is.

I really think lighting for this picture makes it look darker, if you look at the bottom piece on the lefthand side, its really nice, and the pieces get darker as they go up.
Rhapsody is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-20-2008, 02:52 PM   #15
Bbq Bubba

Quote:
So now for the scores in decending order...I think a lot of you will be surprised:

9-9-7-7-6-6
I'd say you got lucky and hit 2 rookie judges.
Northern midwest director for OBR
www.operationbbqrelief.com
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote