The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-18-2008, 09:59 AM   #1
ricksegers
Full Fledged Farker

Default Dry Aged Beef

I saw a segment on Food Network about dry aging beef. They were aging prime ribs, stanbding ribs or whatever they are called. While watching it, I wondered about dry aging brisket. My knowlege of such issues is very limited so please pardon my ignorance. Could you dry age a brisket and more importantly would you want to? Thanks

Old 08-18-2008, 10:22 AM   #2
ams14
On the road to being a farker

I saw that too on the food network, it was interesting. Dry aging makes for moister product, wet aging makes for dryer product (according to the show).

People do dry age briskets, I've read a few threads about it, if people don't chime in, try doing a search.

Old 08-18-2008, 10:33 AM   #3
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=19820
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-18-2008, 12:34 PM   #4
linhardt
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

The key criteria for dry aging beef at most dry aging processing plants are:

Temp: 34 - 37 degrees
Humidity: 70 - 75%
Air Flow
Ultra-violet light

Here is a good link. I would do this but also add in a UV light. The UV light will help control bacteria.

Dry Aging in small refrigerator

Just remember there is a lot of waste with the dry aging process, because you will have to cut off a lot of the meats crust to get to the aged meat underneath prior to cooking and eating.
linhardt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-18-2008, 04:49 PM   #5
ssbbqguy
is one Smokin' Farker

As one who grew up scraping mold, I would discourage trying such process, most of all unless one could do so as in the show segment.UV light has been one of the best things, along with better equipment. The purveyor did not think much of wet aging, confusing at best.Steve.
ssbbqguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-18-2008, 04:56 PM   #6
eagle697
is one Smokin' Farker

It seems like you couldn't dry age a brisket. When you dry age steaks you do so before you cut them into the individual steaks. You have to cut off a decent chunk off each end that is molded. Seems like the mold would cover the whole brisket and you would have to trim so much off it would make it very expensive. Maybe dry age the side of beef and then cut of the brisket? I may be wrong, just my .02.

2 NB Banderas, Imperial Kamado #5, Imperial Kamado #0, Large Grill Dome, Large Primo Kamado, 22.5 Weber Silver, 18.5 Weber Silver
eagle697 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-18-2008, 06:42 PM   #7
BobF
Take a breath!

Anyone remember Victoria Station restaurants?
They used to age the beef in a cooler that you saw as you walked in. (At least the one we went to did.) Couldn't tell you if it was 'dry' or otherwise.
The cooler was glass fronted so you could see the beef inside. They told you a little about it and how they aged it. (sorry don't remember a thing)

Old 08-18-2008, 10:23 PM   #8
eagle697
is one Smokin' Farker

This thread got me thinking. I looked around on another forum and saw a post from someone in CA that had a brisket dry aged. He said he had a 30% loss due to shrinkage. He thought it was too aged at 8 days. Too tender. There is a meat co. there that dry ages meat for you. Sounds intriguing. I have only ever wet aged. May have to try it sometime.

2 NB Banderas, Imperial Kamado #5, Imperial Kamado #0, Large Grill Dome, Large Primo Kamado, 22.5 Weber Silver, 18.5 Weber Silver
eagle697 is offline   Reply With Quote