The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 08-14-2008, 12:34 PM   #16
CivilWarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQNUTT View Post
Found this on about.com...

The smoke rings is caused by nitric acid building up in the surface of meat, absorbed from the surface.
That's article is not exactly correct, but it's reasonably close.

And while it's true that smoke ring is not supposed to be judged in KCBS, it is a positive factor in appearance for most judges. If you were to present two identical boxes to 100 judges, with the only difference being one brisket has a nice smoke ring and the other doesn't, I believe the brisket with the smoke ring would slightly outscore the one without.
CivilWarBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-14-2008, 01:53 PM   #17
Divemaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

I would play with the temps of the meat when you put it on and the temp of the cooker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMDon View Post
Thanks for the help so far, keep the ideas coming. I don't care to try the tender quick.
I would avoid it as well. You may end up with mild version of corned beef.

Quote:
But I will try soaking the wood first.
I would avoid soaking the wood as well. All you are going to do is generate steam and thick plumes of white (bad) smoke. You need the full combustion of the wood to produce the 'Thin Blue' that we all look for.

Also, try this. Soak an average size piece of wood for say 24 hours and cut it in half and see how much the water soaks in... In my experiance, it's no more than 1/4 inch.

Quote:
My other thought is wiping off the extra butcher block that oozes out of the meat, I had been rubbing it over the meat to help the rub stick. I wonder if it prevents the smoke from penetrating the meat.
If that was the case I would think that slathering with mustard would have the same effect but it doesn't.
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-14-2008, 03:14 PM   #18
JD McGee

Got these results on my WSM in only 3 hours @ 225-250. It's a 5 lb flat that I cooked in a foil tray for 3 hours then double foil wrapped for another 2 hours then coolered for 1 hour. This was oak and hickory chunks.

Northwest BBQ Society
We cook on MAK Grills , Big Poppa Drum Smokers, & WSM's
Proudly sponsored by Big Poppa Smokers, Kosmo's Q, Simply Marvelous BBQ, and MAK Grills
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-14-2008, 07:52 PM   #19
Plowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pickled Pig View Post
The liquid acts like a conductor and enhances the smoke. Your ring will be even less pronounced if you wipe it off first. Cook two briskets side by side and you'll see a noticeable difference.

Agreed. I get amazing smoke rings on my FEC-100. Ironic for a pellet cooker, eh? I always leave the Butchers on that oozes out.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-14-2008, 09:27 PM   #20
Jeff_in_KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by G$ View Post
Jeff, how far closed do you run the exhaust on you SW? I noticed when I cranked it closed more, the ring formed better. I think " almost two turns" open seems right. Just a thought.
Honestly, been running it a little more open than before since I started using the Guru with it. Without the guru, I was open 2 and a half turns. With the Guru, 3 and a half turns. I think I'll cut it down a bit and see what happens. Thanks!
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote